How Tight Is Too Tight?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ExpertAdvice • Jan 1, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    So, I've heard the statement being circulated that: "A lady wears clothing that is tight enough to show she's a woman and lose enough to show she's a lady,"....

and I thought to myself, "Hmmmm...I wonder how true this is?!"

I mean, when you think about it, ladies must have it pretty difficult when it comes to trying to find "the perfect outfit" to wear, not always because they're "overly obsessed" with "looking perfect", or that they're narcissistic.

It's just that there's always someone out there who's judging them in some way, just based on their attire.

So, in the end, there's always a chance that they might feel they're "going too far" with what they chose to wear, or that they feel "frumpy" or whatever the case may really be.

So, what do you think? What's the "line" that you think should be drawn so that women understand what's too tight and what's "okay"?

Lemme know!

tight clothes.

2. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    Tightness is d way to go for some individuals and it is dependent on the preference of the individual, how comfortable you feel regardless of what others think. I am over on the larger side and i am aware that if i wear large, loose clothing i will appear even bigger. It is with this in mind that i go a little close when it comes on to certain outfits especially my tops. I know that for work it cannot be too tight to the point of being 'flesh popping' as professionalism must be maintained, but i wear close fitting clothes overall.

3. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Thank you for your perspective! I definitely understand what you're saying. It really does depend upon how a person feels "comfortable with the skin they're working with" if you know what I mean. But this doesn't mean that we don't have to bend to fit the rules of acceptance that are enforced in the different fields that we interact with, like the workplace, as you alluded to.
    I, personally, think it's excessive when persons (male and female) wear clothing that emphasizes every last curve, fold, or whatever else that is on the body, for the whole wide world to see. It can't be that one's clothing leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination of onlookers.
    I think one's mode of dressing can not only show persons what's "off limits" to the average person, but only allowed for the viewing of your loved one/spouse, but it also reflects how one thinks of one's self, one's self-esteem, how one feels about one's body, one's outlook on life, whether one is a positive or negative person.
    It really can give a lot of insight into how a person thinks, and the kind of perspectives that he/she might put forward.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Skintight is out unless I am doing something that requires it. Certain things should fit closely. Like motorcycle pants and jackets, equestrian breeches, most sports and fitness wear. Even so, if I am wearing tightly fitting breeches or shorts I tend to counter that with a looser fitting top. That's just me, though. I personally don't like standing out in the way a person does when what they're wearing shows every last curve, bump or bulge; but, hey, if that's what someone else likes then that's their business. Unless, of course, they're in my family and are young enough for me to have some influence over them in that area.

5. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I think this depends on the person in a lot of ways. As has already been said, what someone is comfortable in is very important. However, I think someone's age and figure also play a role, even if that might sound a little sexist. A 20 year old who is in shape might naturally be wearing more form fitting clothing than an obese 50 year old, or an average 70 year old. I think that context is also important. On a beach, people are going to be wearing fewer and tighter articles of clothing than at a formal dinner, regardless of their age, and that is how it should be.

6. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think women got a lot more leeway when it comes to tight clothes. I would say typically, if you can't breathe in whatever it is that you are wearing then it's too tight. I know the second that I say something like that I will see someone with something really tight on that looks really good, and is probably not that tight for them. So, I guess the standard is if you have trouble breathing then your clothes are too tight.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like to draw attention to myself, so I choose clothes that're not way over the top. I don't like being squeezed to within an an inch of my life in tight clothes, or wearing loose, unflattering clothes. I just like well fitting clothes that flatter by body shape without screaming "look at me". Luckily, my husband would tell me if something looked inappropriate or didn't suit me.

By the same token, I do think that as it's a free world, everyone's entitled to wearing whatever they see fit without having to bow down to my ideal of what's decent or whatever the world dictates. That's what I admire about cities like London, you see all sorts of interesting characters out there!!! The thing I admire most about it is the freedom and confidence with which they get to be who they are without the fear of harassment or funny looks from others.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Overly tights clothes are not modest at all. Much as many women can counter that with "it's their bodies and they can dress however they please" fact is society [does] judge people by how they dress. Fine feathers make a fine bird and that kind of thing. So the tightness of clothing worn can make the wrong impression.

IMO clothing should neither be too tight nor too loose.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some women opt to wear clothes that hug their body and display their curves. Unless you're perfectly confident wearing this kind of get-up (such as the catsuit picture you provided above), then go for it. The skin-tight style goes horribly wrong when the clothes fail to make you look presentable or decent (because the color, styling or level of tightness doesn't flatter your figure). There's such a thing as selective tightness and you can go for this option if all-out tightness isn't your cup of tea. For instance, many women look good wearing skirts that are tight on the waist but flare up all the way to the knees.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If yo have the figure for tighter clothes then I say go for it. However, such clothes do show up every single lump and bump so only the really slim tend to look good in them. A better option is a slim fitting cut, something that lightly skims you.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item how and how it's worn. The same piece of tight clothing can look trashy on one person, yet classy on another. That said though, whatever someone wants to wear is nobody's business. If someone feels comfortable enough to wear something someone else wouldn't, than so be it. Good for them for feeling confident in it. People will judge regardless, so do whatever it is YOU want to do and don't think twice about others.

12. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Definitely understood! And I appreciate that perspective. It is honourable to actually counter a tight article of clothing with another that is loose-fitting, as it not only "leaves more to the imagination" of the onlooker, but I am convinced that it would make one feel more comfortable overall.
    As you have rightly said, at the end of the day, it really is up to the likes of the person who chooses to wear tight or loose clothing, and whether they feel comfortable in what they are wearing, but I still think that even if someone feels really comfortable in a considerably tight outfit, they will probably have to bend somewhat if and when they face the standards imposed on them by external sources, such as the workplace.

13. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    This could be a broad topic, first of all if your middle age you shouldn't we be wearing tight close to begin with, I've seeing a few middle-aged women wearing tight clothes trust me it's just wrong, if you don't have the body for tight clothes please don't wear it nothing more unsightly than extra skin hanging out, now that we got that out of the way If you have the body for it flaunt it, as a male I find it very attractive when a woman shows off her curves in tight clothing.

14. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    For me: too tight is if I don't feel comfortable. It also depends on the situation. I have a dirdnl (Bavarian traditional dress) that fits me pretty pretty tight; it's fine for some occasions, but not for eating and not for climbing up mountains (which I have actually done and the fabric squeezing my ribs was killing me!)

What I think about too tight clothing on others: I would not want to see my daughter with something that is so tight it makes her boob fall out and that you can see the shape of her ribs under. I also am a bit judgmental on fat people wearing too tight clothing because I wonder, what are they trying to do? Having your fat jump out of everywhere accentuates it and looks quite painful. Clothing should be made to fit, not to constrict.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like tight clothes, and I find that if you're wearing one tight item, you should wear a looser one at the other part. For example if you're wearing tight skinny jeans, wear a looser top with that. If you're wearing a very tight shirt, maybe wear a boot cut jeans or a flare. I don't like tight clothing and nowadays people do pass the limit many times. It is tight when it's not flattering and it's not comfortable.