How To Deal With Poor Service On Home Improvements

Discussion in Home & Garden started by prose • Oct 28, 2015.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I recently ordered new basement windows from a local reputable home remodeling company. They have their own installers do the installation. We researched the company ahead of time and we're satisfied with the reviews that we saw before signing the contract and making a deposit.

Our windows were installed along the same time frame they provided us. However, during the initial inspection, the company stated that the basement windows that are at or below ground level should rest on treated lumber, instead of regular lumber. The installers did not follow this up to code, and installed those windows with untreated wood.

We have been back and forth with the manager and secretary of the company for the past three weeks, I order to get them to come out to fix it. Twice, we scheduled an appointment for them to come and fix it, however they were a no-show. When we would call the manager to see what's up, they would say that the installers got busy on another job site.

Now, we have a new (third) appointment for them to come and fix the windows tomorrow. My question is, what if they are a no-show for a third time in a row? At what point do we take action, and what should that action be?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you might need to threaten to get legal on this ione. It seems to me like they're dragging their heels over this as there's no additional profit to be made. They need a reminder that the law is on your side. Advise them that you will be witholding any outstanding balance you owe until the work has been completed and that failure to comply to the terms and conditions of the contract is grounds to sue.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would follow up with the Better Business Bureau. They have been very helpful to me on more than one occasion. They are really good with contacting businesses and following up with these complaints. I am sure that you could contact the licensing authority for the builders in your county and state and report them, but I don't know if you would get compensation. Try the BBB first. If that fails go to the media. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's shoddy work.

4. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Great idea to contact BBB. They will feel the heat from someone they know means business and will get fearful and do it. Sad that it has come to that, but if that's what it takes then so be it. Please keep us updated though on if they show up or not. The manager needs to get his stuff together if he wants to continue to have good reviews. It's unprofessional and not worth it to procrastinate like that.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It could be that what they told you, the installers being busy elsewhere could be true. But if they did a shoddy job they should have prioritized fixing what they'd done wrong at your place before going elsewhere. Nonetheless I think you should call them one last time and find out when the installers will come complete the job. If they don't show up, it would be time to take more "drastic" action against them.

6. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    It's a shame that a company with a good installation reputation doesn't spend more time on making it right for you. The most upsetting thing is that they came out to do the original work with no problems, got paid and crossed you off their list. Just getting it done isn't good for business. Follow up and customer satisfaction should also be part of their business model. Hopefully, they will be out to get it right for you this time. If not then I would start the long drawn out progress of filing a complaint with BBB and any other organization that they are registered with. Unfortunately, for you that typically means more time and effort involved in a window replacement job that you hired someone to do to take away the stress and worry.