How to deal with rude customer service?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 12, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    So, it's common knowledge that if something was to go wrong in a shop, they will often give you some kind of discount in the future to make you want to shop with them again. However, what about when this doesn't work? If you have something that you want to say to them, getting in touch with customer services seems to be the thing to do, but how about when they just want to know?

I had a negative experience in this respect recently, and it left me at a loss as to what to actually do about it. Who can you ring when the people who are supposed to help you just don't want to know?

I would appreciate a little help here, and perhaps some stories of your experience from the past!

2. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    You can probably go to a website and find numbers or emails of someone higher up. It won't be easy but it can be done. Or you can find an address and write a complaint. Try and get the person's name (although I am not sure they would give you that info if you are arguing with them). I myself have had arguments with customer service reps and I have even had a couple hang up on me. They sometimes just repeat the same crap that they are supposed to according to company guidelines and don't recognize your individual situation.

3. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Wulfman here. he only way to deal with the rude customer service is to register a complaint against him or her explaining everything in detail. I am pretty sure they will help you out with your problems. Good luck with that.

4. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Social media is great for dealing with bad experiences in retail. Many organizations now have twitter accounts and actively respond to complaints. I know of several people who have had great luck on Facebook or Twitter getting resolution to these issues that previously would fall on deaf ears.
    This is especially true with the larger organizations, but even a small company will usually have a Facebook page these days.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    If a particular employee is doing a bad job I would probably just try to be really polite to them and hope it' just because they are having a bad day or something. A lot of times that's what it is. If it's a bigger ongoing issues, then definitely talk to management about it so they can make changes that need to happen to resolve the problem.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the shop here Gemma, if it is a local shop, you need to find the owner and tell them how you feel and why. If it is a chain then you can go to head office as you know, but I would give them a chance to reply before you go on twitter.

I had a poor experience with an estate agent managing my brother's flat, so I emailed the MD and told him I was coming in to see him to discuss the mess his staff had created, (basically the staff failed to alert us to what the tenant was doing and ended up getting my brother potentially getting sued for damp in his flat). My brother took to twitter and the CEO took notice, but as we had already done things the correct way, they were happy to help. If we had gone straight to social media without attempting to resolve things, then we would have looked foolish and as if we wanted attention, when we just wanted a solution.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    You should definitely complain to whoever is in charge, that's really all you can to besides not giving them any more business.
    I wouldn't ask to be put through right away, because you never know if they just pass it to a colleague, jolt their name down and call at5 a later time to speak with a supervisor.

8. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with customer service. It's a shame when they are rude to the customers. They need to remember why they have a job in the first place. If it weren't for the customers, they wouldn't be there. With that said, you should complain to the boss about the person. There's no need to have to take what they did to you.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wait, so you expected a discount after a negative experience? That's not how those things work; you can't just expect that. However, you'll have to go above the heads of the customer service department, assuming that you're not dealing with a small business where customer service is the actual owner. Chances are slim you're going to receive the response that you want, though. That's just how businesses work these days.

10. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I worked in customer service in retail and restaurant settings from 1994 to 2012. The directives we were given for handling complaints changed drastically over that time. When I started out, the idea was to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. I was instructed to offer incentives to be sure the customer returns. By 2012, I could no longer handle a complaint directly, and store managers were referring guests with complaints to a corporate hotline. Everyone makes mistakes, and customer service representatives are only human. Everyone could have a bad day. In my opinion, it's better to talk to the ocation manager, who works with the employee on a daily basis and can determine whether it's an isolated event or a trend and act accordingly.

11. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    If its severe enough then reporting it would be the best option. If you do not want to deal with the manager you can telephone or e-mail corporate and let them know about the situation. Corporate offices care about their brand's reputation, especially if its a franchise or authorized seller type place.

12. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I really haven't had the displeasure of dealing with rude costumer service. Or if I ever had, I disregarded it because mostly it is a less than 1 minute interaction and I don't usually buy a lot of things and wen I do, I don't really care about the person cashing in my stuff, most of the time I don't even look them in the eyes. That person is just there to tag your products and take your cash, not their responsibility to be polite or pleasant towards you, not your business to care about their attitude in the slightest. That's the policy I have regarding this issue.

No need for this "Im offended attitude" that is mostly prevalent in the US from my experience, in other countries people don't usually even care about small interactions like this situation. Neither do I.

13. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    It depends on the severity of the bad service. Everyone gets up on the wrong side of bed. So I noticed there might be a few workers not really in the best of moods. But there is no justification for being rude and nasty. Simply remember the persons name and ask someone else you want to speak to the manager. Tell them your concerns, but be polite. Just because you were treated unfairly doesn't give you the right to go off on someone. Make your point known, then wait for what happens next. If they apologize and fix the problem, then maybe you can become a repeat customer. If they blow you off, then never set foot in that establishment again.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should talk to the branch manager first, then if it doesn't work out, then that's the time that you should start exploring your options and start contacting people of higher positions in the company. Or like what the others have said, you can also complain online.

15. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    Anytime im dealing with rude customer service I remain nice and smile and stay polite. But it tends to piss them off even more. Go figure! just let them have their bad day.