How To Decide What To Read

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Paige Hilderbrand • Jun 2, 2015.

1. Paige Hilderbrand

Paige HilderbrandNew Member

Threads:
    I have an obsession with books. I am always reading and looking for new books to read. I scour Pinterest for book lists, watch book hauls on YouTube and browse Goodreads for hours. I am constantly learning about new books that I want to read, and when I am ready to read a new one it is hard to decide which one to read next. I write down the name of an book that I want to read on a little piece of paper and put it in my "Book Jar". When looking for a new book, I simply pick one out of the jar! How do you decide what to read next?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually go on Amazon and scour the kindle store for ideas. As I'm searching, I also get a list of similar material to consider. Plus Amazon also sends me book ideas via email all the time, based on my reading history. I'm also a member of a Facebook page where we swap book ideas all the time :)

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I like to read the story summaries on the back of books or on Amazon. I tend to find an author I really like and then read all of the books he or she has written. My new favorite author is Elin Hildebrand and I have now read through all but one of her books. I also look at best seller book lists and reading club book lists for inspiration.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I normally go with what the current trends are because I like reading well written books. I do ask various other individuals for their opinions and then check out reviews online. Sometimes the train stations in Toronto here advertise different books and I tend to check those out as well. I've never checked out Amazon for latest reads though, I may try that out.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m another one who tends to find a favorite author and then try to read their whole back catalog. Some of them, I’ve found via lists like 1,001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (also how I’ve found a lot of great music). And then I seek out lists of similar authors that people also enjoyed.

Other than that, it’s somewhat random. I’ll find a quote that intrigues me on Tumblr or Pinterest, and then I’ll try to find its source. It’s how I’ve found myself reading quite a few books I may never have heard of otherwise. Or occasionally I’ll take someone’s recommendation and find myself quite pleased.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on my mood whether I would love to indulge myself into a suspense thriller or a young adult romance now. Also, it depends on what book is available for me to read. Just like you, I am always looking for good novels to read. My favorite go-to site when it comes to finding new fiction is Goodreads because they have offer interesting book lists.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I decide what to read next by simply not looking. I know that sounds strange, but I allow books to find me rather than seeking them out. This method has worked wonders in my life. I always seem to attract the right book that is relevant to where I am in life - or even if it has one line in it that I needed to hear. I love to read, but I allow the pertinent books to find me. Hasn't failed me yet.

8. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I do almost the same as you, except I choose what to read depending on what mood I am in at the moment. I don't actively look for books to read, but every time I hear someone mention a book I look it up and if it seems interesting I buy it. After that it's just in my collection until I'm in the mood of reading it.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the weird thing about me: I read on a whim. I'm not really organized so my choices are rather haphazard. On a more positive note, this happens because I have a strong affinity with books so picking what to read next is like a no-brainer chore for me. I basically know what I want and when I'm in the mood to read a particular novel, I do so without hesitation. For instance, any book written by magical realist and urban fantasy authors (e.g. Haruki Murakami, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende, J.K. Rowling, etc.) will without a doubt be read by my fantasy-prone self. Young adult and coming-of-age novels with philosophical and psychological undertones are also my cup of tea so I'm always eager to read them.

10. yvannahgeorgianne

yvannahgeorgianneNew Member

Threads:
    I could totally understand! It's hard to pick just one book. I have all these books I want to read but when I'm already in the bookstore, I see more books I want to read as well, and the list just goes on. There are just too many of them lol. To solve this, I stick to one author at a time. After I've been able to read all of his books that I like, I jump to another book and research about the other works of the author.

I could definitely do that jar thing. That's a great idea!

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a backlog of books to read and I really just pick them according my mood and needs. If I want something serious, light hearted or easy to read. I read both fiction and non-fiction when the mood takes me. I still prefer a physical book, but as I have so many e-books I keep meaning to read them.

12. bodiesstretch

bodiesstretchNew Member

Threads:
    After I've finished a book, I always look up the author to see what else they have for me to read. If that's not an option, I use sites like whatshouldireadnext.com. They haven't disappointed me thus far.
    Sometimes I read books my friends recommend. This way I can discover some new authors I wouldn't have though of otherwise.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The process of finding a book is much simpler for me. Since I don't want to spend a penny on books [seeing there are thousands of free books on the net] all I ever do is visit either Manybooks.net or Guternberg and choose a random book. I believe all authors have something to say so I don't discriminate any more. If the book isn't interesting or doesn't tell a riveting story, I delete it and get another. You wouldn't say the same for books you buy :)