How To Determine Your Size For Ordering Online?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by bluebetta • Jul 25, 2016.

1. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    When I try on jeans in a dressing room, I can pick 4 pair all that say they are the same size on the label, and sometimes one is too large, the other too small, and even though two of them actually fit, only one may look good on my shape. I also have similar problems with shoes. It seems easier to find a fit in skirts and tops though, so maybe it is my particular build. Since many times brands vary in their sizing, how can I order certain clothing items with confidence online? Are there certain tricks to knowing if it is a brand that runs a little large or small?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sizing will still vary according to the style even if it is the same brand. Some will give exact measurements for articles like Banana Republic which is helpful and others have a size chart. The important thing is to order honestly and not a size you want to be. Shoes are harder, because they need to feel comfortable as well as fit. I have always had problems with shoes and won't buy them unless I can return them for free.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    They give you a sizing chart. You can measure, and usually that will works out. But there is still the problem tat somethings just don't look good, even though they fit. I have had to return things once or twice.

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I usually base my size on the size guide that online stores tend to have as a feature in their apparel section. I take a measuring tape and compare measurements. I usually allow two to three inches allowance before deciding what size to get. It is more practical to get in a physical store than online, but online is more convenient.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Most online shopping sites provide a size chart on their website. However, I experienced with these charts some are difficult to understand and there are others which the size sometimes don't satisfy expectations. There is also this difference between Asian sizes and those from the United States. I have also had some difference withing the US sizes. I have ordered from the same site but for example, the large is bigger on one occasion than it is on another occasion so you may have inconsistencies withing the same category. You may have to just trust to luck sometimes.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well even if it were a formula that were 100 percent guaranteed and backed by everyone on the planet and there were no issues with any previous orders, I would still not trust it and find some way to end up with a shirt that three sizes too big. No matter how hard I try or how much time I invest, I always end up getting the wrong size. I am talking like 0 for 20 at this point...which is pretty bad.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's why I almost never shop for clothes online especially the items that tend to vary in sizes. Still I do purchase these items from time to time if there is no other option. I'd say the best method you have is to just look at their own specific sizing chart and compare it with your own measurements so as you increase your probability of getting something that fits as much as possible. Otherwise it usually takes me a purchase or two to really get accustomed to a store's sizing which really isn't half bad since most of the time you could just return the item if it doesn't fit anyway.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I start by reading some reviews to see if the item is "true to size." Some stuff runs really large or really small. It's also best to use measurements rather than sizes (and to measure carefully, especially for really fitted stuff). It's a good idea to pay close attention to the return policy as well. Will you have to pay for shipping? What about return shipping if the item doesn't fit like you want it to? What is the return policy and how long do you have?

Shopping online can be great, but some stuff might be best bought "in person." Unless it's a brand you're very familiar with and you know the exact size and style, I think jeans are easier to buy when you can actually try them on (even if they fit, they might not look like you want them to look, etc.).

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always hear people saying they are a bit wary to order online because of sizing issues. However, I always seem to get my size right. I shop online a lot for clothes and shoes, but have yet to return anything because it wasn't the right size. I mainly know how my favourite stores size their clothes, and just go off that as my guide. For instance, I know giant UK retailer Next is very generous, so I go smaller sizes. But if I go shopping on Asos, which carries a lot of designer gear, I know the sizes tend to be smaller, so I account for that. I also let the style and cut guide me. The same thing goes for shoes. I'm a tiny size 3 adult shoe size, but depending on the style, I may have to go down to size 2. IDK I just seem to have the knack of picking the right size.

10. MarshCat

MarshCatNew Member

Threads:
    This is something that has frustrated me to no end! I can measure, measure, measure and still get it wrong. Especially with bras. And I have lost a lot of weight too, so sometimes I think I know my size, and I don't.

My best advice, after having many disappointing experiences is this:

1. Only order from places that allow returns. Even if the item is a clearance item, if you can't return it and it doesn't fit, that is a waste of money. I don't take chances anymore.

2. Find a bra/dress/jeans (or whatever) in a size and brand you like in the store first. Then you know what works and you can use that as a jumping off point. For instance, I found a brand of jeans that works for me (Lei, in juniors sizes) and now when I lose weight, I just go on ebay and find a pair of the same jeans in the next size down. I then put the ones I can't wear anymore onto ebay and sell them myself.

3. As for assistance from sales people/online chat. You may be surprised by how helpful they can be. I learned a lot about how different bra styles fit different shapes from the chat helpers at Her Room.

11. Sandy Mayfield

Sandy MayfieldMember

Threads:
    Stick to the same couple of brands. It's extremely hard to find your size at times because they can vary greatly by brand and material. Also, great return policies are always a lifesaver.

12. annacath

annacathNew Member

Threads:
    Here is some opinion of myself.
    Get Some Accurate Measurements for Your Body, and Keep Them Up to Date.
    Get a professional to take them for you.
    Take them yourself (or have a friend help you out.
    Choose the Right Retailers and Always Check the Sizing Charts
    Make Notes On Brands, Retailers, and Designers You've Bought Before.
    Go Custom with Made-to-Order Clothing.
    Here is always what I do before I decide to make order. Hope this helpful.