How To Find Out If My Free Anti-virus Is Actually Effective?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by luckycharm • Dec 24, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I use a free version of Avast antivirus and it’s almost silent in my system. I am under the impression that it’s doing its duty and my PC is free of dangers. But how can I find out if an anti-virus is actually doing its work? I am curious to know if there is a way to find it out.

Even though my anti-virus is active in the system it’s not giving any warnings against any suspicious sites. It did not catch any viruses too. May be my computer is clean and the sites I usually visit are safe, but I just wanted to confirm it but how?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are websites that offer free computer scan. Your entire computer will be checked for a probable virus. In case your anti virus is not that effective then the free scan will catch a lurking virus inside your hard disk. I avail of that free scan once in a while when I am idle in my computer.

3. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Can you suggest any websites where I can run security check for my computer. I have never scanned my computer through website. I use a desktop antivirus, which is a free antivirus. So far I have not encountered any problems, thus,I consider my antivirus to be working properly.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am actually looking to downoad a free trial antivirus but I want something that lasts beyond a month. Can anyone suggest a good one for my laptop?

I just search on Google for online virus scanners and scan my laptop once in a while.

5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this valuable suggestion. Can you recommend some sites to do this online? I know that there are a number of sites that offer free scan of hard disk. But I haven't done that because I was quite skeptical about the possible security risk. As mentioned by you if my computer comes out clean after the scan then I think there is no point in doubting my my current antivirus.

I think Avast is not competent enough to catch malware programs. When I scanned my computer using Malwarebytes it could catch a few malware programs when Avast was already active.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One good website for free scanning of your computer is

. But what I have been using is pitstop.com. Some sites with free anti-virus for download also have the free on-site scan like AVG and AVAST. However, I always use on-site scanner and clean my computer using downloaded anti-virus although there are some sites that offer free removal of malwares and viruses.