How To Get A Free Or Cheap Massage

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Aug 11, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine told me how one student who wanted to be a hair stylist "begged" her [my friend] to be her "guinea pig." Each week [for a number of months] she'd get her hair done free.

Apparently anyone interested can get free or relatively cheap massage in massage schools. Feeling stressed? Call up the nearest massage school and ask them about free massage offers. If they aren't offering any at that time, you can get a cheap massage appointment with one of their students.

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah typically if there are some sort of school near you (massage, hair salon, acupuncture, etc) you can get discounted or free services because the students need practice. I've also heard of people who live near big dental schools and medical schools calling the university up to see if they can use some volunteers for the professional-in-training. It's a win-win situation; someone gets their treatment done, and the student gets practice.

It's only good if you don't mind being a guinea pig and don't care about spending more time than you normally would to get whatever service you want done.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have done this, I don't think any of them offer massages for free at least not around here, but massages schools usually do it bout 2/3 less than a commercial establishment. I will ask them if they ever off freebies...but I doubt it. Sadly the nearest massage school is an hour or so from here.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Although we have hair and beauty schools that offer anything from beauty treatments to cutting and coloring at ridiculously low prices to anyone prepared to be a guinea pig - I can't say that I've heard of any massage schools offering that service or for that matter any massage schools either - but that said - both would be excellent ways of saving money on your hair and beauty requirements - if you weren't too pushed for time or overly fussy about the outcome.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very particular when it comes to massage. I don't want to have just anyone's hands on my body. If I get "rubbed" in the wrong way, I feel bad all day. And I really don't need that. It happened to me once, when a flat mate's friend, a massage apprentice, asked me whether she could work on my back. Those 15 minutes where horrible, as this apprentice had, in my opinion, absolutely no feeling or talent for massage.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can always get a cheaper massage through the massage schools, although the quality might be lacking if your student has no idea what he or she is doing. Otherwise, freebies are sometimes available through the schools, and the same applies to actual massage places from time to time as introductory offers for new clients. I've found that it's usually best to find a good massage place and then pay for their services and take advantage of discounts when possible.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, there are lots of schools that will give drastic discounts like this. You can get your hair done, massages, and even teeth cleanings for much cheaper.

Just know that they may not be as good or you may end up hurt even, so if you're not willing to settle for lower quality, then don't try this out.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Haha! This is really true,for example, when I was in college, the School of Beauty and Health had a day where they had their students do all that Spas and other beauty shops do..so you know who went :) . The fact that things like these can be done is good because you end up saving money by getting it almost free. The downside is, that this is not done on a regular basis.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Using schools to get inexpensive treatments is a good way to save some money. My daughter is an instructor at a hair school where they do have the public coming in to be used as hands on experience for the students. It is a win win for both people the students get experience and the clients gets a reduced service.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be wary of anything that is inside my body already, like getting dental work done, but I would be game if it's something external, like a free haircut or make-up session. I have also seen some blind people giving massages in lower class malls, and I assume they charge lower.

11. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I have really bad luck with things like that. I would be the unlucky one who would get the guy with a hook for a hand, and a runny nose. I would go to the cosmetology school, though. I know its hit and miss, concerning if you'll get a good haircut or bad. But hair grows back. I'd take the risk.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Massages are supposed to be relaxing and I prefer to pay via a Groupon or similar voucher to get a cheaper one. I don't think free is always good for the sake of it, although I did talk my way into a free one at the Waldorf Astoria in New York (I tend to talk my way into free stuff quite often) when I complained about something justifiable. (They gave me a suite that was already occupied and it took three rooms before I found one I could settle in.)

Bad massages can actually damage you, so you should be careful with free ones if they pull a muscle or bruise you. Just warning you as it can happen!