How To Get Better Prices

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Jul 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can save a decent amount of money if you visit several stores comparing prices so you can buy whatever you need from the store where the items cost less. But what if you've been looking around all day and don't want to go back to a store across town to get the cheaper products?

You could always ask at the store whether they can match their competitor's prices. Most retailers can match or even beat their competitors prices to gain a loyal customer. Just ask, the worst they can do is say no after all.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always see TV programs encouraging people to always haggle, but I just can't do it! I think I'd be too embarrassed LOL I wish I had the confidence to do it, but I just don't :(

As far as comparing prices, I often look online before going out shopping. I wouldn't trek around the stores, too much hard work.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's the beauty of online shopping. Before I leave the house I go through the special each week and decide what to buy where as sometimes places like Lidl you can save a lot when they do a weekend special.

As stores are more competitive, many will price match automatically and if they don't you can ask at customer services. Some stores do allow it, such as John Lewis in the UK. They are never knowingly undersold as I used to work there and we had to match competitors prices on the spot and then lower the price. Some days I would reduce an item three times if people can in with proof they could find it cheaper.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think most department stores and supermarkets would allow that. Haggling is only acceptable in garage sales and thrift stores, lol. I notice that the smaller the store, the lower the price as compared to the same store in a bigger branch. I'm talking about the supermarket items though, and I assume the lease amount is lower, so there's less staff to pay.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd only attempt it if the store is one that says it will match the cheapest products and I know there are some that do but other ones might just get confused if I start poking at their set price. Although I agree that the worst that can really happen is that they say no so I do agree that it's at the very least worth a shot just to try out once at any store that might seem like a good prospect for that type of engagement.

6. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    You'd be surprised at what a supermarket might do for you! Generally they won't lower a price that much, but I've often saved 5 - 10 euro on my shopping list by asking stuff like this. Clothing stores are more willing to do it I've found. With supermarkets, it might work (but you'll often have to talk with the manager first, so it's a bit of a pain sometimes. Ah the joys of living frugal xD).

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Yosh@Yosh, So how do you haggle in a supermarket or in a department store? Maybe in western countries that's ok to do, but where I'm from they would probably see you as very tight-fisted and they would decline and tell you to just wait for their upcoming sale.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    There are some stores that will honour the prices of others if you can prove a lower price elsewhere, and there are other places that promise to beat prices. However, you have to be aware that you should research where you can do this, because otherwise the travel costs might add up to the extent that it is no longer worth it, which is clearly something that you should avoid whenever possible. But on the whole, you should always ask for a better deal if you have the chance of doing so, because you never know just how lucky you might get with it!