How to get Microsoft Word, Office, Publishers, Powerpoint, etc on a laptop that doesn't come preload

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 28, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone and I thank you all for your invaluable help,I do this now and not later on at the end of the message because I know that you will all help me out :-D OKay so here is my predicament, I recently bought an Acer Laptop, model: Aspire E 15, and the laptop does not come preloaded with Microsoft Word, Office,Powerpoint and all the other valuables that will enable you to open documents and type on your computer. So I ask, it would be really really nice if someone was able to tell me how I go about getting these important softwares on my system, once more! thank you all for your help!

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    You have to buy the programs to go on your computer. An individual license is not that expensive. You can't open Microsoft word/excell/etc files with any other type of program due to encoding.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my case, when we upgraded to Windows 7 there was no Microsoft Office, but I can still open Microsoft Word documents using Wordpad that was pre-loaded in the OS.

So what I did to acquire Microsoft Office was I downloaded Microsoft Office via torrents, but I still have not yet installed it after many months since I have no use for it yet.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can buy them online and often they will offer a free trial. If you are a student there are sites you can get the software at a discount. An alternative is to use google docs to open files in the meantime. You can open or download files using google for word at the very least.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend getting OpenOffice rather than paying for Microsoft office. It does everything that office does and is only marginal different. I've never had problems with it. Individual licences are still costly to some people so I wouldn't recommend bothering with one when there are free legal alternatives.

6. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    I do not want a free trial and I do not want to pay for it, many computers come with it so why is it that because mine doesn't, I should pay for it? I think that's unfair, secondly, is there anyway I can download it? I'm sure many others are suffering from this same problem so a good solution would be worth the long wait.

7. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    If you're a student with an .edu email address, check out Microsoft's offering of free Office365! Saved me a ton of money instead of having to pay for the whole suite, and you can install it on up to 5 computers, so share your code with family/friends.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of places on the internet to search for Windows Office programs, either for a price or for free. I can only provide you a search engine, that I used to find what I have personally found luck with, ahem: Filediva

Good luck.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well obviously you have to purchase them. You can go to the Microsoft online store and get your copy from there but if you wanted it more cheap you can try to find the older versions. But there are a lot of third part applications out there that you can use in place of MS Office applications and the best part if that they're free.

10. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Wow. Thanks so much for your help, guys. I've really been enlightened by your advice, and I'm gonna take it all into consideration. I hope that I'm able to use these search engines to actually locate possibly an older version of the software, which is free. It's hard enough to muster up the funds to actually purchase a new laptop, then to find that I'll have to pay for the software, which will expire after a certain period. I need "the old days", when it was more/or less sure that these essential pieces of software would've been built-in, so that you would be able to have direct access to them, without having to pay. Right now, it's proven to be quite a difficulty for me to think about looking for the requisite software, and paying for it, no matter how reasonable it may actually be, on a relative scale.
    Once again, thanks for the suggestions. Your advice is so valuable to me!

11. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend you check out Open Office. It's free and provides you with the same functionality as Microsoft Office for the most part. If you browse to ninite.com you'll be able to select a handful of tools from there just by checking the boxes and it will automatically install them without the hassle of the bloatware that often comes with those installers.

12. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    If you do not want to buy Mocrosoft Office then you can always download the Torrent file which is a cracked version that comes with the activation key for free. You will have to have a torrent program like VUZE in order to do this. I use this program myself when I download paid games for free or if I download movies.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are a student, you can also get pretty much every Microsoft product for free. Not every school is eligible though, and some school only give out keys per-year basis for some reason. Probably to ensure you aren't getting anything "extra". You may have to go and ask your school's computer lab or your equivalent, though.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think paying for this software is all that practical anymore especially since there are tons of other free alternatives. Open Office is a very good one, for example, as many of our members here have already mentioned, and if you don't like that then you could just check out Libre, or even Google docs which offers free software usage online and even allows you to edit it via browser and store it in their cloud drive which is very helpful since you could edit it from anywhere on any computer so you don't have to worry about leaving your files at home.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't recall any computers ever coming with the full version of Office in the first place. If anything, they came with it installed, but it was only a trial run which would eventually expire unless you purchased it in full. Now you can pay a monthly subscription, which is relatively inexpensive and much easier than coughing up the money up front. Plus it's more or less like getting an interest free loan since you aren't having to put it on your credit card and accumulate interest on it until you pay it off.

As others noted, if you are student you can get it free. As long as your instructors are using Office, they can provide you with a license to use it at home. The same goes for your employers, if they have a certain number of employees and a volume license, you may be able to get a free license for use at home as well.