How to get my cat to get along with my dogs

Discussion in Pets started by amynichole318 • Mar 7, 2014.

1. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Last October we were browsing at PetSmart and the kids always love to go see the cats. My middle son was having a hard time bonding with the dogs and really wanted his own pet. Well he saw "Hulk" in a cage and instantly loved him. He was huge and black, and had a sign that said "Free". I talked to an employee and they told me that all they new about him was that he was picked up as a stray and had been in the cage for several months. He was free because if he wasn't going to be adopted by Sunday night, he would be going back to the pet store and he would be put down. Well, we just couldn't bare that and so we decided to take a chance on him.

Since October, he has lived almost his entire life under my bed. He only comes out to eat, use the litter box and he goes back under the bed. He does go wandering around The House at night and once in a while when the kids are at school. He seems to absolutely hate the loud noises the kids make when they are home. He was fine under the bed for a while and then he started attacking feet. In a way I thought that was a good thing, maybe he finally wants some love and attention from us and he is trying to play. Well, unfortunately, he is very strong and large and when he swipes at our feet, it is incredibly painful, especially for the little kids. So, my kids started calling him "the monster that lives under the bed". Well, after one foot attack causing:confused: my daughter to bleed, I squirted him with water and he hasn't attacked any feet since.

Lately though, when he comes out to eat, he has been attacking my dogs. The dogs are both smaller than he is, one is a Shih Tzu and the other a Chi-Weenie. Both dogs are now terrified of him and run and hide when ever he comes into the same room with them. My husband has had it and wants to get rid of him. I don't believe in giving up on a animal. This cat is really great with me, when the house is quiet, he will come into the living room and lay down on my lap and I have even heard him purr a time or two. I believe this cat is a good cat but probably been traumatized sometime early in his life. I just don't know what to do for him.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me get him from living under the bed and show him he has a safe home and we will love him. And, also to get him to stop attacking and terrorizing my dogs. I have tried everything I can think of and he still lives under the bed.

2. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    That is not going to happen. It goes against the rules of nature. That is like asking how to get your cat to get along with your mouse. It's not going too happen.

3. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    I cannot agree with Eagle910. My family has had several dogs and cats. At first, yes, they haven't exactly seen eye to eye, but it has always changed to the point where the cats have actually slept on the dog's back. It's definitely not against the nature for two pets of the same family to get along. I think that amynichole318's cat is simply been mistreated in the past, so it has trust issues. I'm sure it will get better in time, though. It wouldn't hurt to consult with a professional pet trainer, though.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to friendship between a cat and a dog, it usually depends on the cat's decision. Some kittens and puppies who grew up together turn out as friends during their adult life. In the case of your cat, you might be faced with a bigger challenge since you adopted an adult cat with a past that you may have not known. These add to the factors that make him act the way he does. Your dogs will learn to just avoid him as long as he lives with you. They can be tolerant of each other. But to expect them, particularly, to be good friends may be a dream at this point.

5. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't give up that easily either. This is a cat that has more than likely suffered abuse of some form or another at some point and he just needs a great deal of love and affection. I would continue to work with him and since he sees you as the rescuer then that's definitely progress on his part. I would try coaxing the cat out to sit on your lap here and there and then have different family members continue to try and pet him while he’s on your lap until he feels comfortable with everyone in the family. You could also try a laser light and a toy with some type of string for him to chase after. A friend of mine had a cat like this and eventually I did get the cat to become much more sociable, but it definitely takes time and patience. I admire your patience and completely understand why you want to continue working with him. :)

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    The truth is you do not really have a history of what that cat has been through. It may have had behavioural issues before you even picked it up. Perhaps, bad experiences with dogs before. It's asking a lot for a cat that may have been abused to trust anything. Cats feel like they have to own everything in the world. It might help with socializing if you get a cat tree or ledges so the cat can explore a safe distance from dogs/noisy kids.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is so untrue. I'm not sure if in this case in particular your cat will ever get along with the dogs just because this cat has probably had a rough life and has gotten semi-feral and scared. It would be pretty hard to get him to get along with the dogs. That being said, it is perfectly possible, even normal for cats and dogs to get along! I know SEVERAL cases where a cat and a dog sleep together, play around together, live together and love each other to death. So it is very much possible. Someone who says it's not says that because they don't have experience with animals.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you know about the rule of exposure? When someone is afraid of something you expose him to it more and more until he loses the fear. It works most of the time.

Most animals will distrust each other when they are first introduced with each other. I've seen the same behavior in cows. Any new-comer is not welcome in the herd. But eventually it gets to fit in.

So probably what you need to do is not rush anything. If you need a cage to prevent the cat from attacking the small dogs, get one. Have him stay with the dogs in one room for some time. Eventually he'll learn that they can co-exist together without conflict/fights, etc.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that when a cat and dog grow up together as puppies and kittens, then they will get along for sure because they were familiar with each other ever since they were little. But if they did not then they won't really get along, but they will be tolerant of each other the longer they are exposed to each other. I guess you can try to put your cat in a cage and put her in the same room with the dog. That will get her used to seeing them and getting used to their presence, for starters.