How to potty train a one year old child?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by dhintaka • Aug 25, 2012.

1. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I need help in potty training a one-year-old child. Please suggest how I should start this whole process. I hope I am not rushing into this so also, please do share. When did you start training your child?

2. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    That may be a little young, but there isn't a set age. My son has just turned 18 months and we have just now started to think about training him. I've read several articles like this one:

from WebMD that they usually cannot control their bladder until 18 months. The articles also suggest for them to have some social and emotional signs of being ready, like communicating more and being able to follow instructions better. I know diapers are a pain and I will be happy to have my son trained, but I personally didn't think he would be ready at an earlier age. Now he's showing signs he can start very soon.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried to start my daughter when she was one but she just didn't understand so i stopped she is now 2 and half and i am trying to start again hoping that it is easier this time especially now that she is able to tell me when she pees and poops.

4. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    I think if they are truly ready you don't really need a plan of action. My second was completely potty trained at 17 months old and I didn't do a thing. She started refusing to go in her diaper and going into the bathroom and asking for help to get her diaper off. I think just letting them see you go, having a little potty available for them and talking about it a lot is really the best preparation you can do.

5. dvharris

dvharrisMember

Threads:
    Are you sure he is ready? I've heard of different styles of potty training and some can be a little crazy like the Mayim Bialik idea, which Im a total fan of( fan of Mayim not the potty training idea).

If you're gonna go the conventional way, make sure your baby is ready for potty training. A toilet can be a pretty scary thing for a baby. Make sure to start of with letting him get used to the toilet by leaving the door open especially when you use it. Modeling is a starting point for toilet training a child. Again, you have to make sure he is ready or you will simply find this process to be frustrating and very difficult for your child. There isn't a perfect age for a child to learn. Most children will learn from 2-5 yrs. old.