How to pull together a dressy/formal look without breaking the wallet!

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by AutumnFaith2012 • Sep 8, 2012.

1. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    OK, I just read an old thread titled "Dressing Up" where the blogger asked if people like to dress up or dread it. I love the opportunity to dress up and go out, but I also dread it because I'm so unsure on how to pull that "dressy" look together. Do you have any tips for pulling together a formal/dressy look without breaking the purse or wallet? I'm talking dresses, suits, shoes, make up, hair, the works. How do you pull it together without pulling your hair out??

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Find yourself a cheap lbd. The thing about an lbd is that if you get the right one, it doesn't matter how cheap or expensive it was. It will look good on you. Get a classic pair of pumps from payless or some other discount shoe store. All pumps look the same, so it doesn't matter how much you spend on it. For me, that's it. Once I have on my heels and my lbd, I'm dressed. I never wear makeup, and my hair is too short to fuss about styling it. (Seriously, it's boy length.)

3. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree. Just use an nice black dress and you can dress up that outfit with accessories. You don't have to break the bank to look good. That's my motto. It doesn't have to be name brand just as long as the fit is right and you can accessorize the look. A simply black dress with a nice necklace and studs or dressy earrings with some fabulous shoes is a great look for any occasion.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Even the accessories don't have to be super expensive. You can get away with costume jewelry if it looks either classy or artsy.

5. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    If you really are strapped for cash, look at thrift stores and you never know what you will find. I have found some cool accessories there and actually bought my lbd from one for only a couple of dollars. The thrift store is your friend when you need to dress up cause you can be creative and not break the bank.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    It's easy to get dressed up if that's what you like to do all the time. Always keep on hand a nice black dress and a nice navy dress or suit. You can pull that together very quickly and be in style with whatever is going on. Put a few pieces of jewelry on and it won't matter the color when you are wearing black or navy because those colors can match anything. Your hair can be short and look very nice or if it's long, just put it in a bun with a nice pen or flower and you will look very nice. Throw your pumps on and you are all set.

7. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    Well for every designer look, you can find a cheaper version. It just requires a bit of looking around. All because a garment may cost less, doesn't mean it would look cheap or bad. The only thing I would invest more money into are the shoes. I would splurge on the footwear and go for real leather for instance, but even designer shoes can be found on sale. The internet has great deals for instance.

8. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    If something fits well and has a focus (a striking colour, a texture, a design feature) it can be dressed up easily.

Flashier earings (think gold, longer or hoops) will dress up an outfit. A pair of colourful (gold or red or blue) heels will help even your dark jeans with the right top become dressy.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Always go for the classic look, it is always in style. Go to the Goodwill store find a good suit or dress, or skirt and blouse with a jacket will work also. Shoes and bag. Get acessories to max out the look.

I have a boy hair cut, when I want to look really good I get larger earrings to get the wow look.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I hear you. I don't wear earrings because my holes are shut, but I do the same thing with a statement pendant and perhaps some bangles for my wrists.

11. dewilsimmy

dewilsimmyNew Member

Threads:
    Fashion plays vital role in every person's life. I like to wear latest design and new style. I crazy about wear new cloth. There are many online store available that provides amazing and beautiful collection of dress.

12. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    I usually look at the expensive designer sites to get ideas on great dressy looks before I hit the budget stores so I have a rough general idea of what I want. It works great for me. Thrift stores are a great source of lightly used branded shirts for men. I often look online for sales on great clothes too. I have managed to get a great dress online that usually retailed for $300 for less than$70. It's a great dress that works for office wear and also clubbing with the right accessories. I usually get my accessories from Forever 21. They're cheap and beautiful. Ross and Marshall are two other great places to look for clothes. Makeup is usually Maybelline or Loreal for me and it does its work perfectly well. Sometimes, when there is a good sale at Nordstorm, I do like to get Stila makeup since its free shipping regardless of how much you spend there.

13. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I once saw my sister dress up a common maxi dress with a very classy looking blazer and made it work for her high powered office job. I don't know how expensive the blazer was, but the dress couldn't have been more than fifteen dollars.

14. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    If you are interested in purchasing at cost effective prices, you should consider purchasing online because the web hold numerous quality brands. The web is a platform that has unending deals and offers that are very very cost effective. However you should try out many sale that are put up on different occasion. Try out

and let me know how was your experience. :)

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Daniel.d, it seems as though most of your site is for men and there style. I was looking for ladies items also, I see that there are some but not enough on your site, so what about that, do you have more items? Great for the men though, I enjoyed looking through it. As I was saying the color black and the color navy goes with anything and can take you places and you would be surprised at how nice you look. Those two colors will go formal any day of the week.

#15Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013