How To Remain Safe While Shopping Online?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by luckycharm • Nov 12, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    In the current scenario I think this is a very confusing question as no shopping site is free from cyber attacks. Anything that can be accessed can be hacked too. There is huge number of cloned or phishing site sites waiting out there for a prey. But what are the steps we should take to enhance our security level :
    • It is always better to be with market leaders and well known shopping sites. Sites like Amazon and eBay spend a lot of money towards security as they are more concerned about their brand image.
    • Never click on any shopping links from unknown sources even if it offers incredible offers or discounts.
    • Be informed of phishing sites and always check the spelling of site address. Even if it is from your favorite list which is stored in the browser it could get compromised.
    • Look for “https” and a padlock sign before initiating any financial transaction. A site starting with "http" is not secure enough.
    • Do not use auto filling and password reminder options in your browser at least for financial transactions.
    • Check for mode of payment. Phishing sites usually ask you to send money through wire transfer or money order to avoid the possibility of tracking them.
    The list is not exhaustive but can go a long way in ensuring online shopping security to a great extent I think. Cyber criminals are always in search of new ways to trap people and the only thing we can do is to stay alert.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    If you stick to the basics, you cannot fall prey easily to online fraudsters. A good place to start is to have a long regularly changing password and or conceal your email identity. This can be done using Email Cover or using an icon to conceal its identity. Needless to say, only submit your credit card information after thorough background checks of whoever you are dealing with.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Good pieces of information. I am not into the habit of changing passwords as I keep forgetting new ones.

However, I am careful about using my personal credentials that might cost me my bank balance!

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I also find it difficult to remember all the passwords as I use entirely different passwords for different sites. Most of my passwords are a combination of numbers, alphabets and special characters which are not easy to remember. So while creating an account I make it a point to note down in a diary (hard copy) so that in case of doubts I can refer it.

I have seen people using browsers to remember passwords but that is not a good tendency as anybody can steal is easily. Keeping the records in soft copy like Word or Excel forms can also be hacked. So it is always better to note it in a diary and keep the diary in a safe place.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It will well said and presented. These are the basic things to be aware of when shopping online. You have missed the proximate things to do when planning to do some shopping online is by recommendation from a friends, from those who already experienced. At least they know what is best and they know what is not.

6. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Avoid fishy-looking locales. You can't generally tell when a site isn't authentic, however warnings incorporate poor outline, a bizarre or outlandish web address, and different appear windows that you can't close. In the event that you see any of these suspicious signs, quit shopping and close your program windows.

Abstain from tapping on hyperlinks installed in messages. The Better Business Department cautions that authentic organizations don't send messages requesting follow-up money related data. On the off chance that an email, even one that cases to be from a commonplace retailer, requests that you visit an outside site, don't do it—it could divert you to a trick site. Rather than tapping on a hyperlink, sort in the web deliver that you need to visit into your program.

Shop on secure sites just—including on smartphones.Never, ever give your Government managed savings number to anybody on the web. On the off chance that a site requests it amid the checkout procedure, it's presumably a trick site, says Levin.

Exploit the programmed data fraud insurance that accompanies many Mastercards. That is one motivation to utilize your Mastercard rather than plastic or money for Christmas shopping. In the event that you see incorrect charges on your announcement, call your Mastercard organization, which ought to examine for your benefit.