How to respond to a Manager being rude to the employee?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lady350 • Aug 13, 2014.

1. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I was getting some meat from the deli and a manager is standing about 15 feet away calling either of the two employees in that area. He is saying "Aye" instead of their names. I thought it was embarrassing and rude to the employees for their boss to call them like that, bad customer service to do it in front of me, and poor management skills. He should have went over to the employees and said, "I'm sorry, I forgot your name..." The employees said that is how the managers are. WOW!!!

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that would have bothered me to . I am a firm believer that your employees are just as good as you train them. So if the manager is rude and give rude service so will the employee do the same to an customer. The Employer in this case is so wrong and I dont think that I would work for such an employer. And now the employee feels like it the right thing and it normal.

3. atlman

atlmanNew Member

Threads:
    People are so soft nowadays. I could see if a manager physically attacked an employee or threatened to harm them, but if a manager is a little rough around the edges then so what. Everyone today wants to be treated like a prince or princess and even worse, be treated equally with the boss. This is not reality. Reality is, if you think your manager is THAT abusive, then find another job. It's as simple as that.

4. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I see incidents like that quite often, I just ignore it as it is not my place to say anything. It does bother me though, I am sure most of us have had jobs where we have seen this kind of 'management style' first hand. I feel for the employees, but the company is at fault, they need to give out proper training and address this kind of thing. Standards seem to be worse now then ever before in my opinion.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I would just be a dick to the manager. Give him a taste of his own poison, by torturing him.
    I hate seeing stuff like this, and I'll easily step in. I can't remember this specific situation happening, but I have been a dick for the sake of justice before.
    Anyway, that manager probably has a small penis, and a horrible life, so he makes the most of the only place where people are forced to respect him...

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You never can make fair judgment without knowing why a manager acts in an offensive way. I've seen that numerous times where the manager not only shouts at the employees but also calls them names "nitwits". The employees there retaliate by stealing from the store so at the end of the day it's a win-win situation for all parties.

I never step in to demand that the manager should show a little respect. If the employees can't stand up for themselves that's their problem. If the abuse continues for a long time well I'd say they're inured to it. Why change it?

7. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that that's the best way to handle rude managers. If you are rude to him in return, then he will only get angry and take it out on the employee when you are gone, and it would only further escalate the behaviour that you are trying to protest for the sake of "justice".

If it really is bad, then the best thing to do would be to send in a formal complaint up the chain of command. If it's the owner of the store that is being rude, then simply take your business elsewhere or complain on their website, Facebook page, etc. And if you'd rather not do either of those because it doesn't seem that much of a big deal, then sympathize with the employee. That might at least make them feel better, if nothing else.

8. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I know, but sometimes I can't help it. I also think that sometimes, it might help some people become self aware of their behaviour, no?
    Either way, you know that if you do this in front of the employee who was abused in the first place, you just totally made someone's day...
    As far as formal complainting, we all know how that can be a waste of time...
    It's still good that calm people like you exist :)

9. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I have no problem saying something to a manager if I think that they are out of line. I think the best way to get to them is to threaten to not shop at their establishment anymore. Or if you threaten to call someone who is in a higher position than they are. Of course, a manager would have to be going really overboard for me to do something like this. You have to understand that everyone has bad days.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If they are just managers, I would ask to speak with the owner of the store, or at least ask for the owners contact information so you can send him a formal complaint. The manager may have been trying to put on a "show" in front of the customers by bossing the employees around like that, but in the end just made themselves look like a big asshole. At the very least, if you send a complaint letter to the owner of the store, and perhaps the employees themselves start voicing their concerns to the owner as well, they will have someone else's third party account as a backup to their claims.

You could also make it a point to vocally thank the workers and tell them they always provide you great service when you go there, then give the manager a dirty look... lol.

11. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    It's a tough call on what to do. When you have that type of manager usually they are immature and ignorant and saying anything to them like they might have been in the wrong just makes them go off even worse. I have dealt with more than a few of those types of people in my time. I've even worked under several of them. it's no fun from either side of the fence.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I was to see a situation like that unfolding in front of me , I would interrupt the manager by asking the employees "Are you okay?" Asking that simple question makes jerks feel unsettled because it lets them know that you are on the employees' side. Then I would say to the employees "Don't worry, I've had horrible bosses too. Some people just like to abuse their power. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Hang in there." and I would walk away.

It's my passive aggressive way of insulting the manager in front of his face. I'm a shy person sometimes, so I prefer passive aggressive sneak attacks to noisy confrontations.

13. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I don't know. I want to hear the managers side too. I know how it's like to be a boss and it really comes to a point where you run out of patience to your subordinates. About him calling them "Aye" instead of their names, I think I can let it pass. It's a tolerable rudeness for me and I'm not really in the position to get involved in such a situation. Maybe if instead of calling them "Aye" he called them "Stupid", I might think I've been given the right and the blessing from the above to intervene. I'll make sure that the manager can see me staring at him and I'll shake my head as if I'm not happy to what he did. Before he reacts, I'll walk away with disgust.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I really don't know if I'd say anything. If it were an ongoing issue, then maybe I would, but if I just happened to see it once, then I probably wouldn't. The staff members can report it if it's really that bad, so it may not be my place to do it as an outside viewer.