How to save on desktop computers

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by techbeast34 • Nov 29, 2012.

1. techbeast34

techbeast34Member

Threads:
    One of the best ways to save on desktop computers is to build your own. Go to a website like pcpartpicker.com and choose out your parts. The website will automatically tell you if there may be incompatibilities, along with the estimated power output and total cost. The website also lists any mail in rebates that might be available. One of the good things about building your own computer is:
    Takes ~2 hours
    You only need a Philips head screw driver
    It's cheaper than buying a pre-made computer
    It's a great learning experience.

You can get more performance for less money. An example of this is: I made my own computer (

) and then shortly after building it, I decided to see how much a regular, pre-built computer cost for the same type of configuration. Funny enough, I found a computer for the same configuration for about $1499, while mine was about $800. That is over ~$700 dollars in savings!

An alternative way: If you are uncomfortable with building your own computer due to the chance of messing up, then what you could do is look on eBay, craigslist, or any other auction/trade website and look for a old desktop, or a broken desktop. Most broken desktops will sell for $20-$300. Most of them will probably need just one part to be replaced, and the owner is either too lazy to replace the part, or just needs a new computer. Just one part replacement will bring the desktop back to life, or sometimes, just a setting change will allow a computer to boot up.

2. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Wow. I guess it is an idea for some. But for many of us, me included the idea of buying components and building it myself,well, too scary. Of course if it does not work, there ain't going to be a warranty or exchange.
    I know there are refurbished and used outlets. To me used is a much better bet. I have had several computers, all desktops and all macs and all but one have been used.
    I saved money and the used ones all served me well.
    If a person feels that he or she is capable of building one, all I have to say is more power to you. I agree it would be a learning experience, probably great for a computer tech person.
    Ryder13

#2Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. techbeast34

techbeast34Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it is scary to build a computer for those who don't know that much about technology, but there are tons and tons of guides online on how to build your own computer. Some are videos too, so you can see step-by-step on how to build a computer.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Funny, I have been thinking about building a computer. At one time there were plenty of computer shows in my area. Now, they are rare and happen 40 miles from the city. Computer shows were great places to pick up computer parts at great prices. Even though I don't have a problem with buying online, I would much prefer to deal with local vendors.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if I would attempt to build one from scratch but I do like your idea of finding a used one for sale that may just need a new power supply or more memory. The little repairs I can do myself and have done many over the years. I don't know why I never thought of doing it as a way to get a cheap computer for myself before. Thanks for the great idea!

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    This is what I did on my 2nd and third PC. After I got my first PC, I got into too many forums and eventually I got excited to build my own PC and that's what I did. Fortunately all my build have been very good and still working!

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to learn how to build my own pc, but I still haven't gotten around to learning how to do it. My cousin knows how to build pc's from scratch, so I'll ask him for tips on how to do it. That site will definitely come in handy when I finally get to learn how to build pc's in the future. Thanks.