How To Stop The Pop Ups

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Pat • Jan 19, 2015.

1. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Hmm, that sounds odd. Does the new tab lead to any website, or does it look like the normal "New Tab"? If it's the latter, try re-installing Chrome. The browser may be affected by some changes by a now gone virus.

If that doesn't help, I'm thinking this may be a Trojan Horse, spyware, or a deeply-burrowed virus of some sort, which is why Malwarebytes isn't finding it. I suggest using Spybot Search and Destroy, or another security suite, just to ensure that Chrome and Malwarebytes were not tampered with.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Firstly, thank you for responding :) It is very odd. I have been in the business of computing for well over ten years now. I've gone through all of the accidental viruses and malware, and adware, and ransomwear, and home page hijacks - all of that. But this doesn't seem to fit into any of those categories. I will click a link - any link, and in sporadic portions, a new tab will sometimes open, and the new tab that opens is usually some type of advertising website. William Hill - that betting website - seems to be the new tab a lot of the time too.

Thanks for the advice. I am certainly going to give it a whirl and see what happens.

3. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently only just discovered that I didn't really need to uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome every time the pop-up blocker seemed to not be working properly. I used to uninstall immediately Google Chrome and then reinstall it or try to update it excessively over the period.

Now, you might need to uninstall and then reinstall, but not every single time.

Check on the Settings tab and then click on the Show Advanced Setting, and then choose the Reset Settings. It will return the computer to the original setting, before installing plug-ins and ad blockers. Then check the add-ons one by one to see if any one of them is experiencing issues. It may just be that the browser's setting is not quite right.

650x500xchrome-flags.

Or, it could be one of those hidden advanced experimental settings. If that is the case, then you might need to do more searches.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a hard time tweaking my Internet Explorer on the pop-up blocker funtion. But it seems that it doesn't really work because I was still getting pop-up ads. When I got fed up, I installed Mozilla Firefox and that's what I am using now. Goodbye, IE.