How To Tell Your Boyfriend You Want To Get Flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by isabbbela • Apr 8, 2015.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been dating for a while now, and even though my boyfriend is cute and so romantic, he never gave me flowers! And even though I rarely receive flowers from anyone, I actually love getting them! I think it is so sweet.
    So my question is, how could I indirectly tell my boyfriend to start sending me flowers without obviously asking him?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Mmm - if you like flowers so much then maybe you should buy them for yourself! If anything it will give your boyfriend an idea that you like them anyway. And even if he doesn't buy you any at least you'll have some. After all, it is all about the flowers...

3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I am not the type of girl who likes getting flowers. They die and to me that is a waste of money, but if you like getting them you can tell him without TELLING him. I am a huge hint dropper, but men sometimes don't pick up on that. I would look for a picture of a friend on Facebook or Instagram getting flowers. I would show it to my boyfriend and say something like "Wow look how pretty her flowers are. That was so sweet of her boyfriend to get them for her", or if we are watching a movie where someone is getting flowers say "What a lucky girl, flowers are such a nice gift", There are tons of ways to drop a hint.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, you should just buy them for yourself. He's obviously showing his love in his own ways and it won't always match up with what you expect. And it shouldn't have to, otherwise, it's not authentic for either of you. Do you buy him gifts often? Treat him the way you want to be treated?

5. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Look. A lot of men are clueless. I don't mean to be mean but it's a god honest truth. I mean, I've seen women drop subtle hints, hard hints...once I had a boyfriend I threw GRENADES at and nothing. OMG. I guess you don't really want to say "Hey, quick question...you're romantic and all but how come you've never thought of getting me flowers? Do you think I don't like them or are you allergic and can't buy them or what?" SO, buying them for yourself if the best way to handle this. Then make a semi-scene of how beautiful they are you had to buy them and how they make the room pretty and how smelling them makes you smile. I'll cross my fingers for you. ;)

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I've learned to not hint or beat around the bush with my husband. If I want something in particular, I'll just ask for it (or get it for myself). He seems to like the direct approach much more than trying to figure out what clues I'm laying down for him. If you'd like him to buy you flowers, just say, "You know, I would like to get flowers every now and then" and maybe ask him if there's something he'd like you to do more often too.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on your personality. You could buy some and then gush how beautiful they are and go over the top and he may get the hint, or you could say, "You never get me flowers, do you?"

Personally it's not something I would encounter as I hate flowers and when I am given them, I give them away. They are a pain, messy and a waste of money. I would rather have a box of chocolates.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can drop hints and hope he'll get the message or you can tell him directly that you'd prefer to get flowers and he'll get the message loud and clear. I'd recommend the latter. There's no need to beat around the bush. Tell him, if he doesn't like it, get yourself your own flowers.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the others here are right. If you want flowers you should probably buy them for yourself. I know that sort of throws the romance out the window, but at least you'll have your flowers. I've always loved cut flowers, too. Not necessarily very expensive ones. A bouquet of daisies is pretty, too.

Let me think, though. OK. That didn't take long. Three. Three times in my life I have received flowers. Once from my first husband before he was my husband. Then his father gave me a dozen roses when we got married. My second husband also gave me roses when we got married.

I was married to my first husband for nearly ten years and have been with my second for twenty-one.
    It's a safe bet that I don't inspire flower buying in men. At least not cut flowers. Both my first and present husbands have bought me plenty of flowers for the yard. Practical as they are, men seem not to see the sense in buying cut flowers.

What gets me about my present husband is when someone we know is sick or we are going to dinner at someone's house he tells me to be sure and get flowers for them.

Go figure.

Not that I'd want to be sick, but I've cooked many a fine dinner in twenty-one years and flowers would look good on my table, too.

On the other hand, I have everything else I've ever wanted. I'd take that over flowers any day.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a bit old-fashioned, and I still do prefer being written love letters, being serenaded, and of course, getting flowers. I think whenever you're with your boyfriend, you should comment about how beautiful your surroundings are, how pretty the flowers are, and how badly you want to keep one bouquet for yourself. I think he'll be able to get the message. ;)

11. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    One way is to ask him directly, you can put it in a way that he won't get offended by making a joke out of it, or something like that.

Or buy them yourself and if he asks where they're from tell him you had to buy them yourself because he never does. Try and keep it light hearted though and I'm sure he'll get the message.

Most people don't like being told what to do though so I wouldn't go demanding or anything like that.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OK, some of you gave me great ideas! And I think the best idea for the moment would be to buy myself flowers on the day he is coming over and when he arrives I tell him "Do you like my new flowers? I was feeling like brightening up my place and decided to get them for myself. I love flowers"
    So yeah, I will let you know how that goes!

13. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Here's an idea, on top of the hints and the telling him directly and getting them for yourself -- buy flowers for someone. A good friend, a family member -- or his mother! Just go and get them with him and tell him that you think flowers are a lovely gift and that they just cheer people up, and point at a few that you like and ask him what he thinks. It could be that he does not give you flowers because he thinks it's not cool to cut them just to have them die in a vase so soon after (and at a high price, too!), so this way you let him know that you like flowers and that you think they are a great gift, and you give him a chance for him to voice any opinion he might also have on the subject.

Also, you probably end up making someone else very touched and happy to be getting flowers from you. It's a win-win-win solution.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just wait. This is a silly piece of advice but did you enter that relationship just so you can get flowers? Of course not, right? I want to get flowers too. I really do. Still, I'm willing to wait for someone to give them to me. We have orchids in the garden and there are flower farms nearby, so I'm content with the flowers I can see and touch in my immediate surroundings. In the course of your relationship, you'll eventually receive them. You can imply to him that you like flowers should he ask, but it's a different story if you beg him to buy you a bunch.

15. yamazakura

yamazakuraNew Member

Threads:
    I always wanted flowers from my boyfriend (now husband). He can be a bit...frugal, so sometimes he would get me two flowers or three but never a whole bunch. I told him that I loved getting flowers, but I would prefer to receive a single or a whole bunch. He's from another country, so I explained that it isn't really common in America to get someone two flowers and usually people go for a single stem or a bunch. He wasn't offended at all because I explained nicely and now I'm enjoying the beautiful bunches of flowers that he brings me.

I also don't know what he wants for presents. He likes computers and tech stuff and I'm not into it, so if he wanted something I would want him to tell me. I think in relationships telling the other person what you would like in a caring way will always work a thousand times better than waiting and hoping they figure it out.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of just telling things outright. When I am in a relationship the thing I fear the most is that I don't meet some expectations that weren't spoken out loud. He doesn't see into your mind, and I bet he wants to keep you happy. Being silent about it won't help anyone.

17. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I have the perfect scenario: You buy flowers for yourself. You set them up in a place he will have to see them every day. You make it a point to buy the cheapest flowers for yourself & you gush about them. Over & over again. You say how nice it was to receive this at your: (Fill in blank here)

He'll get the picture.