How to workout at the gym for free

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by dieselfit • Nov 18, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Gym memberships can be expensive, they are never really cheap. There are a few ways to get free workouts and even free memberships sometimes.

First thing you should do is ask for a free trial. Most gyms will give you a week or two for free, one month if you're lucky. I haven't been in a gym where a trial wasn't offered. But the thing is with this they might call you after the trial expires and ask why you didn't come back lol. You can try this at multiple gyms.

Second is jobs. If you can get ANY sort of job at a gym, you'll most likely be given free workouts. Jobs can range from cleaning up, organizing weights, or even personal training if you can get the certificate.

Third would be finding people who are selling their gym memberships. Many people sign up for a year or two at a gym then realize they need to cancel it but can't because it's a contract. You'll find these memberships for half the price. It's not really free but it's better than paying full price!

Get healthy!

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's an over-saturated industry too, so you'll find a lot of trainers giving away free sessions to try to lure you in as well. TONS of memberships being sold by people who gave it a shot and can't stick it out for some reason. Says a lot about the industry too in my opinion lol. If you can't afford a gym, get out and live.. it's far healthier ;)

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    In my city there are free public gyms in most parks around the city, so I don't really have to worry about paying a gym.

However those public gyms have all what you need to work out except an instructor, so it's about making yourself your own fitness program.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are cool free alternatives, thanks for the tips! However there are some gyms that are pretty cheap on their memberships, like Bally Fitness. The annual membership is so cheap, and I enjoyed it when I was a member. It's worth it I think!

5. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Good ideas, I'll definitely try to use them.
    Although the gyms around here are pretty cheap so maybe I don't even need to do that.

6. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    If the gym membership is cheap, then ignore what I told you! It's always nice to save some bucks here and there. I think the equipment is way too overrated at the gyms. I mean if you're trying to get fit, healthier, stronger and better, then all you need is 50$ on a set of dumbbells that will be challenging enough for at least a few months. If you're already fit, I would spend another 20 to 40 bucks on more weights. Having 2 dumbbells will create a amazing workout that will get you results! Also the park gyms sound nice, are these play grounds without weights ?

7. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that you could get the free trials at various gyms, but i do not like the idea of moving from gym to gym on a daily basis. I say just find a place that is comfortable and convenient for you and if you can afford it, then go for it.

8. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Great tip Benarysmile. You should make a post about that. I disagree about the 150 minutes. There's no set time to fitness. One could do 5 minute workouts a few times a week and still notice health benefits. There was a study done with Olympic athletes and they were doing 4 minute workouts that increased everything from muscle mass to their heart health.

9. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who works at the YMCA with the after school program and he has access to all of the exercise equipment, exercise classes, pools, etc. for free. He can also bring a friend in for only $5. So finding a way to work at a gym or somewhere that has a gym is definitely a great idea.