How would you know when your dog has a fever?

Discussion in Pets started by akiii123 • Sep 28, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is very common for a dog to catch flu and fever as any other animal or human beings. But the real question is how do you understand whether the dog has a fever. Last week, my dog did not wake up the entire morning and when I took it to doctors, I came to know that it has a fever. After giving the required medicines, it became alright again. So what are the symptoms that your dog shows on the feverish day?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I know my dog feels sick when he is lethargic. His nose will also be dry and he won't be excited to eat. The only real way to know if he has a fever is to check his temperature with a thermometer in his behind :/ he might not enjoy it but it only takes a few seconds. It's important to get medical attention for your pets if they run a fever for more than a day.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never had a dog that had fever, but you might want to read this article so that you can be enlightened:

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm... it is best to go to the vet if you think that your dog is running a fever. However, if you don't have the time, you can notice when the dog doesn't have appetite. His nose will also feel dry. When I go to the vet, they use a rectal thermometer to check the temperature.

5. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I used to work in a vet's office as a receptionist/assistant. I could usually feel whether an animal had a high fever. They will feel hot when held. Don't go by how the ears feel, though. Especially with dogs, since they release excess heat that way or may have ear mites or some other irritation that causes the ear area to feel hot. Usually pet owners noticed that an animal was unwell by other symptoms than the fever, though- changes in appetite, activity, or elimination.