how you decorate your house?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by himalipatel • Aug 8, 2013.

1. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    i bought a new house and next month i am going to shift in the new house with my family. Before that i have to finish all the work of my new house like furniture and etc. so any one have an idea to decorate and furnished it. Any suggestion appreciable.

#1Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For various reasons, people in the US put their unwanted furniture on the curb with the trash.
    I've found a few good pieces that I'm painting to take with me when I find an apartment.

The cheapest way to make a bunch of random furniture from the curb and family hand me downs look like they belong together is to paint everything the same color. If you have a nightstand and dresser and you paint them both white, it looks like a bedroom set. I never really thought about it, but almost everything in my living room ,as far as furniture, was free.

You can also find some good items in thrift stores if you're selective and have a good eye.
    A fresh coat of paint and some Mod Podge can hide a multitude of flaws.

3. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I have a specific way that I like to go about things and decorating is definitely one of those things. I usually would buy furniture pieces from ikea or perhaps thrift stores as well.
    After that I invest in a few statement pieces such as a big beautiful bowl or a vase and then I decorate with books and magazines and a tray on a coffee table. Little objects like this go a long way in him decorating such as colorful pillows will add that pop of color to a solid couch.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    A great way to make a house feel more like a home is to include personal items as décor items. For example, family photos in a grouping either on a wall or a mantle will make it seem more like your home. If you have kids, you can also use items made by them. I used some vases that were made by mine combine with a couple of store bought ones and then added some fake flowers that were similar in color to make a nice vase grouping on a shelf.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also find that it makes it easier to make a room look pulled together if you have a certain color scheme in mind. If you like red, cream and black and you keep an eye out while shopping for those colors, then everything you buy will look like it belongs together. When my daughter and I buy accessories like pillows, we definitely think about the colors that we already have.
    Yes, my daughter is 15 and likes to buy apartment stuff with me.

6. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    Before buying furniture or decors, decide first what kind of looks do you want. Is it modern, classic or anything, then you can base what you need to buy. Another thing you need to consider is the personality of the person living in the house. For instance your kids, what color is their favorite, particular games or anything. You can also get an idea what to put in their rooms. It is not important if the furniture and decors are expensive, as long as you think it will look good to your new home then that is all that matters.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as colors go, I saw that a decorator on HGTV said that 60/30/10 is a good rule. 60 percent of the dominant color should be your walls or big pieces of upholstered furniture. 30 percent should be the secondary color in comforters and carpeting and chairs, and then 10 percent should be an accent color in pillows and accessories.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Simple and ergonomic. You know those houses filled with stuff that only serves to take up space? No stuff like that!
    I want to be able to clean it with a single run, no needing to dodge a bunch of stuff.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love eclectic and quirky, but also modern to a point...I have entire pinterest boards devoted to the subject, lol! We're in a lovely but somewhat small apartment and so functional items/storage & decoration together with other functions are a big sell for me. I love using pictures and personal touches to decor. Choose at least a loose colour scheme that makes you happy- is something bright and poppy to your taste? Or more dark and traditional? There are so many options.

10. marcfreund636

marcfreund636New Member

Threads:
    I am glad if i help you dear.. Arrange your furniture in separate areas , For a girly touch drape hang your mirror with a cool stuff. Photos, cards and wall art are cool stuff for your walls. Buy cute accent pillows for your bed it gives a traditional look to your room. Hang string lights with curtain are newly fashion..

11. Sobriety

SobrietyNew Member

Threads:
    Having a little bit of OCD (or at least I think I do), I like to make sure that all furniture and decorations have matching colors and are neatly organized. To further decorate your house, perhaps putting some paintings up could help? Family paintings, photos, etc, can be framed and placed on walls around the house. Decorated/patterned curtains are also advisable for decoration. Painting your walls can also be decorative.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This last time I moved, I sold off all of my furniture since it didn't make sense to spend all the money moving it when it was already 8 years old and past it's prime. I bought a new bed and a couch set, but the rest of the stuff I held off on and got a little at a time. Sure, my place looked empty for a few months, but the stores most of the time offered free delivery, so it saved me all the hassle of moving all that stuff.

Rather than spend to move the stuff, perhaps sell some of it, and put the money saved from not moving to buy new stuff?

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before you move, go through your stuff and see what you can donate or sell at a yard sale.
    Having less clutter can make your home automatically look more pulled together and appealing.
    Some people who can't afford to redecorate just get rid of their clutter and rearrange the furniture that they have and it looks like a new room without spending any money.

14. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I mainly try to match the rugs and walls. We have pine walls where we live now, so basically anything matches when it comes to color-coordinating. We've picked burgundy as our color. We just bought some new curtains and bedsheets to pull it all together. Nice, clean curtains really pull everything together if you ask me!

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Check out pintrest a lot of great ideas on that site.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a storage unit large enough to hold a few rooms of furniture. Then you can take your time and acquire pieces and fixtures while you are doing the work on your house. When it's ready, you will already have several if not all of what you need available and waiting.

17. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    See if you have a local Restore. These stores take donations from contractors and resell them. The profits go to Habitat for Humanity. Sometimes they have new supplies and sometimes it is things taken out of renovated homes. Either way they have a good selection. They have appliances, furniture, lighting, cabinets. doors and so forth. Thiis is a great way to furnish your home.

18. karebear07

karebear07New Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what your style is. I love sites like pinterest where you can actually see pictures of how people decorate their house. It is a good site to inspiration and learn how to do some DIY projects!