HP Laptop Already Overheating

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by steph84 • Aug 14, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I just bought this HP laptop a few months ago and it is already experiencing overheating issues. My Macbook Pro also had tons of overheating issues and the fans broke too. Does anyone have any tips besides using a chill pad?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had the same problem with an HP laptop I bought late last year. My computer died, and they had a heavily marked down HP laptop (like $300) that sounded like it had pretty decent specs, so I snatched it up to tide me over till I got more money to get a better replacement. Within the first 2-3 days of using it the fan started running super hard whenever I was doing anything simple on the computer. It was really loud. I've two Dell desktops that gave me the same problem, they sounded like jet engines, and both of them eventually died on me within a year.

Can you still return the laptop? It's probably still under warranty, but I doubt HP will offer to swap you out a different model. Some of these laptops from companies like Dell and HP are just poorly designed from the get go, and are prone to overheating no matter what you do. I used to think maybe it was something I had running on my computer that was causing the problem, and would spend days clearing everything off and running the bare minimum and nothing would fix the problem. I even tried putting this special gel on the processor that was supposed to help diffuse the heat from it better. Didn't help.

3. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    If you are having the same problem with both products, maybe it just has to do with the environment temperature?

In my house, my computers only come close to overheating in the summer. The winter never gives me any problems whatsoever with overheating, even with the most processor-intensive programs. try using it near an actual fan? Or buy a high-quality cooling pad!

4. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with FlipKup, its not coincidence that both your laptops had overheating problems. Try keeping your laptop near a place where there is constant flow of air or use a cooling pad. I know you mentioned that you don't want to go for a cooling pad but unless you can do something about the environment where you keep your laptop, using external cooling methods is your best option.

5. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have an HP and it overheated all the time. Even to the point where it would just shut off. I found it was the worst when I had it on on my lap or on my bed. Just try to choose a surface, like a desk, where it has a little more breathing room. I also agree with the cooling pad suggestion.

6. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    Actually some malware can cause problems with your CPU and overheating. It causes a disturbance in the settings that govern when your fan kicks on. You can also overheat and fry your sensors. Keep your laptop out of hot cars and the sun.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    It's good to open up the computer every once in a while and clean the inside. There's probably dust caught in the fan making the computer overheat. You want to avoid certain things like watching videos on YouTube will cause your computer to overheat because the CPU has to work to run the video. Games are also a reason that your computer is overheating. The graphics cause your computer to overheat. You can buy a replacement fan and that should fix the problem if cleaning it doesn't help.

8. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Most laptops will overheat, reason being they're designed to stay at a regular temperature while being used and NOT charged. So if you're using them while they're plugged in it's adding an extra source of heat they just can't deal with.

This of course is amplified if you're using it on some malleable or heat conducting surface (lap, bed, some woods etc.) or simply by the amount of heat (windows, stoves, fireplaces, etc.).

Cooling pads and external fans will both work wonders. Other options are simply using it in a different location (I find glass tables are really good for sucking the heat right out of a computer), unplugging it when it's full, then plugging it back in at around 45% power (just keep the cycle going) and possibly simply putting it on some sort of elevated stand that allows for better airflow.