Hulu Plus - Is it Worth It?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by MEGATRUCK • May 3, 2012.

1. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    Has anyone out there tried out Hulu Plus? It seems like it would be worth my time (as I don't have a digital TV connection) but I'm worried if the cost is too much. Should I do Netflix or something else instead? I need some feedback.

2. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I'm curious about this, too, so hopefully this will bump it up and someone will respond. I had to get rid of my cable and am looking for an alternative. Is Hulu Plus really as great as it claims to be?

3. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I have Hulu Plus.

It's a very mixed bag. First off, as you know there is a free version on your computer. But Hulu Plus allows you to watch Hulu on all your other devices outside of a computer. Plus Hulu Plus has network shows and they get the new episodes of things about 9 hours after they aired on regular television. But they DO make you still look at commercials though.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It depends on how much you would actually use it.

For me personally, no, it's not worth it. I can watch most of what I want for free either on Hulu or Project Free TV. It's not necessarily the best quality some times, but I don't need much.

If you're a frequent watcher and would use it a lot, then it could certainly be worth it.

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the TV shows that you watch can be downloaded for free. If you want to pay for a service to watch something, that's already available that's fine. I don't watch TV that much, and any shows I want to watch I download them from my friends. Netflix increases their prices frequently, which makes it hard to depend on a certain price for service. I haven't tried Hulu yet, but I would guess it's similar to Netflix.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't imagine it would be much worth it for me. I watch the free version of hulu on my computer, and I find that it's more than good enough.

7. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    Which has the more shows though: Netflix or Hulu? I don't receive channels like Comedy Central & HBO, so it'd be nice to know which service has more of these shows.

8. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's worth it. I always found Netflix or something to be a better deal. That and with enough internet savvy-ness, you can get just about any show for free viewing if you know what I mean. Aside from that, I'd say services like iTunes or Netflix, even Hulu free would be better.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was curious about Hulu Plus too. I do like Hulu because I am able to watch the older television shows that I missed when they aired. I have discovered quite a few gems. I'm not really into the "popular" shows so I didn't want to spring for the Plus version.

@Jessi: Thank for the Project Free TV tip. I didn't know about it.

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not convinced that all of these alternatives to TV is even worth anymore, by the time you pay for this service and that service and bought what you've needed to record and download, you might as well keep cable and it simple. Maybe most of what I want to watch isn't served by these other options, but it all seems to be over the top at this point.

11. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    No I wouldn't say so.
    Try getting a Amazon Prime membership. Its 79 dollars, but you get free 2 day shipping on all
    of your orders and you get instant streaming TV and Movies. I saw Melancholia the other day. It was complete and
    utter nonsense.

12. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:

Except that Amazon Prime seems to make a point to put their crappiest shows on the network instead of decent things.

13. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently using a 7 day trail for Hulu Plus and I am not that impressed. Not very many of the shows I enjoy are on there.

14. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    Don't waste your money on Hulu Plus. I have Hulu and Netflix. Hulu Plus is a waste of good money. I watch so many good movies and shows on Netflix without commercials. Plus Netflix just upgraded their software. It is really neat now. Hulu still has commercials even if you pay for the Plus service. The one good thing about Hulu is you can auto play items in your queue. Netflix does not have that feature. I hope they get it soon, though.:p

15. afterhours

afterhoursNew Member

Threads:
    I honestly think Netflix is your best choice here. Stick with the free version of Hulu and head over to Netflix when you want to see something more substantial.

16. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    It is really going to depend on what shows and movies you like. If you are all about the new network shows and don't have the local channels you may want to get Hulu Plus so you can keep up with your favorite shows. However, if you are more interested in movies and older TV shows you will get more from Netflix. I have tried both and prefer Netflix by far. I like having the complete seasons of those old TV shows. I also really enjoy all the old black and white movies!

17. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about upgrading too but from the sounds of it Hulu Plus isn't worth it. I don't think I'll be wasting my money if I'm still going to have to sit through those commercials. And I'm not too into those newer shows that I need to see it right away. I'll just stick with Netflix at the moment.

18. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    The only reason I bought Hulu plus was because it is really convenient on my ipad. I travel a lot and it is nice to have Hulu Plus on my iPad so during my down time I can easily watch shows I like such as The Daily Show and Colbert Report. If I can use my iPad instead of laptop it frees up my whole computer screen for work which makes it a lot easier.

19. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately, we don't have Hulu here in Canada but I can access it with a VPN and can't imagine much better than that. To be honest, I would suggest getting a Netflix subscription.

20. missnc35

missnc35Member

Threads:
    I don't have Hulu Plus, but I did hear that they still have ads when you stream videos from them. That is probably why I prefer Netflix even though they are a couple seasons behind. Personally, I hate commercials and ads so I would rather do away with them all together.