Hulu Plus - Is it Worth It?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by MEGATRUCK • May 3, 2012.

1. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people who subscribe to Hulu Plus and absolutely love it. Some love it so much that they have even cut off their local cable service and use it exclusively for TV programming. I haven't subscribed so I don't have any personal experience with it yet, but have been thinking about it. Another great idea is to partner this service with a device like a Roku so that you can stream directly to your TV without having to use your PC.

2. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    Now see I hate Netflix and actually like Hulu. I'm more of a workaholic though and work from the computer and don't watch much TV except for when there's something I really want to watch, like Hell's Kitchen. Other than that, I'm not bothered by it too much. My TV stays on mute much of the time, and I still pay out the wazoo for internet and cable. But to me, Netlifx shows stuff that I don't particularly care for while Hulu usually has something that I like. But that's just me.

3. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    People have to remember that with hulu plus, you're paying for convenience, not programming. If you use Hulu ONLY on your computer, then there really isn't any sense in buying plus. Hulu Plus is basically for all those that like to use devices other than the computer.

4. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:

I hate to admit it, but that's true. In that regard Hulu Plus has that silly xbox live ideal that you pay for the "right" to use what you already used else where free.

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have never tried or watched Hulu. Probably won't either. I do like their commercials though. They got some good actors to promote their product. Like Alec Baldwin and Eliza Dushku.

6. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    I do Hulu plus when there are new episodes of the shows I want to see airing. Right now we have cancelled our Hulu Plus but in a few more weeks when the new seasons start back up we will sign back up for Hulu Plus. I like that I can see the new episodes just hours after they aired. We also have netflix but honestly it seems to only have older movies and television series. There isn't a lot of new content on Netflix anymore.

7. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I have Hulu Plus and I don't think it's worth paying. They have too many commercial ads while you're trying to watch tv shows and movies. I think if you pay for Hulu Plus they should at least make it commercial free.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't think it's a good deal for what they charge. Especially considering that you're still forced to watch commercials. The programs available on Hulu Plus are lacking. Even as a paid subscriber, you can sometimes only watch short clips of a show, not the full show. It's pretty misleading really, because if you're just browsing through their selection to see what they got, it might look good on the surface. However as soon as you pay and then go to watch a show, you find this out.

9. ChristiQ

ChristiQMember

Threads:
    We have both Netflix and Hulu Plus. While they're both TV/movie services, they are very different.

With Netflix, you get lots of movies, and even more TV series. They have lots of complete seasons of shows (from the 70's to today). What is available rotates through pretty regular, but you rarely get any big name movies. They seem to be focusing more on getting TV shows. If you have kids, there is Netflix for Kids, which has shows organized by characters, like SpongeBob, Dora, Rugrats, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. It's easy for kids to find their favorite shows, and you won't have to be checking the rating on the show before they watch it.

With Hulu Plus, you're mostly getting current-run TV show. As someone else mentioned, you can get a show the morning after it airs on regular TV. Yes, you can illegally download current TV shows, but that is getting riskier and riskier. (Anyone been to Demonoid, lately?) Plus, you can "favorite" your shows and subscribe to new episodes. Anytime a new episode airs, it will automatically be added to your queue. Hulu is adding more movies and more kids shows to try to compete with Netflix. My teenage sons likes being able to watch wrestling on Hulu Plus. There are some episodes/seasons that are not available to free users. During the summer months (or when our shows are on hiatus) we put our subscription "on hold." It's like hitting the pause button on our subscription. We can still watch stuff online as a free user, but if there are no new shows airing, we won't be charged the monthly fee. I would suggest trying Hulu Plus as a free trial before deciding if you want to keep it. You can get a 2 week free trial here:

(This is my referral link. If you join, I get 2 weeks free too. Just trying to be upfront and honest.) If you don't want to continue after the free trial, you must cancel Hulu Plus prior to midnight Eastern Time on the last day of your free trial period or you will be charged for your first month.

Like I said, we have both and we are very happy with both. We don't have cable or satellite TV. We pretty much have it with Netflix and Hulu for only $16/month. That's a lot cheaper than cable/satellite.

Whew! That was a long post! Sorry. :eek:

edit: Regarding commercials on Hulu Plus, yes, there are commercials still on Hulu Plus, but it's usually only 1 or 2 per commercial break. Not the 4 or 5 for regular TV. But, yes, sometimes it still gets annoying. :/

10. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    I tired Hulu Plus when they were offering a free trial. I'm not sure if they still offer that or not. Although we enjoyed the convenience of having Hulu Plus we decided not to purchase it now but it's possible that we will in the future. Our schedules are too crazy busy right now to watch much TV. I have friends that have it and love it but for us it just wasn't that appealing or necessary at the moment.

11. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on your show choices. I had tried it a long time ago. But recently we gave it another shot and are not happy with it. There is really only one show we love to wacth on it and even then it for copyright law reasons can not be streams through our ROKU device. We have to watch it on the web! It also has commercials, I could of got that with cable lol. We will be canceling at the end of the month.