Hummus

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Mar 29, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I love hummus but it can get really expensive to buy it in the shops. It's usually £1 or more for a small tub here. I prefer to make it myself in order to save money and that way I can add in whatever flavors I want to add as well. I particularly like to make spicy hummus to go with vegetable sticks. Does anyone else here make their own hummus? What flavors do you make? Or do you prefer to buy it? For me, the saving is definitely worthwhile to make it myself!

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love hummus too, but it is very pricey if you buy it pre-made. I buy it in cans at my local international market for 60 cents and it is enough for 6 people. Chickpeas are very inexpensive too so you can make it at home and add any flavors you want.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too LOVE hummus, but i've never actually made it myself. I have always bought store made ones. But I've heard it's very easy to make. I've even seen some woman making it on Come Dine With Me and was amazed at how easy it looked. Of course, the home made version tastes a lot better, so I too will have to try and make some of my own. I've only ever tasted the regular and spicy version, and loved both equally :)

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    You should definitely try to make it @Lushlala@Lushlala! It's so easy to make! Especially if you've got a blender. Stick it all in there, turn the blender on and it's done basically! Nice and easy and you can make it any time! I love making it myself so that you can choose how spicy you want it too. I find that sometimes I want it hotter than others. Being able to adjust it to how I want it beats buying an unknown quantity of spice at the store.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

OMG cocolgooh, I LOVE it, and yes I do have a blender. I can believe it's easy to make because the lady I saw making it on the cooking program, just seemed to do exactly what you said. It also doesn't seem to take that long to make. But then I thought as delicious as it is, there's no way it's as easy as it looks LOL Now that you've given me a little confidence and some enthusiasm for it, I'll definitely give it a go. The only problem's that my husband doesn't really like it, so I'd have to use it up real quick. Thanks, cocolgooh :)

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have never tried to make my own hummus. What a great idea. My kids love it and I send it to school with them just about every day. It gets quite expensive. I have a colleague at work who makes her own hummus and tells me it is quite easy to make. I just found a great recipes that looks easy enough and gives you tips on how to make it smooth.

I'm sure if you want to add flavours like roasted garlic or sun dried tomatoes you could get inspiration from this website.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    No doubt about about it - making your own hummus is for sure extremely worthwhile - as apart from being very much cheaper - its very definitely a whole lot tastier and way healthier than anything that can be bought from a store.

In fact having always made my own hummus - its not something that I could never justify buying ready made - as not only is it extremely inexpensive, quick and easy to make - but as it goes with virtually any kind of food and the flavor can very easily be changed - as can the consistency - with the addition of a little flavored vinegar - we tend to go through a huge amount of it in my household - especially as its absolutely great for using as a dipping sauce - as well as - using as a dressing for salads, vegetables (roasted or raw) various meats and fish or even as a base for sandwich fillings etc.

Oh and I would just add - that if you also make your own tahini - as I do - it cuts the cost down even further - especially as tahini generally tends to be the most expensive ingredient.

8. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala Good luck making your own! I'm sure it'll turn out great!

@purplepen88@purplepen88 Thanks for those links. There's some great ideas there for different flavours to try for sure! I'd never thought about adding sundried tomatoes! And I love those!

@gata montes@gata montes Making your own tahini sounds great too! How do you make that? I hadn't thought of doing that myself!

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to make my own, but I haven't in a while since I've been reluctant to pick up a jar of tahini sauce since it's rather pricey. The problem previously was that I didn't make it often enough, and the tahini sauce would sit in my fridge for months until it went bad and I had to toss it.

I've been meaning to try making it again, as I recently saw some Youtube videos with a trick for peeling the skins of the garbanzo beans in bulk. If I recall, it was something about soaking them in water with baking soda for a bit, and then rubbing them with your hands - causing the skins to fall off into the bottom of the bowl. Removing the skins supposedly gives you a much smoother hummus.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Making your own tahini or sesame seed paste as we call it where I live - is so quick and simple that I think you'll be surprised - in fact as it only requires two ingredients - think it safe to say - that it probably requires less time and effort than making hummus.

As all it really involves is

toast 1 cup of sesame seeds in a skillet over a low heat until golden brown (takes approx 2-3 mins)
    leave to cool - after which time
    pop them into a food processor or blender and gradually add anything from 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil or more - until you have the consistency you require (takes approx 3 - 4 mins)

and hey presto - you have tahini.

That said - although I've always used the centuries old traditional recipe mentioned above - of I cup of sesame seeds to approx 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive or more - depending on the consistency I'm after - which - as we use tahini here - in much the same way as other countries use peanut butter - as well as for hummus - tends to vary depending on what I'm using it for.

As tahini can be made using any kind of sesame seeds - hulled, natural, un-hulled, raw or toasted - bearing in mind - that each variety will result in different flavor, color and texture - as there are now a few new variations to the old traditional recipe - as well as - some that use slightly different techniques - hopefully this will help

as not only does it give you a step by step guide on how to make tahini - using an almost identical method to how I make mine - plus a few alternatives - but it contains a whole lot of useful information too - for example - how and where are the best places to buy sesame seeds - at the cheapest prices - for those - that don't have them as freely available as we do here.