Hungry Harvest- Buy Cheap Fresh Fruits And Vegetables

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Beast_Titan • Jul 31, 2017.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Hungry Harvest is an online store that sells fruits and vegetables for a very cheap price. Why do they sell them for a very cheap price? Well Millions of fruits and vegetables are thrown away eventhough they are safe to eat and they freshly harvested because they don't look pretty.

Like these deformed sweet potatoes:
    UglyVegiesINLINE1.

Or Imperfectly shaped Apple:
    4238820451_3d2ef329cb_b.

These fruits and vegetables are fresh and they are not rotting but they will never make it to the groceries because they don't look pretty. Most farms just threw them away to rot, so imagine how much food is being wasted.

Now you can buy these reject fruits and vegetables and have fresh fruits and vegetables for a cheaper price. Hungry Harvest is FDA approved BTW. The fruits and veggies just gor rejected because of weird shapes.

Just like this potato:
    Potato-Mutato.

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Wow that is a really great idea. I can't believe that they would just throw them away since they are still good to eat. I mean does it really matter if the fruit or vegetable is perfectly shaped or not? Thanks for sharing this site. I will have to check it out. Who doesn't love cheaper prices? I find it interesting to see veggies that have grown into weird shapes.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    This is a very good piece of info I never thought there is a site with this kind of sound idea to make fruits available at cheap rates instead of them going bad. This initiative of packaging fruits and making them available at affordable prices is an intelligent positive venture. I am not sure how customer from far countries would benefit since some fruits do go bad within few days knowing that it would take days for them to reach far countries.

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the fruits and vegetables are rejected for discoloration like the granny smith apple that I received. It is too pale and not green enough. Some of them don't look deformed at all and will make you wonder why they got rejected. To make this store more awesome, the produce they sell are organic. Imagine organic veggies that are cheaper than mass produced ones.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was working in Washington State, I worked in the area near where most of the apples was grown, and one of my clients was an orchard owner. They had some huge and beautiful apples, and then another box that they were culling out. The apples that they were looking for were the ones that go into the specialty boxes where each fruit is separately wrapped and packaged, and they are very expensive, so each apple must be perfect.
    I was able to buy a whole box of the culled apples for about $4, which was a lot cheaper than you could even buy the smaller apples in most stores. I bought apples for my family, and several friends, and we all enjoyed them. These apples were far nicer than any that were sold in grocery stores; so I do not know why the growers didn't just sell them to the stores instead of culling them.

6. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    This is a great deal. In my country export rejects are not thrown away to rot but sold locally. Well, probably because I'm in a developing country. It's frustrating to throw food away just because they don't look pretty and yet in some nations people are starving to death. Thanks hungry harvest for coming up with such a platform.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    You can see how happy their customers are because not only they save money, they were also able to help fight hunger and save mother nature. Hungry harvest also donates food for impoverished families.

8. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Wow, how come i have never heard of this website until now, thank you for bringing it up, i'll definitely make sure to buy from it regularly.

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The vegetables and fruits I received to day are not deformed at all. They are only rejected because of size. I received cucumbers and squash that got rejected because they are too big to fit inside the Styrofoam packages. That is a lame reason to leave a fresh produce to rot. I also received some onions are that are too small. Seriously the pretty vegetables and these reject vegetables have no difference in nutrition and taste.

I just saw someone who questions how safe the ugly produce are and i can tell you one thing, It is safe and FDA wont allow selling them legally if they are not. They actually encourage buying them to stop food wastage.

10. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, I didn't even know such a site even existed. It sounds a bit shady at first but it looks like a legit website that could help out people who are struggling for food and money. Thanks for sharing this website, if I am ever low on cash I might look to it in the future. Hopefully it is available in my area.

11. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    @

It recently got featured on the TV show Shark Tank and owner of this business managed to get an investor. It has also been featured in National Geographic and multiple news shows. There are now other businesses that copies its format like Imperfect produce, Fast Company and End Food waste.

12. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Hmm, that's probably why I haven't heard of it. I usually don't watch shows like that on a daily basis, I really don't watch television as much as I use to. Maybe I should start if these types of deals are available. Thanks for the information again, it was useful. Also thanks for informing me on the other companies.

13. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Imperfect produce is becoming more popular now than Hungry Harvest because they deliver a bigger box of veggies because they don't donate to charity. Hungry Harvest donates to charity so their box is slightly smaller.

14. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Good idea but in my country, nobody really throws away food because of its irregular and not so pretty shape. Infact food and vegetables that have began to rot are still sold at the cheapest price to people who can barely afford it.

At the local market, after farmers supply their price, th

15. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    After farmers supply their produce, the products are selected and categorized. The bad ones are sorted and people still buy. There's really no room for waste unless there are no buyers.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wonderful to have it, but I went to their site and they don't deliver to my area...yet. Guess I'll have to wait for this to come to our area. There are elderly where I live and some have a hard time getting around now. I'm a Senior Cititzen already, too so looking into the future this will be very good to have in our neighborhood. I hope many that help the impoverished get wind of this for they can help so many too. Thanks for the information!

17. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I am assuming you are from Hawaii based from the blog on your signature. I think your only option will be Hawaii food basket. It is a site where you can buy directly from the farmers. It is also cheap from what I heard about it.

18. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this information Beast_Titan! I'm glad that a store like this exist in this world. Life runs on food so we should not waste it. I don't care about the shape, I care about how healthy these fruits and vegetables are. The sad thing is that Hungry Harvest is not yet available in my country yet which is the Philippines. I can't wait to order here once they are available here.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :)Thank you for the information! I'll share about it too. Hawaii has a lot of Senior Citizen so this will be very helpful to them. I go to The Farmer's Market that's in town and get some fresh vegetables. I went to Target at Ala Moana Center, where I found that they have Red Delicious apples for .99! I love Red Delicious apples and paid 1.86 usually or nearer to 2.00, but I love it so I don't mind. I put a bit of peanut butter crunch type and enjoy it as a dessert. I thought that this was just for the grand opening, but found as I go shopping the price for Red Delicious is .99 for each always! Terrific!!! Their bread is expensive! I can get a fresh loaf of round sourdough bread and get it cut too, for just 1.69 at Safeway supermarkets! Thanks so much for the information I will share about it for in this hard times everyone needs a helping delicious hand.:)

20. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    In your country, food waste is not really much of a big issue because fruits and vegetables whether they have perfect shape or not are sold to the market on the same bin. They have the equal treatment.

It became an issue on Western countries because they suddenly preferred the pretty ones and waste all the badly shaped ones.