Hydro Electric Power Hardly Being Considered

Discussion in Water started by explorerx7 • Nov 17, 2017.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that in most discussions about alternatives to Fossil fuel energy sources that there is hardly any mention of hydro electricity generation. I am wondering if this type of energy sources has become too costly to considered as an alternative anymore. I believe that it's an environmentally friendly source, therefore, I am curious of the factors that would possibly be preventing hydro power to be projectec as a major alternative source.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    On the contrary, @explorerx7@explorerx7 , hydropower had been in use for a century in some countries that it is nothing new at this point and that after exploring and using this option, many countries are looking for other renewable sources of energy. That is probably why you got this impression that it is not being talked about much at this point.

Our country uses a mix of hydropower, geothermal, wind, biomass, and solar energy and more investors are coming in to develop more alternative sources. The more advanced countries like the US have been operating hydropower plants which are providing electricity in substantial levels that they are no longer part of their renewable energy goals or standards at this point. In addition, there are issues about it being a renewable energy and being environment-friendly at the same time so not much has been built in recent years.

#2Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    According to a report, hydro electricity potential in my home countru is 83 thousand mega watts, however, only 1000 mega watts of hydroelectricity has been products. The electricity production cost for hydro electricity is very costly, I guess.
    There is one drawback of hydro electricity. It is not stable. Production decreases in dry season.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Hydroelectric power should not be expensive, some people may confuse it with geothermal power. A good number of people in my area have constructed hydrams which relies on kinetic energy and inexpensive installation of equipment.