I Don't Throw Away Potato Skin

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Beast_Titan • Aug 30, 2017.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    It is safe to eat and it still have some nutrients on it like potassium,Iron and Niacin. I just wash them in running water until I get rid of all the dirt and I either fry them or bake them. They make delicious and crispy chips. That is some delicious side dish or snack you can get for free.

In some recipes like stew, I don't bother to peel the potatoes. It is additional nutrients for me.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to make french fries at home until I learned of the potato wedges. I agree that potato skin is nutritious so we just fry potato wedges now. Soak the potatoes for 30 minutes then wash it thoroughly with running water before slicing. Frying is just like making fries. At least we don't throw away the skin anymore.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I used to not eat the skins, and then I learned they were good for you and finally tried them, and they are delicious as well. Now I never let them go to waste, or at least try not to.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Not throwing away potato skin is unheard of over here. When we cook dishes with potato, the skin always gets peeled away. Even if the skin is nutritious, I don't think I would want my potatoes to be cooked with skin.

5. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    I would argue that potato skins are the best part of a baked potato. My absolute favorite way of making them is on the grill, wrapped in heavy foil. I leave them until they are thoroughly done which concentrates the sugars in the vegetable and leaves the skin crisp.

If the weather does not permit, there's a wonderful way to make baked potatoes inside which leaves the skin almost a delicious as grilling. Simply clean and pat dry your potato, rub it in olive oil, and dust with a little salt. Put these potoatoes directly on your rack and bake at a high temperature, 400 degrees or more, until done. The skins will be flavorful thanks to the addition of the healthy fat found in olive oil while retaining it's nutritional value.

6. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I find this tip very helpful and practical hence peeling potato skin is really bothersome and time consuming. I have never tried it before and this is actually the first time I heard about this technique and I can't wait to try this one. I also love some of @Punkin@Punkin suggestions and cooking tips about potatoes.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is something I'll want to try. Yes, I tend to throw potato skin away for most recipes but now I know better. Thanks! There's one potato recipe that we do keep the skin on and that's baked potato marbles. We just bake them along with chicken using the turbo broiler and serve them as a side dish by adding butter and salt. The kids love them and no one even notices the skin. I'm sure they'll enjoy the chips from the potato skin, too.

8. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I definitely also do this as well. I leave my potatoes skins on. But you have to ensure they are thoroughly rinsed/washed and are free of dirt. They are most delicious especially if your potatoes are baked as wedges. However, if I want to eat thin sliced fries or mashed potatoes, I always take off the skin.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    We also eat potato skins, however, we don't eat potato skins alone, we eat potato wedges with skin on them. I don't know about the health benefits of potato skins, however, we eat potatoes with skin. I hear that when you eat potato skins you are under the risk of appendicitis because potato skins do not easily digest.

10. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    That is a nice suggestion. Actually all the nutrients contained in a potato are located right next to the skin and so peeling the potatoes loses them. I too never peel potatoes but use them with the skin intact unless, of course, the skin is too bruised in some places, I take it off but don't peel the entire potato. Frying potatoes with skin intact makes them crispier and tastier.

11. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    This is certainly new to me because nobody around here does that. Atleast not that I know of. We always regard it as waste and get rid of every bit of it.

It's amazing how much useful so many things we disregard are. The next time I'm having a potatoe dish I'm going to save the peel and make it useful.

12. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I tried cooking potatoes with their skins on, they had a somewhat bitter taste. Its a good way to improve food security since they come at no cost. They are good for controlling diabetes and should be boiled first before frying in fat and then roasting or adding condiments to taste.

13. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I always eat the potato skin when I eat baked potatoes. I never realized that people didn't eat them. Also around here a lot of restaurants serve potato skins as an appetizer and they are around $5~$7 depending on what restaurant you go to, They are served with green onion, cheese, and sour cream.

14. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    It's true I hear experts talk about the importance of potato peels. They also talk about fruit peels like the orange peels. Although many people can take time to be convinced about the importance of the potato skins, I do recommend for the same. Nothing should be wasted from the word go.

15. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a great way to save a bit of food. Eating potato skins can help fill up an appetite or at least give you the chance to make great side dishes or add them in a dish you are already making. You never know, one day you might be low on food, they could be a nice little snack. I think cooking the skins is quite resourceful. Every little bit counts.