I Hate Returning Items

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Feb 5, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually hate returning items because it's such a hassle and I know you will always get asked why and they try to get you to exchange instead. If you have an exchange they are usually nicer to you than if you ask for a refund. Unless it is a high price item I would rather give it away or give it to someone else to take back on my behalf.

If something is faulty then I will take it back, but I have to work out my speech what to say to convince them it wasn't my fault. Sometimes the staff are understanding and other times they are suspicious, which is annoying because it's hassle bringing it back already without being treated as if you are scamming them.

2. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    This exact reason is why I dread returning items, I always feel like the employees think I'm trying to scam them. I returned a faulty electrical item once and though I was patient with all the queries and had the receipts for proof of purchase, I was worn out by the questions and offers to exchange the item for another one. I just wanted my money back!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate returning items myself.

Two years back I bought my niece a very nice pair of shoes. They were kind of expensive, too. But they were too small for her. The mother requested me to return the shoes. I refused. She however being the kind of person who is very confrontational, asked me for the receipt and next day she came back with a different pair of shoes. Said it was pretty easy. Yeah. For some people it is.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind returning an item. Now, if I was trying to pull a fast one on somebody, then I would be nervous because deep-down I know that I'm doing something wrong.

If I'm broke and I need the money, then I feel kind of funny because I feel like I'm being desperate since they have the power to turn me down. Although I can accept it, I don't like rejection, especially if I'm broke and really need to return an item.
    However, if everything is above board, even if I'm broke, if I'm in the right, then it's full steam ahead.
    I might not be 100% comfortable with all the questions, comments, the suspicion, but it's not a deal-breaker for me either.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, I don't think the malls offer any refund, only exchange of the item within 7 days, so we customers pretty much have no choice. I'm not sure about the small stores though like thrift shops, I guess it depends on the owner.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also hate returning items but sometimes you really have to no matter how much the item was bought. Like just last month, I bought a can of potato string snack and when I opened it at home I discovered that it didn't smell and taste right (like it was exposed to some chemicals).

My husband told me not to bother returning the snack because the travel time was really not worth it. However, thinking that other consumers might also buy it unaware, I felt that it was my obligation to return the item and make a request that the stock/s be pulled out from the shelves as it might harm the health of anyone who consumed it - and so I did. :)

But honestly speaking, if it was just a simple item that's not a threat to someone's health, then I definitely won't bother returning it (but only if the item was cheap).

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the most part UK stores are very understanding. I worked in UK retail for quite a while, and usually it's not a problem so long as you still have your receipt and the tags. If you don't have the proper packaging, then you can only secure a credit note. There's no need to feel bad about it as most stores don't even question it.

I used to work for Next and you wouldn't believe the types of stunts I used to come across from certain sections of society. For instance, people would wear shoes to their death then return them, claiming they were uncomfy! I would initially say no, but would be overruled by management. These were "repeat offenders" who I felt were taking the Michael, but hey they still got a credit note to get another pair. I suppose it depends on each store.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I Dislike it too and I really wish companies gave some sort of compensation for when their items turn out to be faulty instead of merely just offering a replacement. Once I had to return my items I purchased online and that was fairly easy enough since I only had to go to a shipment center to return it but it still was work and time I had to put in.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I likewise find it tedious to return items. I rarely do, but when the situation calls for it, I'd rather not make an effort. The return or exchange process usually takes some time (give or take a few hours). If you're always on the go, you won't be able to put up with the waiting. The only time I endured the process was when I bought my dad a polo shirt that's way too small for his size. I had to go back to the brand that was selling it and exchange the item for a bigger size.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    What I hate most about this is that they treat you like you are trying to pull one over them when it's their fault that you got a crappy product in the first place most of the time. I recently experienced having a hard time returning a product I bought online that didn't work as it should and I had to call them myself and wait for their customer service to pick up for a long time as if it were my fault that I'm trying to get my money back. It has made me a little more hesitant to buy from these stores now.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    @DrRipley@DrRipley, that I absolutely hate that....when you have a genuine situation and have indeed received a shoddy quality item that didn't last as long as you expected/were promised. But in this type of situation, I actually have the courage to stand and say, this aint fair and I'm not taking it lying down, and I refuse apologise for it. I mean, some of them act all funny with you, even when the receipt says you're within your rights to return faulty items inside 30 days from the date of purchase. What's that all about??

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like the idea of having to return because of the rigours that some entities would want to put me through in trying to dissuade me from returning the goods. However, if it is warranted the item should be returned, then I am gonna have to face the displeasure of returning it because I am not willing to let my hard earned money go to waste.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't often have to return items some times I will just keep the item but other times I will get my money back. I purchase a lot of marketing materials online and often just keep them even when they are junk. Recently I purchased a course that was hyped to be the best thing since sliced bread, the first problem was after I paid my money I could not get into the program. I tried many times but no joy. I tried to send a support ticket requesting help but even that was in pain in the rear and would not give me an answer to my problem. Now the sellers said submit the ticket or call us. So I called, no answer, I then went onto their facebook page and asked for help. Their answer was submit a support ticket and we will help you. Okay I am getting a little hot under the collar by now. Next I was told I had not completed the purchase and for me to contact paypal. Paypal said no I was good. I then contacted them again, letting them know it was their problem and not mine and to fix it. I also signed up to promote their product, if course the first thing they said is theis great course will help you be a better affiliate by this.

Ok, I finally get into the course and the one that was suggested and sat on a webinar where they guy went on and on about how well he was doing. Both course were crap, a big waste of time. After all they put me thru I asked for my money back, it was not a lot but it was crap and the hassle they sent me thru after paying for their crap. I quickly asked for my money back.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too and usually I have never had to return an item until last year when I bought a microwave at Walmart. It came and I was so happy, but it didn't work at all. Then I called the company's customer service and we tried together to see what the problem is and when it was determined it was a faulty machine and take it back to Walmart for a refund. Then at Walmart I explained the whole story and no problem they gave me a refund. My problem arises mostly for transportation for I only bus it. But I do not like to return or get a refund on items I bought, I'd rather it all worked and all fit!

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where I have to return the item to. Walmart is great about returns and exchanges. All they want is the receipt. They don't seem to be that interested in the story of why I'm returning the item. Now , returning items to Kmart is a living hell. If you buy an item online from Kmart.com, you have to mail the item in for a refund. You can't return items bought on Kmart's website to a physical store. It was an ordeal to return a grill pan because they lost my package for a couple of weeks.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of the rice cooker that I bought in January. It was not working after a week so I hurriedly went back to the department store on the following weekend. Returns and exchanges here are for 7 days only. Fortunately, since the appliance was really not working, I was allowed to get a replacement. And there was no more item of the same model so I bought another brand.

That errand costs me a half day of my weekend. It's really a big waste of time to return faulty items.

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Tell me about it! I like how they look you up and down and ask what is wrong with their product. I wish there was a way to speed up the return process. It is always just one person doing returns and there are 20 people in line who are just so mad.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Mate, it is indeed unfair and terrible. I can understand it though since I'm sure shops have to deal with false returns all the time, but I think the best retailers will never let the negatives get in the way of the legit customers who have legit concerns. I run a retail shop too so I can understand the frustration but I just choose to accept returns no questions asked so I don't turn off the customers with legitimate concerns, but it really is difficult putting up with the false ones sometimes. I get frustrated as a seller but I also get frustrated as a customer lol so I sympathize with both sides and I think the ones that screw it up for all of us is the cheaters. :D

19. Lushlala

Threads:
    I see your point @DrRipley@DrRipley, but I think sometimes stores make it both hard and easy on the customer, but not necessarily getting it right. In my experience, as someone who's worked extensively in retail, there were times in the past when I used to think the retail industry left itself open for abuse, and subsequently made it even worse for smaller, independent stores because these 'repeat offenders' would then expect exactly the same treatment. Yep, customers for you!

I strongly believe that setting expectations and delivering on them, is the best way to go. For instance, the 28 days returns policy could be utilised and stuck to more in stores. Deviating too much from it can set a very horrible precedent, as I even witnessed with my own eyes. Of course, no one case is exactly the same as the last, so this is where discretion, based on each individual case, is paramount.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like it either, but I would rather return than lose my money on something that does not fit me or that has a defect or flaw. All serious stores have great return policies and it's a part of business, there's no getting out of it. You have to be conscious and only return what's really necessary... some people will take too much advantage of these policies and the stores suffer with that.