I learned a lesson

Discussion in Home & Garden started by footballtim • Aug 22, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    If you think you can save money by not cleaning your carpet, think again. The longer you wait to clean your carpet, the more costly it will be to clean it. Here is a tip for all renters who have carpeting. If you think your landlord will simply charge you a flat rate for carpet cleaning after you move out, you will be mistaken in a lot of cases. My landlord's flat rate was $150, but he charged me about $240. The reason was because I never had the carpet cleaned in the three years I lived there. I would just spot clean it when needed.:(

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for that tip. I have been meaning to have our carpets cleaned for such a long time now but have always put it off till another day. After reading your post "another day" has now arrived.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    This is one of those things that you can classify as 'false economy,' whether you're renting or own your own home. A carpet that is kept clean will last many more years than a dirty carpet that only sees the vacuum cleaner occasionally. You don't need to go to the expense of having it professionally cleaned - you can hire a carpet cleaner for a day or a weekend and do all the carpets in the house.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That is good to know because I am sure a lot of people are not aware of this. I sure didn't know it. We do own our own carpet cleaner machine and we usually clean them several times a year. I am glad to know that this will help to extend the life of the carpeting!

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the tip. I also thought that landlords had a set rate that they charged for carpet cleaning and painting. Before I've moved out of places, I've always been careful to patch up the nail holes and touch up the paint, but I never thought about the floors. I guess that's why I've never gotten an entire security deposit back.

6. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    If you had a good landlord he or she should be changing the carpeting every 2 years. If you lived there for 3 years does the landlord expect the carpet to be in immaculate condition? Anyway, carpet cleaning is not too expensive, I would hire a service and keep up with it thanks to your warning. I however do not like or have wall to wall carpeting because I am allergic to dust and carpets just gather so much of it.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    How big is the carpet anyway?
    I also believe its the obligation of the landlord to simply do have the initiative to remind you about how often the carpet must be cleaned. I have rented here in our apartment for 9 years now and our landlord checks everything from time to time including roof holes so she calls us sometimes when it rains hard.

8. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    Landlord tenant laws vary by state. You can avoid costly stain removal by not using commercial spot and stain removers. They contain waxes that actually work to attract more dirt in hopes you will use more product to remove the stain created by the product!

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow, just how dirty was it? So long as you regularly vacuumed and "spot cleaned" as you said, then I can't imagine it needing THAT MUCH more cleaning. I suppose it really does add up, though, so you're better off cleaning it a bit more regularly.

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I just wondered if you didn't have issues with dust mites and stuff if you never had your carpet cleaned in three years. I usually have mine done professionally every six months that is over the regular vacuuming since I have children and pets in the house.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's not cool :(. Thanks for the tip, at least, definitely something I wouldn't likely have thought of.

12. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Ew!!!!!! How could you have not cleaned the carpet in all of that time? I can't even think about it! Vacuuming is not cleaning; no wonder your landlord charged so much! After all that time, the carpet probably needed to be replaced! I hate carpet to begin with, but yikes!

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I usually rent a cleaner and clean my carpet at least once a year