I Make My Own Shampoo To Save Money

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Jasmine2015 • Aug 9, 2016.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    For the past few months, I have been making my own shampoo. I buy a small tube of raw African black soap for about $5 and some peppermint oil. I mix this up in a small container which is like a 2 oz, add some water to dissolve the soap, and I'm done. It'll be months before I use up the small tub of soap. I also don't have to worry about unwanted stuff like parabens, sulfates, or any other chemicals.

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am always a fan of different ways to save some money, but I have to say that I have not taken this far yet. Now that I think more about it, though, I say why not, and so for that thanks for sharing. I might have to use up what I have, which is about ten bottled because I did the whole buy in bulk when it is on sale thing, but after that I might look into it. Thanks again.

3. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I am also a person how love to save money but i usually don't want to do experiments with my hairs as i love my hairs and don't want to have any experiments with my hairs so please share more so i could think about to try this.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have long hair so I go through shampoo quite fast. I do think it's great to have natural shampoo, but these days if it is only to save money there are good shampoos that are quite cheap.

Baby shampoo which is a generic store brand is about 20p here in the UK, and even in Aldi I have used the raspberry shampoo which is 35p for 400ml. I've used it and it's fine and is pleasant to use. When shampoo is that cheap, you don't need to make it and is great to take on holiday.

5. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have made shampoo and soap from soap nuts, however, I have never heard about African Black soap. Soap nuts is a fruit from a plant with foams when rubbed with water. I have also made soap and shampoo from the mustard powder. There are many benefits of using homemade shampoo, for instance it is chemical free and saves money.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have shoulder length hair, so I don't consume much shampoo. The shampoo that I buy costs around $4, so it's not that expensive. I think I would save even more money if I buy those really big containers.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I refuse to spend a lot on my shampoo and conditioner. I always get stuff on sale and for pretty cheap prices. That said, I don't think I would make my own to save money, since I already spend so little without having the effort to make my own.
    If I had the time and was crafty, maybe I would try, though!

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Never made shampoo before. How good are the results? I want to try it out one day. The african black soap (anago soap, alata simena, and dudu-osun), has long been used to heal skin issues. It's good for thinning fine lines, evening out dark spots, eczema, razor bumps and eliminating blemishes.

It is also used to lightly exfoliate and give you healthier looking skin. The soap can be used on hair and works for oily skin, dry skin, skin rashes, scalp irritations, body odors and is good for sensitive skin.

9. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, is it called a soap nut? When I was living in the countryside, there's a plant which has roots which can be used as a shampoo. I doubt that's what you call soap nuts. The villagers pound the root to get the soapy ingredient out. It's mainly used fresh. I don't remember anyone making bottles of the stuff to keep.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that sounds fantastic, @jasmine2015! I like the fact that it's free of all the nasties that are now found in most products these days. However, I have no access to stuff like that here, so sourcing them would be a major hassle, for starters. I've heard about the African black Soap, but have yet to set eyes on it. Then there's the fact that I just don't have much time to spare for all that LOL I tend to look out for organic hair products with the least amount of chemicals that come with an affordable price tag and that works nicely for me :)

11. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I use to make my one shampoo but I stopped because I found a type I like for pretty cheap, I probably spend a dollar every two months, I don't wash my hair a lot though only about 2 times a week sometimes 3.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of the brand shampoos always have something missing, I have found. I really do feel like it is best to make your own so that not only is your hair getting all of the minerals that it needs, but so that you can save money too. I do my own shampoo using a litany of different natural organic substances.

13. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I might give this a try. I always keep peppermint oil in the house and I've actually used African black soap before, and I was really impressed with it. Thanks for sharing this info.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen African black soap sold by the bar but not in a tube. Shampoo is not terribly expensive so it is not one of the products I skimp on that much, but I agree, I think commercial shampoo tends to dry your hair out so organic means might be the way to go there. I would be wondering about the money saving aspects though.

15. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Thats awesome. I would love to give this a try. We spend quite a bit on shampoo, since we also have three daughters, with long hair. Does it dry your hair out at all? Does it leave it oily?

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you mean to say that homemade shampoo is just that black soap and peppermint oil? I have been buying that black soap for some years now because it was prescribed to me to arrest my falling hair. And I find it effective so I continue using it. If I am reading your recipe correctly then all I need is peppermint oil. Am I right on this? Maybe I can make my own shampoo like what you do. Thanks for this tip.

17. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    STINGING NETTLE NATURAL HOMEMADE SHAMPOO FOR HAIR GROWTH -
    Ingredients:
    Organic Nettle Shampoo (500ml)
    1-2 Table Spoons Panthenol Solution
    Stinging Nettle Extract (25ml)
    2-3 Vials Vitamin B Complex
    Castor Oil (50ml)
    Combine the ingredients together and store in a glass jar to avoid interaction with the herbs. Use this shampoo to improve the condition of your hair and prevent thinning. First results (new growth) should be visible after about a month and you should continue to use it over the course of next 3-4 months. Due to the properties of Panthenol (which acts as a natural silicone, coating the hair shaft making it feel stiffer than usual), a clarifying treatment might be a good one to throw in once in a while or, you can choose not to add Panthenol at all and apply it separately instead to roots only (which will reduce oiliness).

18. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really spend much on shampoo anyway buy it would be nice to make my own if I was sure it would be a healthy alternative. For this I will have to make some research and make sure it won't be harmful for my hair.

19. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Quite impressive!! Thanks for sharing.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know how to make homemade shampoo but due to shortage of time I am unable to do that. Actually the homemade shampoo is not a difficult task because soap nut based homemade shampoo with other ingredients like dried Indian gooseberry etc are being used for ages in our area but the time to prepare it is the main deterring factor.