I Mcdonalds going downhill?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Cyclone3616 • Oct 15, 2012.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Here's the deal with fast food places. They all aren't the same. Even chains. There are different cooks in every kitchen. The gal or guy who cooked you that awesome big mac at Mcdonalds near where you live? Aren't the same folks who cooked you that not-so-great big mac you bought at the Mcdonalds near your girlfriends house. They follow the same recipe, but if the cooks are incompetent or over-worked, the sandwich will come out burnt, bland, or what have you. Now Subway is the only place where this sort of thing won't happen. Because you're mostly getting un-cooked cold cuts on a sandwich.

2. BrianDouglas

BrianDouglasNew Member

Threads:
    I think that the quality of other food has driven upward, and in turn, our palettes don't enjoy that set of flavors as much. McD's has been going downhill in other ways for 20 years :p

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I would honestly have to wonder where you are buying. Down here the fries have gotten so big I actually thought they'd given me the wrong order at one time or another. I mean the small are the size of a medium, the medium is a large, etc. As far as the burgers go... they are no smaller or larger then Wendy's or Burger Kings. So I don't know. Maybe it's your location or perhaps it's your perspective?

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The quality of the food has dropped. I remember the days when they used tallow to deep-fry their fries. They now use some ghastly industrial oil like vegetable oil or sunflower oil under the illusion it is healthier for us. I would start buying the fries again if they returned to tallow.

5. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I agree it depends on the McDonalds. Even more I think it depends on who is working at the McDonalds. I've had good and bad experiences at the same restaurant. There food is ok. I think you get what you pay for when it comes to that. This time of year I do like their peppermint mochas. I think those are a good value and usually prepared well.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think so they have really good prices and i love their fries in my opinion they have the best fries ever! And i love their big mac and it's cheap i can go and get my family all meals and only spend like 20 bucks any where else is a lot more expensive. So i don't think they are going down hill.

7. HDHarper

HDHarperNew Member

Threads:
    I am not surprised. This is what most Americans do not know unless they have traveled to another country. McDonald's food in other countries is just plain better. Maybe food quality laws are more strict outside the U.S. When I was over in Europe you could get a double Big Mac, and the beef quality was absolutely superior. Also, the bun was definitely bigger and of higher quality. You could also get your apple pie ala mode with caramel sauce.

8. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think now is the time that McDonald's is getting downhill. THey are pretty steady in my opinion and I didn't notice their fries and burgers to be going down in quality. I still love the fast food and I would pick them over majority of the other fast foods today.

9. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Even Chili's, Applebees, Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, and TGI Friday's.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Not at all. McDonald's is a multinational company, and I don't see it going out of business even in the next 50 years. Each and every one of us has probably eaten there at least once.

11. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    That's just called getting older. Don't you remember when you were a kid and your parents preferred to eat anywhere BUT McDonalds? Most adults aren't huge McDonalds fans. I, on the other hand still LOVE McDonalds.

12. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    My mom is like that with fast food in general. You have to have a certain stomach for fast food. As you get older, things change in there. So whereas 18 to 35's can down a whopper/big mac, and fries or onions rings. And slurp it down with a coke. 40 and ups would have stomach cramps after eating there and have to hit the bathroom time they got home.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, different fast food places, even if they have the same name, are not at all equal. Like you said, a lot of the food quality depends on the people cooking the food, and as I have found out in the case of McDonald's, where the place is located.

I used to work in a certain neighborhood, trendy, laid-back, hippy-ish. The people who work in this particular McDonald's do NOT wear gloves. Sometimes people who are standing in line comment about it, "I don't want you touching my food."
    Well, good luck with that, especially in this particular McDonald's, where gloves are not mandatory.

Cut to about 35 miles down the highway, where I was living at the time. This particular McDonald's is situated in a high-end type of mall (Gucci, Cartier, Louis Vuitton etc.), right next door to one of the worlds most expensive, exclusive universities. In this McDonald's, everyone wears gloves. They are not allowed to touch the food. I'm sure this makes for a taste difference in food, as you are not getting the taste from the sweat glands from other people's hands mixed in with your Big Mac.

Also depends on quality control. One can tell when they go into the McDonald's close to the place where I worked, that they are not held to the same high standard as the McDonald's that is located right next door to [Ivy League University]. And I have to be honest, I feel better eating at the McDonald's where the people wear gloves. I don't like people touching my food, whether it is at a McDonald's or in my own kitchen.

As far as Subway goes, uughhh!! Sometimes when I walk in the door of a Subway, I almost turn around. It seems to me like every Subway place has a certain smell to it. My son likes their sandwiches though, so we buy there from time to time. And I must admit, some of their sandwiches taste pretty good.

#33Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  14. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    It's not that Mcdonalds' is going downhill. It's that people are becoming more and more health aware. But even with that, they have so many people hooked on their food that when one person stops eating it, like three others take the person's place.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah I think people are becoming more aware that McDonald's is not good for their bodies. I think the scariest part is where you see blogs of Happy Meals that don't decay for months. Their food is full of preservatives. Frankenfoods! Have you smelled their sliced apples? Yuck. They smell like cleaning products.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    McDonalds has certainly fallen down the pecking order for me, my local chicken shop is my first port of call but if I am in another part of the country then I will try Burger King or even KFC long before I'll try McDonalds. The chips are too skinny and the meat in the burger gets smaller every time.

17. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't surprise me , with the service they have been giving here where I live and quality of the food,, it's no wonder.Most of the workers are very rude or just don't care and offer no kind of customer service, with the exception of a few, their customer service is in great need of improvement. More then once I have went to mcdonalds to buy stuff for my kids and they take forever, and they throw the food in the bad and all the fries were all dumped into the bag. They are sometimes sitting up at the drive thru arguing about who knows what and has gone as far as too ask me to wait while they are on the cell phone. So It doesn't surprise me at all.

18. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

The drive-thru is complicated though. They're in such a rush to take the next customer that you get terrible service there. Walk-in is best.

Their Angus burgers are pretty big though. Their mcdoubles are as well. I think their portions are smaller than burger king because their burgers are fried, not flamed-broiled. A flame-broiled pattie requires more meat.

LOL! I remember someone saying they had a big mac that never decayed for like 2 years. I was shocked and amazed. But also a little bit disturbed. Anyways, I don't like big macs, the sauce tastes nasty so I guess it was a good thing for me?

Subway has a lot of different meats lying around so that's what you're smelling. You also have to remember they have Salami, cooked meat, and meatball marinara as well. The more sandwiches they offer, the more different kind of meats and toppings will be lying around. As for your Mickey D's experience....EVERY MCdonald's restaurant employee should be wearing gloves when preparing food! I don't care if the place is located on the moon!

19. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    MacDonalds isn't going anywhere. It does seem that a lot of adults have stopped eating there but then a new generation of kids grow up and start eating there. Plus MacDonalds have made efforts to include healthy food items in their menu, that has also helped them to retain a lot of their customers. MacDonalds is known for its business acumen so I don't think it is going downhill.

20. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    In quantity versus price, McDonald's is doing very well in that aspect. They always have and I expect, always will. But the quality of their food, especially in the Philadelphia area, is gruesome. I have visited McDonald's twice in the past month, and one of my burgers tasted like bleach, my fries were soggy and oily, and my sweet tea tasted like the tea bag had been left in the water too long. This all has t o do with the quality of employees hired to do the job. Sadly,I hardly enjoy McDonald's anymore. I much rather Charlie's Cheesesteaks or Chick Filet.