I might be addicted to Gadgets

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Zyni • Oct 3, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love gadgets of all kinds. Gizmos, whatchamacallits, thingydings, whatever you want to call them, I just love Neat little tools that are supposed to make life easier or more fun. Kitchen gadgets are pretty cool, and there are tons of them. There is pretty much a specific kind of slicer for everything. You've got your egg slicer, olive slicer, banana slicer, cheese slicer, Apple slicer... and then there's the apple corer. I don't collect them all, but I love looking through all the gadgets. I have to splurge on one every once in a while. Are you a gadget person?

2. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    Oh yes! I'm just like a crow, anything bright and shiny. I'm getting fussy though, now it has to be digital or I don't want it. My latest gadget is a dash-cam for the car. I bought it on line from a Hong Kong retailer and it works just fine but I seem to be having operator trouble, I forgot to turn on the record feature so when we were in a near accident recently, I didn't get the offending trucker recorded. I hope I've got it recording now.

I'm also a tool nut in that I like to have the latest most arcane tools for my little shop. Last year I bought a 6" digital caliper because, well, it's digital.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really consider myself a gadget person. I admire the new ones that are coming out every now and then, but I don't really have the impulse to buy them. The phone that I have now is the one I bough about three years ago. I have a tablet, but I am not compelled to upgrade it.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a tendency to collect headphones and earphones just to compare their sound. I also like collecting those phones that were released just before the touch screen era became popular. I hate touch screen phones really, it's so time consuming to type! I only use it for browsing. I actually now intend to repair my old phones just by looking at some Youtube tutorials. If I had the money I would probably buy other electronic items.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely, that's why I try to limit the habit to just reading about them. If I bought everything that caught my fancy, I would be beyond broke. I'd also refuse to sell them as there would be some sentimental value to them that would make it "impossible."

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not, but I guess I could be if I had enough money to purchase a lot. I enjoy watching and learning about different gadgets and appliances, sort of like some people's habits of watching home shopping network shows and eventually giving in and buying them. I'm able to control myself, though, mostly because I have not much choice. As of now I just have the essentials like laptops and phones, tablets, etc. but I'm hoping that I could splurge a bit more soon and get myself other interesting items.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe, but I 'camouflage' my addictions by blaming them on humans' biology :D

If I'm addicted to gadgets, it's the same way I'm addicted to Match-3 games (where you switch two tiles to make rows of at-least 3 of the same shape/color, and the matched-tiles then disappear, and the rest of the tiles fall to replace them ... sometimes making new matches) or collapsing rows of dominoes or fireworks-displays or other sequences-of-destruction/resurrection ... watching things 'fall right into happy peace' gives me a little dopamine rush (a chemical your brain creates to tell you "Good Job, My Faithful Servant!" ;))

I see each gadget as the next evolution of "tool." We started with the wedge/ramp, which made 'elevating things' easier. So it's a natural addiction---like greed.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very much a techno geek..learned how to use a computer as early as kindergarten or first grade. There was a period of time where I didn't have one at home but I always had some kind of electronic device (for that period of time I just had my video games). I wouldn't call it an addiction though just an obsession. If I'm not making money, I'm using my phone mainly to listen to music. I'm one of those people who need to be engaged constantly and it's hard to get much engagement in a boring town while unemployed.

#8Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a gadget person but I'm definitely not a fan of buying lots of gadgets for different purposes. I believe that I only need one or two gadgets, and that's my smartphone and my laptop. I do cook food but I'm still using traditional equipment.

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Thinking about it without thinking about addiction (I'm addicted to 'thinking about things' :confused:), I see that it's important to remember that gadgets are 'for added convenience.' Because 'forgetting that you could do without them' is a kind of 'disability'---sometimes I forget my phone and leave it at home when I'm on my way to the store (about-an-hour's walk away). If I remember it anytime-after I make it past the end of my street, I'll go the rest of the way without it. If someone needs me, they'll either wait or go and find me.

11. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well I wouldn't exactly say I'm a complete gadget freak but when I stumble across an item that I feel is just genius, I invest my money and buy it. It's like that feeling when you stumble into the store and that gizmo/gadget just completely stands out! I can't explain the feeling but I'm sure that you've all experienced it. As you walk by all the things that seem useless, the coolest thing just pops up. Most of the time it's an awesome gadget that performs something really cool or it's something that has a nice build or design to it :D.

But I'm not necessarily a gizmo collector so the gadget has have to have some sort of use to me or I wouldn't bother buying it. It's gotta be cool and useful.

12. purplepaint

purplepaintNew Member

Threads:
    I sometimes spend hours online searching for cool gadgets :rolleyes: Luckily, usually I'm content to just read all about them. Sometimes I find something really interesting, and kind of want to buy it, but then I just remind myself that if I buy that, I'll just start buying everything interesting I see and I would be beyond broke soon.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love researching new gadgets. I am especially amazed by Japanese kitchen gadgets. They have every little thing for your kitchen needs. We have a garlic peeler lol but none of the others you have mentioned but they all sound convenient! I tend to buy only the necessary gadgets that we need. I have an iphone and an ipad. My old tablet is tucked away in the cabinet. I think I have not bought any new gadget for a while now as they can be quite expensive.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the complete opposite. I don't have much use for gadgets. I am a practical and down-to-earth person who is happy wit an ordinary set of tools for my daily needs. I especially steer away from electronic gadgets, as I easily get tired from electronic radiation. I work up to 8 hours every day with my laptop, tablet and smartphone, and at the end of the day, I wouldn't want to have to touch any more electronic devices just for recreational purposes, or for things that should allegedly be saving me time.

15. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Right on, Sister!

Heck! I'm sure that--with the right network-adapter-plugs and compatibility-software--I'd be just-fine if the only computer I had was an ATARI 130XE or a COMMODORE 64, and the only telephone I had was a

!

It's all just 'blips on the radar' sending a more-direct sonar-blast to many other (select or random) 'blips on the radar!'

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I do love gadgets, the problem is i don't have alot of funds to indulge my tech loving self so i try to tone down my appreciation to technology so i won't be tempted to empty my bank account. lol Technology nowadays is very advanced and really fascinating. :p

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    But aren't you interested in gadgets that can help you find deals? that can save you time searching for bargains? It may take a bite out of your bank-account (if you don't want to take on the humility of asking for hand-outs from friends-&-family) at first, but not if you think of every little moment you save- and every little discount you find-as a growth of your Return-On-Investment!

18. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    I would have to say I am, It's part of my job but I practically never get off gadgets from when I go to sleep to when I wake up. I fall asleep listening to podcasts. I wake up watching youtube videos. But hey I also make a living off of my technical know how and I wouldn't have that knowledge without being a tech junkie in the first place.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We once had a housemaid who is definitely addicted to her phone. She would say that take away anything and everything except her phone because she wouldn't survive without it. In fairness, that phone is her main communication line to her family. And during breaks or at bedtime, she uses her phone for playing video games that sometimes it takes her until dawn.