I phone 5s expensive much?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by RazKnows • Oct 26, 2013.

1. RazKnows

RazKnowsNew Member

Threads:
    grey_iphone5s.

Ok so I used to be a Apple guy with having the I pod touch and the I phone 3s but that was when things were more affordable. Why are apple products becoming much more expensive than before. It seems like it's increasing by a $50-100 every year. The new I phone 5s can cost anywhere from $600-1000 depending on the storage you want on it. Add another $100 to that every month for phone service and that's $1200 just to use the phone. Nearly $2000 on a phone a year, that's just crazy and not realistic to our economic needs.

2. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    This is so true. I have seen these new Apple products increased in value every year since they have then launched. I assigned its utterly ridiculous that anyone would pay this much money for a phone. I think yes if you have this kind of elastic income of $2000 to pay for a luxury citizen cell phone and an apple cell phone per year than go for it. But I prefer that the Android phone. Sure, these can get quite expensive also I suppose. I tried to keep mine within $300.

3. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I actually used to sell phones and no, the iphone has NOT become more expensive per year. The original iphone was 500 at launch, WITH a contract. Every iphone since then has started at 199 WITH contract, 649 without for the 16 gb model and gone up from there. After the next gen gets released, apple will usually release an 8gig model and price it cheaper. but no, the price of iphones is not increasing.

Apple products have always been expensive. theyre well built even if theyre a little over hyped. people buy them mainly because theyre a symbol, almost like buying a lexus over a toyota.

4. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fan of upgrading my phone just because a new model has come out. As a matter of fact, I still have a 4...Siri wasn't enough of an upgrade for me. Neither was a slimmer, larger display and a few niceties with the processor and camera. I also didn't think that I needed a new color for my cover or a thumbprint lock code. Maybe the iPhone 6 will offer some really cool reasons to upgrade. I never upgrade with the mid season roll outs, but even the actual new device rollouts have been rather disappointing.

5. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I simply see no point in buying the iPhone nowadays beyond the Apple brand name. I mean the Samsung android phones have similar features, are more durable and are much cheaper than iPhones. Why waste your money on them?

6. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    I think it's unfair that people in the UK have to pay more for the iPhone than people in the US, just like with all the apple products :/ it's so annoying
    For example:

In the UK the iPhone costs (16GB) £549 which is around $883
    In the US the iPhone costs (16GB) $199 which is around £123!

OH MY GOD!!
    :O I'm actually in shock at how expensive it is!!! Do you think it would make any difference getting mine from the US?

7. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    That is really a huge price difference.

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm getting so disillusioned with Apple.

Seriously.

I'm so tired of the constant upgrades, the issues, and the price. You'd think if they are making a product that costs $400-$500, it would last at least 5 years. I hate that apps no longer run after a certain point on older models, and that it slows down so much you pretty much have to upgrade.

It is such a snobby brand, and though it is currently the best option, if someone was to figure out a way to do it better and cheaper, I'd be happy to switch.

9. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that Apple is exploiting their brand a little bit too much at the customers expense. I know that Apple is a popular and distinct brand which is known and respected the world over, but some of their products are just too expensive. But I know that Apple also released their iPhone 5c, which is more economical than the iPhone 5s. However, with competitors like Samsung, I guess this was not enough of an effort by Apple to reach a broader cross section of consumers because although Apple sold a lot of iPhones, their profit margins were still not very good.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apple have always had overpriced products like their laptops and phones, they're like the designer brand in gadgets. I simply see the whole Apple brand as a status symbol that's not really practical for the average working class. It's better to buy other brands like Samsung or Sony rather than Apple.

11. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    Every new device on the market will also be expensive in price. I think the only way to absolutely get a deal on a phone is by getting the phone with a contract. Getting a contract with a phone will ensure you get a good price, and you will get your money's worth. That is how I first got my iPhone 4S, the first time around.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    iOS is a big draw. Android still doesn't have that much developer support, even if they are trying and it's growing. I think piracy is also an issue - or at least was. The amount of pirated software on Android was way too much when I last checked (admittedly, that's already some years back), so much that the devs just gave up and went back to iOS.

13. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    Another issue, they say the iPhone C is the budget version of the iPhone but if you can afford to pay £469 for a phone, then you can definitely afford the extra £80 to get the iPhone 5S. So a budget phone is £469 ($752)! yes, very cheap. Eurgh, I do feel like they are starting to lag behind now. I feel like the need to do something completely different next year. It's so annoying that brits have to pay out way more aswell. Like I know people in the US think they are expensive but look at how much we have to pay for them!

14. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    You just have to wait until your upgrade time to get the cheaper type. Phone companies buy the phones from Apple, Samsung, etc. at a higher price than they sell them at. They are able to take a loss on the phones because they make their money back on the 2 year contracts.

15. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately people will pay this price so Apple will keep charging it. The technology is great, but they certainly are pushing it in terms of pricing.

16. Inconsitency

InconsitencyNew Member

Threads:
    I have grown to dislike Apple a lot. Their overpriced products and hyped up marketing is just disgusting to see. More people are changing to Apple's competitors, such as Samsung, as Samsung offers much more. Samsung changes their products a lot between every generation (eg. Samsung S2 to the Samsung S3), while you can see that there is less difference between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. I'd much rather get the Samsung S4 over the iPhone 5, as the screen size is larger and there are much more useful and interesting features over the iPhone. Overpriced and lacking change, iPhones are slowly dropping from their throne of glory.

17. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    I feel like apple's technology is actually starting to fall behind too. You can get an iPhone and it can be barely working the next year. Where as if you were to buy a htc or samsung for a little bit cheaper, it would last for years! (like they should)

18. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Doesn't matter how expensive it is, people will still buy it. Even factoring in inflation the price for the iPhone 5S and even 5C is pretty ridiculous especially when Android phones have much better specs a few hundred dollars less but that's just my 2c.

19. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    it just bugs me! ahhh, haha. i hate it when people are on benefits too and say they don't have enough money to travel to a job but yet they can afford the new iphone, just typical isn't it..

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people obviously have a lot of money to waste. I see it as a waste because I am sure that owning an iPhone wouldn't enhance my life at all. I can think of much more important things to spend my money on. These 'needs' are created, no one actually needs an iPhone, us humans existed fine without them not so long ago.