I Want To Buy My Fiancé A Laptop, What Should I Buy?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by isabbbela • Jun 21, 2016.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I own an Asus I3 laptop, 11 inch touchscreen and it's pretty simple, and it was not expensive at all. But as I'm not a gamer or don't demand a lot out of my computer, it is perfect for me. My fiancé is not a heavy gamer, but he will play occasionally. So I would think an i5 or i7 with dedicated ram memory, right? Which are the better brands, and what should I have in mind in terms of processor, memory and things like that?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My laptop is an HP so I would suggest that brand because I find it good for more than 2 years of my use. It is the official issue of our office. I believe that gaming requires a faster processor so I think you have to settle for at least an i5 plus a bigger memory of about 4gb. The tech in our office said that the SSD is a better storage than an HDD in terms of speed since the SSD (solid state drive) which is a clone of USB has no moving parts unlike the HDD (hard disk drive). However, the SSD is more expensive for now.

If HP looks expensive to you, perhaps and Acer will do for the brand.

3. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    I think the kind of laptop you should get definitely depends a lot on your budget. I used to own Dells for a long time, and they aren't bad, but they seem to slow down very quickly. If I had to suggest a laptop for someone who is going to be using it a lot, I'd say get a MacBook. I have the MacBook Pro Air 13" display (or something like that, I can never remember the full title) and it is phenomenal! I could never have afforded it (I'm still in high school and my parents aren't made of money), but my school gave it to me as part of my financial aid. I can't tell how useful it's been, and even after a year of constant use, it hasn't slowed down in the slightest bit. Once you go Mac, you never go back...

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should ask your boyfriend what kind of laptop he'd like for it is for him and people like what they like for laptops. It's so nice of you to get your boyfriend a laptop and to make him the happiest person you can get his input and do it together so it's something you do together and something you know he'll love since he choose it for himself.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Does he need a DVD drive? Some of the newer laptops don't have that anymore. I was quite surprised that they are phasing out optical drives for laptops. Just wondering and asking because he might need it if he needs to burn DVDs and stuff like that. Most people don't have to, but I know some people in the entertainment industry need it.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have heard that acer and Asus brands are the best in the mid range laptop market. I'm planning on buying a new laptop soon myself and have fairly similar requirements because I don't play that many video games but I do plan on using a bit of professional software on it as well as maybe get to play on it as well once in a while and mostly I'm looking at the details concerning ram and video as well as the maximum speed of the processor and along those lines I'm hoping to get to buy a laptop at around $350.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    This depends on your fiance's requirements. What will he be doing on the laptop: gaming,surfing the net, watching movies, or working (designing, programming, writing)? What kind of laptop you need to buy depends on what you are doing on it. Since you mention gaming,I think HP and Dell are good brand. A gaming laptop also need better battery back up, you should look at this feature as well.

8. bomb2060

bomb2060Member

Threads:
    No offence but such a question will elicit a personal discussion. What I mean is, if you want to buy someone a gift, you should make sure you don't make a mistake of buying something that she will not like. Or worse still, buy something that she can't keep

To answer you, I would start by asking what is she currently using? If she has one, what is the color? What are her daily activities? Does she carry the laptop around? In her handbag?

After you answer those questions, now we go to the next, if it's pink sleek design, it will meet you will have to buy a pink cover since makers don't design pink laptops.

If she wants class, and likes to show off. Plan for an Apple Macbooks.

If she doesn't mind style we can now start selections from the wide range of HPS, Dell, Acer and Sony Iwo.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I were you, I would go for a branded laptop like Acer or HP. Those brands are time tested and they provide good after sales support. But if you have lots of money to spend for your fiance then you can go for a Mac. It would be a great gift because he will be proud of a Mac which has class. However, it still depends on your lifestyle. For a simple guy, I guess a Mac will not be appreciated.

10. Meeseeks

MeeseeksMember

Threads:
    It is definitely depends on what kind of user your fiancé is. You can buy a premium one if he needs it for work and uses it for hard task such as gaming and what not.