Ibs Management

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Clairelouise84 • May 7, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I suffer with IBS and it is getting very painful at the moment, but the trouble is, the meds I take (buscopan) are good, but so expensive and don't last long at all. Is there a way to help manage it on the cheap because I can't really stand much more. I have been to the doctor and they told me to avoid all the foods under the sun, so I do and other than that they only prescribe the same thing! Anything I can to to manage it that won't cost the earth?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried looking into perhaps making some home made teas out of herbs and spices? I believe making tea out of Coriander seeds, cloves, cilantro leaves and other ingredients have been shown to help with things such as inflammation and upset stomachs.

Granted, herbs and spices can be expensive too, if you're buying them in little bottles at your grocery store - but if find some that are working for you, then hunt down your nearest middle eastern specialty grocer - many of them sell large bags of various spices at dirt cheap prices. For example I picked up a large bag of coriander seeds, as well as a large bag of chili powder, both for only $2.99 each. These were at least 1lb bags, if not more. It would have cost me more than $2.99 to even buy a small bottle of either from my grocery store.

Also, have you ruled out if it may be caused by stress too? I went through a bad bout of persistent upset stomach and constant trips to the bathroom when I had started a new job several years ago at a large company - I was really nervous about getting settled in for the first couple months.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Do you drink coffee, tea, soda or anything else aside from water? Try stopping. Those can be very acidic and can be triggering your IBS more. Just drink water - warm water for that matter. Also, every morning after breakfast, eat a cup of yogurt. This will help your tummy.

4. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    Peppermint tea or peppermint sweets can help cool down the irritation that causes IBS. Try some everyday for a week and you should see a difference. Pure coconut oil is also good for soothing the gut but it can be expensive.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Aloe Vera Juice to help with my digestive issues. I have found that a 1/2 cup of juice aday will keep my stomach from causing me to be uncomfortable when I have eaten something that makes my stomach unhappy, like milk or ice cream. Aloe Vera juice can be mixed with orange juice or cranberry juice to help with the taste.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best advice that I can give you, at this point in my own IBS management journey, is diet. But then you will already be aware of the fact that diet is the key to living a relatively IBS free life. Water is magic, especially warm or hot water. It does absolute wonders. As soon as you wake up in the morning, make sure you drink a glass of hot or warm water on an empty stomach. Toothpaste still has chemicals in it, so drink the water prior to brushing your teeth. Google the benefits of doing this, and it is especially suggested for those who have IBS.