If milk is on sale, get a little extra and freeze it!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ragtimeannie • Sep 22, 2014.

1. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Did you know you can freeze milk? You can!

Here are a few things to know before you do it:

-- Milk, like other liquids, expands when you freeze it, so either freeze it in another container or take a little out before you stick it in the freezer. If you take out about 2 cups from a gallon size container, that will give it plenty of room for expansion.
    -- Frozen milk may have a slightly different texture and taste because of fat separation. If you're planning to buy milk to freeze, your best bet is to buy milk that has 2 percent fat or less. Whole milk doesn't hold up to freezing and thawing as well. Less fat in your milk means less fat to separate.
    -- Your milk may take on a slightly yellow color when frozen. Again, that's the fat. Don't let that bother you. It will go away once you thaw the milk and shake it up.
    -- Frozen milk may be kept in the freezer for 2 months. When it's time to thaw, take it out a full day ahead of time and put it in the fridge. Shake it well before you drink it.

Hope this helps! :D

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing that tip, I will try to do that later just to test how it will taste like. Fresh milk always gets consumed way before it's expiration date over here, so it never gets to the point that it gets wasted or needs preserving.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Eh, I think I'll pass on this tip. I generally don't like to mess with expiration dates, especially with things like Milk. While it may actually work and can save milk last a lot longer, I'd rather just have fresh milk when I do buy it and not have to worry about drinking 2 month old milk from the freezer. Just a bit too out there for me as I don't think I'd trust the milk at all.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I definitely won't recommend it for drinking it straight after thawing or even using it in milk.

It is GREAT for baking, though. I used to buy it when it was on sale and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then, any time I needed some milk for a recipe, I could just thaw out a couple cubes and it'd be ready to go!

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think buying milk in such a fashion is very healthy. I agree that freezing the milk will not spoil the milk, however, that occurs only because of the preservatives and chemicals present in the milk. Drinking such a milk is already harmful, and freezing it and drinking sounds even more dangerous. If it was natural milk, I am sure that nothing could prevent it from going rancid.