If you could learn to play any musical instrument which would it be?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by H.C. Heartland • Jan 9, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There was a Groupon recently for $18.00 guitar lessons that are regularly $108.00. That makes it an 82% discount! It is for one year and can be accessed from your computer, tablet or mobile device. The name of the company is Bryan Billhimer. The Groupon site states: 'In his latest venture, Center Stage Guitar Academy, he's converted his knowledge into easy-to-follow, high-quality lesson videos designed to let students master the guitar at their own paces. Shot from multiple angles, the videos feature split-screen footage for ease of comprehension. With instruction broken down into over 300 lessons with new ones added each month, students can start with basic strumming and fingerpicking techniques, building up the motor skills and hand dexterity needed to tackle subsequent lessons in barre chords, 12-bar blues, and improvisation. Students are welcome to design their own lesson plans based around skill levels, techniques (including music theory), or genres of music, such as country, blues, rock, pop, and pop rock.'

What do you think? If you could have a similar deal for any instrument of your choice, which would you choose?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd probably choose the piano or keyboard, because I think they are classic instruments, and piano music is soothing to the ears.

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I've always thought it would be VERY cool to learn to play the harp or violin. They aren't really the most practical instruments, but I love the sounds they can make.

In terms of an instrument that would be useful to know, I'd probably pick either piano or guitar.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to learn how to play the drums, it's a great workout and a way to let off steam at the same time while you're creating great beats. However I feel that drums really work best in a band and am not a fan of drum solos at all. Finding a dedicated group of people to play with is pretty difficult outside of joining a music club/band.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have an Omnichord, which is kind of an electric autoharp, and I loved to play that. You strum the electronic keyboard just like you would an autoharp, or electric steel guitar, and it sounds almost like a harp playing. It is beautiful ! the Omnichord also has different sounds that you can choose from and also background rythyms just like a keyboard has. There are little chord buttons so that you can change chords.
    It is so simple that almost anyone can learn to play it, and since it can also work with a battery; it is perfect for using outside, or anywhere youdon't have an electric plug-in.

Here is a short video showing what an Omnichord is and what it sounds like.

#5Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  6. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    That sounds like a really incredible deal! I probably wouldn't have taken that offer because I usually just don't have the time and I wouldn't use it nearly as much as I would want to, but to anyone looking to learn an instrument it really does sound perfect! That would have been a really great Christmas present when the holidays were here a few weeks ago, and maybe for a birthday present! It depends on the person though.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Taking up to learn how to play an instrument isn't hard, it's maintaining a rhythm of practice that's difficult! I started playing my electric guitar during the winter season of 2013 and I have progressed to be able to play simple guitar chorded songs and sing the song too. One big misconception many people have about playing an instrument is that they believe it can be done overnight or with little effort, truth is, even professional players started when they were young and play their instruments for many hours. Practice makes better, but if one doesn't keep a routine and set their self in a musical environment [place or people], then it will be harder to attempt play, learn, and continue practicing a musical instrument.

My best advice,"Just do it!"

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'd probably go with the guitar because you can bring them anywhere and they're cheaper compared to other instruments. But I'm also thinking about the piano because it's really my first choice and would've gone with it, only if it weren't so darn expensive. I believe that it's easier to learn it because all you need to do is to train you hand reflexes which is easier compared to pressing down on guitar strings. I practiced the guitar before but I quit soon after because my hands hurt.

9. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    There are actually lots of guitar lessons online nowadays and you can even watxh youtube videos t which you can learn only the song uou want lol. anyway, if i have to learn an instrument is must be violin. I use to have a violin and it was given to me by my girlfriend when she thought I like to learn violin when I said I like to learn playing the instrument. unfortunately it seems to be too late to teach an old dog.

10. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Keyboard. Normally I'd choose piano, but pianos are kinda expensive, so...keyboard it'd be.

Now it wouldn't only rely on money, it'd also rely on time, which I do have, so cash is the only thing stopping me from learning to play keyboard.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've already learned most of the musical instruments that I do want to learn but if I had to pick another one as my next then it surely will be the piano because I've always wanted to learn it but unfortunately my parents never thought much of it as a recreational activity since they only mostly saw academics as the most important part of education. I just hope that it wouldn't be too difficult to learn as an adult.

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe it is really important to really love the instrument you are actually playing. That is possible only when you totally understand what you are learning. I totally would love to learn guitar. I believe it is a beautiful instruments.

13. Atlas_Hope

Atlas_HopeNew Member

Threads:
    I'd choose the drums hands down, piano being second although not sure if my fingers have the required dexterity for that. Drums can be really good for relieving stress and the rhythm required would require a lot of focus and help improve hand eye co-ordination which is why I would choose it. It would just feel so good to bash some drums in a quick session.

14. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I've grown up playing musical instruments. I started off playing piano, then guitar, then drums. But I still want to try something new. I know this isn't exactly an instrument, but it works with instruments. I want to try out DJ-ing. It seems pretty awesome when girls are DJ's, so I'd probably want to learn doing that if I had the chance to.

I like listening to simple remixes of songs, and the fact that I could make my own really excites me. My own creation, my own mix. That would be awesome.

15. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always wanted to learn how to play a saxophone when I was a kid. My parents knew that but since they didn't have a a lot of cash, they purchased a harmonica instead (which was much cheaper) in order to satisfy my wants. As time passed by, my interest moved to the Piano. We had a grand piano at the house and I had a blast playing it. In college, guitars were a hit with the girls so I studied months on how to play it. Now, I think I want to play the violin. It's a bit similar to the guitar so I think that I could learn to play it faster. :)

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know how to play a piano, and I really love the instrument that I wouldn't want to learn any other instrument else, just that. So, if I didn't get the chance to learn it earlier, it'd definitely that instrument that I would want to play. But if ever there'd be an opportunity exclusively given to me to learn to play an instrument, I wouldn't go crazy to waste that. I'd probably learn cello or flute, either of the two, because I really like their sounds, and they are perfect companies for piano.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to play the piano and the guitar at various points in my childhood all the way to my teenage years. I had to stop during my fourth year in university and when I started entering the labor force. I can hardly remember the pieces I played during my recitals. Even if it's too late in the game, I plan to end all the excuses and just relearn how to play both instruments especially piano. Other instruments I'm interested in playing are the violin (a real Strad at that!) and the koto (I may need to spend months in Kyoto to do that).

18. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Either bass guitar or sax. I love both instruments, sax is especially interesting, because you can use it in almost every genre and it still fits. No one is giving lessons in either, though, so I'm out of luck.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would choose the clarinet. I used to play when I was a kid, but I wasn't really good at it. A few years ago I signed up to take music lessons, but didn't follow through because of other commitments. I would jump at the chance to take real lessons again.

20. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely choose the guitar. I have been wanting to learn the guitar for over 20 years but it still hasn't happened. A deal like this would be fabulous!