If you had to give up one

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by addicted_buyer • Feb 25, 2013.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Let's say you're having a rough time with your finances and you had no option left rather than giving up either water, electricity or gas. Which one would you stop paying the bills for and why?

I think I'd go for gas; not that I don't need it, but I think both water and electricity are essential.

2. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Seems not hard to make the decision, i would give up gas of course. Life would not be changed much without gas.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I know there are ways to get around using gas if you have to. For example there are now electric stoves, there are also electric, tankless water heaters. So, if I had to choose between one of the three I would choose gas to get rid of in my home because I know there are ways that you can live without it if you have to. Yes, it would require changing some appliances in my home and no telling what that would do to my electric bill to compensate for this, but this is the one of the three listed that I feel I could live without if I had to choose one.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Jeez, I would give up gas. I could cook with electric appliances. Unfortunately, my stove runs on gas and I would really miss baking. But if I had to give up one, it would be gas.

5. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Of course like the others, I would give up gas. But we don't use gas in the house anyway. All our appliances (stove, heater/radiators, etc.) are all run by electric. :D

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree i'd go with gas

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Me too! You can't live without water, and as I earn my living from freelance writing, I couldn't work without electric, so it's no contest at all, really. All cutting out gas would mean was there was no hot water for showers, so I'd have to think about that. Maybe I'd get one of those solar camping showers and put it in the garden. Happily, we're not in the position where one of our utilities has to go, but thank you for making me think about the possibility - at least I have a game plan now!

8. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    Gas I think cos then nowadays you can use electric to keep you warm. So gas for me, wont doubt at all.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    As long as you have an electric stove, an electric water heater, and an electric heating system to keep you warm during the winter :p I have a water heater that runs on gas, so if I had to give it up, I'd be one step closer to hypothermia during the winter!

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I need water and my hot showers! I think I'd go with electricity. I would use candles at night. I don't really watch TV and probably could use rechargeable batteries to watch DVDs on my portable DVD player. I'd just charge them up every time I am at the library. Now that I think about it, I guess gas would be easier, but I hate washing my hands with cold water!

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting question because I've gone without electricity before during and in the aftermath of hurricanes. Because we have gas we are still able to cook when it happens, and this past year I charged the computer and phone in the car. The only things I had to go without were TV, air conditioning and the refrigerator. I have a handcrank flashlight with a built in radio (used to have batter TV pre-digital conversion) so I was still able to get news reports and even listen to music.

I think with a few adjustments (solar & biodiesel) I could easily get by without electricity, at least most of the time.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, it would be easier to give up gas, because you can always cook food using an electric stove or you can just easily buy cooked food outside. I think that everyone would agree that water and electricity are indispensable, so most people will just be willing to give up gas.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would give up gas ,even though I have a gas stove. I would just use my microwave and electric convection oven and maybe buy an electric skillet for things like pancakes that have to be cooked on a stove.
    I work part of the time online so I would take a hit to my income if I gave up electricity.
    Plus I would really miss loitering on Pinterest and pinning recipes. Yep, gas it is.

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    To everyone who decided to give up gas: would you really be taking the risk of getting sick during the winter for having to shower using freezing cold water? Unless you have an electric water heater (lucky you in that case), you'd have to find another methods to heat water and then use it for a bath/shower. What would you do?

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an electric water heater and live in Florida where it doesn't get that cold. If I didn't, I would be boiling water in a pot on the electric burner and dipping washcloths into the hot water to take a hobo bath. Of course I would have to dilute the boiled water so that I wouldn't get burned.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also live in an area that has gone days without electricity for days due to storms knocking out the power. Our house is all electric so it was not fun. My daughter's house has both gas and electric so we go to her house to shower and cook and then go back to our house to sleep. During the warm weather that is not a problem but in the winter it is impossible to live in the cold house with no type of utility on.

If I am in an all electric house as I am it would be gas. In a house that has both
    I would go for the electricity.

17. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Well I would definitely give up gas I need my water to bathe and my electricity to cook and wash clothing not to mention too see. And if you wanted to take a bath you could heat the water. And it doesn't get that cold where i stay in the south. Or if it does get cold you could buy a electric heater or fireplace.

18. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, same here. I feel that without the other two I would come in contact with huge problems in my life. Water is just essential for so many obvious reasons and without electricity life would just be unimaginable at this point.
    This is therefore a very easy decision to make in my opinion. I wouldn't even think twice about making it. God forbid if we all ever have to make this choice though!

19. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Gas! I need power to get online and I need water for my hot, relaxing, showers! I can go without gas. Whether it be in my house or if it is my car. In NYC, we have public transportation. So I'm good.

20. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I think gas also. Water is just too precious to give up. I'd keep electricity and buy an electric fire, an electric cooker and an electric water heater. Who needs gas! lol