If you have a kid, how do you save money on babysitting fees?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • May 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For parents with a 9-5 job, sometimes you need to chill out, forget the cares of parenting, etc. At such times [it could be a weekly habit] you'd need to hire a babysitter and pay her from $15-$25 depending on how long you intend to stay out.

How would you save money, if you were that kind of parent? Some opt to sacrifice going out until the kid is fully grown up and able to care of himself/herself.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Babysitting night swaps!!

Find a family in your area or that you're friends with and trade nights with them. One night, you take their kids for a few hours (or even overnight!) and the next time, they take yours. Yes, that makes one night potentially a little more hectic with more kids, but it could also make your night easier because all the kids can play together or watch movies together, etc. Then you get a night to yourself later in the week (or the following week), etc.

This saves both families money, but allows everyone some 'time off'.

3. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I know its not an option for everyone but when I was working I had family members watch my child, it was free and I didn't have to worry about her being with a complete stranger.

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I second the babysitting night swaps suggestion. If you don't have a friend with a child who is interested, advertise on craigslist. My daughter was the first child in my friend group so that helped us a lot. I met them in public first, checked for criminal backgrounds, visited their houses and had them at mine before leaving my daughter with them, just like a paid babysitter. Then I made the first few times short and gradually increased them to longer. A few of those moms and kids became genuine friends. I did it from the time my daughter was 3 until around age 10 or so when she started spending longer periods of time at friends' houses.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember my cousin being dropped off at our house everyday because his mom was working and his siblings were at school, so if you have a relative that lives near you, then you should just drop the kid at their place if the relative agrees and then pick them up when you get home.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the swapping suggestion. That worked great for us when our kids were younger. Another suggestion that is popular by me: a lot of the gyms and churches have what is called Kids Night Out or Parents Night Out that is usually only $15-$20. You bring your child to the gym/church and their staff keeps them busy with activities (from tumbling to dancing to games to crafts) and usually provides pizza for dinner. They are usually about 3 to 4 hours long and usually on Friday or Saturday nights, so moms/dads/parents can enjoy a nice dinner or see a movie, or just go home and relax!