If You like Hot Chocolate, Do You Have A FAvorite Brand?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Jan 8, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I make my own from scratch, but most times I just use a ready mix. My favorite is Swiss Miss. I realize there are some other brands alongside Swiss Miss and Nestle's, but I think Nestle is probably Swiss Miss' biggest competitor. I've tried it many times. I used to buy either one until I realized that something in the Nestle's always upsets my stomach, whereas the Swiss Miss never does. I also use the store brands pretty often. I am convinced my stomach can tell me which brand they use as some of them affect my stomach and others don't. For instance, I never have a problem with Walmart brand, but the Ingles brand gets to me every time--or it did until I quit using it.
    Of course, store brands sometimes change, so it sometimes behooves one to try again once in awhile...well, unless it might upset your stomach.

2. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own hot cocoa, I do not care for the type in envelopes at all. I use Hershey's Dark Cocoa (you can find it in the baking section of the grocery) It's three teaspoons cocoa, three teaspoons sugar and a shake of salt in milk- heat till warm but do not scald. That makes one cup. It comes out very rich. Even with the 2% milk.

I used to love Nestle Quik, but I think they have changed that formula thru the years, it is now much sweeter. I know I am a chocolate prude, I don't like when it is overly sweet. In fact I never even cared for the marshmallows because that is just to much sugar for me. On a day like today though... I could really go for a nice hot cup of cocoa ;)

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Godiva! They do hot chocolate, but it's very expensive but worth it. There are some other good brands, Green & Blacks and also Suchard which I like. I'm not a fan of the ones that are too milky though, I like a rich chocolate flavor. Quality is more important than quantity for me.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not mind eating any kind of hot chocolate as I completely love the taste. It really does not matter to me the kind of hot chocolate I eat as long as it is a hot chocolate .

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE Ghiradelli Hot Chocolate Mix! It is very rich though and so is more of a treat. Plus it is a little pricey. You can find deals though. I just found this one for a 32 ounce on Amazon.com:

(There is also a Ghiradelli Brownie mix that I ate once and I was like, 'WHAT IS THIS DELECTABLE THING???' )

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to go with the classic Swiss Miss for me. If I don't go for that then I try and be fancy with some organic brands that I know I will load up with sugar and cream.

7. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I do! I love hot chocolate :) I don't have a particular brand I like though but I just buy whatever's on sale. If I want to splurge, I get the Starbucks Peppermint Mocha. I know it's not TECHNICALLY hot chocolate but I love it :)

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Green and Black's (an English brand) make the best hot chocolate. However, it is rather expensive so I only buy it if I have an extra few pounds to spend on groceries, or if I have a coupon. The rest of the time, I just stick to Cadbury's.

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I like Godiva but I also like the World Market brand. It costs a little less than the premium brands and taste just as good, especially the dark chocolate. Some day I would like to make my own from scratch but right now, I don't have the patience.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Cadbury's isn't a choice right now in the US that I know of. At least not where I'm at, but I'm betting I would love it as I do love!, love!, love! their chocolate bars. Mmmm. I can only imagine how good their hot chocolate would be. And you say this Green and Black's is better? Oh mercy, I'm envious.:)

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to load my Swiss Miss up with lots of mini marshmallows. I'm not crazy about the little dried up ones that come in the marshmallow lovers packs, so even if I get the marshmallow lovers I still load up my cup with some real ones to boot. I like to make it as rich as I can get it.:)

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm likewise a fan of Swiss Miss, especially the dark chocolate version and the one with marshmallows. Milk is okay but it's really not my favorite. I've discovered that Swiss Miss tastes better when you put it in the microwave for a few seconds. It'll froth and taste so great. There's this Asian choco brand called Goya. They've recently branched out to hot chocolate products and it's one of my favorites next to Swiss Miss.