If You Only Have A Year To Live, What Are You Going To Do With It?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by biege • Oct 8, 2016.

1. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    We have a saying "Live your life as if it was your last day", but what if you only have a year to live, how are you going to face it?

Let's be honest, when we hear someone speak of death we always pretend that we didn't hear it. The word death for some means the end of everything, it means sadness, but for someone who experienced this with a love one, every single day to them means everything.

I've met this girl four years ago. She's 24 and I was 26. People find this girl so charming and most of the guys of her age that she know, fell in love with her. However, despite of the attention she's getting, she always ignore them. One time, I saw her in a locker room at our office, standing and just staring at the window next to her locker. I got so curious, so I walked near her and asked why she's staring at the window and she said: "I'm sorry, do I know you?". Sh***! I'm not sure how to reply, I don't even know her nor I know from what group she's in, I just met her that day. I looked again at the window but before a thought came right in, she spoke "Isn't the view so beautiful?". I stuttered as I uttered the word "Yeah!". Before I knew it, the girl that I was talking to is no longer there, she left as soon as she heard my answer. The second day, I saw her again in the locker room staring at the same window. I stood next to her and said "Sorry if I may be rude to ask, but why are you staring at the window if there's nothing to see but a water thank?" the gil laughed and asked "Sorry, I didn't get your name last time", I replied "I'm Jay and you are?" and the girl said "I'm Trish, please to meet you! I know you're curious why I'm staring at the window. Most people would just ignore the view because there's nothing good to see but a water tank. For me, whenever I look at the Window, I can see myself lying on the sand on a beach next to the man of my dreams". Ever since that day we started talking and exchanging stories.

One day, she confessed and asked me if if I could be her boyfriend since we're both not dating anyone. We were both drinking coffee that day and I almost choke by her question. "We've known each other for just two months, and it feels like I knew you for hundred of years" said Trish. I was so dumbfounded that time and don't even know how to answer her. I know that we're mutual but her initiating the question shocked and confused me and then I asked her "You know, Trish. I really like you as a man. I know our time as friends isn't that long but my feelings to you is the same. It feels like I've known you for a very long time. So, let's see how this works". Trish and I became lovers January 31st of 2012.

The next month, we've celebrated my birthday in a restaurant in Manila. While I was talking she interrupted me and said "Sorry, Jay. I have a confession to make. Please promise me that you'll listen and won't hate me for what I'm about to say". Suddenly, my heart beat raced as I softly nodded and said "Ok!". Tears started to build-up under her eyes and I was so confused. Several thoughts flew over my mind as I was waiting for her to start talking. I took a deep breath and hold her on both shoulders then said "It's OK, Trish. Whatever that is, I'm ready to hear what you're going to say. I'll just listen". "Thank you! And I'm sorry. Jay, I have cancer. The doctor said last October that I have cancer and I only have a year to live".

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I came to know that I have just one year to live I will sell all my property and other belongings first thing and go live in a guesthouse spending all my money on different fun activities what I thought will be used in my old age. And when I will have only week left I will invite all my friends and relatives for a grand party and distribute all my balance money keeping only what is enough for the rest of the six days left of my life.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If I only had one year to live, I would do the possible most difficult tasks there is so that my family can stay rich after I die. I don't know how I will do it but even if it risks my life, it doesn't matter since I will die either way. There might be openings for test subjects that will gain me a few thousand out of my participation and risk.

4. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 : Are you going to tell those people close to you about your situation? Or are you just going to keep it to yourself?
    Of course, they'll ask you why you're doing that to them.

@TheKnight@TheKnight: It's pretty difficult at first to accept that you only have few days left of your calendar. It's even harder to decide on what you're going to do with those remaining days.

I guess God is trying to tell people through experience that life is short--Since it's short, one mustn't procrastinate. We must do all of the things we want to do, so that even if it ends, we can leave the world with our legacy which one can follow and learn from it.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would only want to leave something behind for my parents and a memory that will let them know that I cared. All I want is for my family to think of me as someone who truly loved and cared for them.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @

no I won't tell them anything because that will be a situation which will make things difficult for me. I would have to face them for rest of those six days left in my life. I would rather enjoy those six days rather than facing awkward questions and sympathetic friends and relatives.

7. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight I like what you've said. I can see how you really love your parents just based on your message. If all children are like this to their parents then they are very lucky to have kids like this. But then again, we still have a long way to go, at least let's show them how deeply we care and love them.

@Ray1@Ray1 I understand what you are saying but what if they ask you what's going on? Why are you giving them so much attention now which you are not doing before? At some point, they'll be curious and start bugging you. How are you going to approach these questions then? I know you have your reasons but you know, sometimes we cannot avoid people questioning us on what we are doing. :)

#7Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Of course and the way I think shouldn't be anything special or honored but sadly, it isn't always the case. If your parents cared for us, then we should care for them. I appreciate them to death and no child should resent them.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am expecting this to happen when I become old so the question of parents will be lesser like to arise (you know what I mean). That's why I mentioned that I would like to distribute all my wealth and belongings among my friends and loved ones.

10. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah! We've going to be parents as well, so we should always do the right thing because whatever we do, it pays.

Oh. I see what you mean... I guess. Of course, parents do expect to leave their children first but my question is, what if you're the one who's about to leave early?

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be very frank that is not possible in my case because my mom and dad have already gone to make their maker. I would have certainly left everything for them if that was the case :(

12. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh. I see. I'm sorry to hear about your loss but I'm sure they are happy guiding you from above right now. My dad is there right now as well, so I'm sure your Pa and Ma are good friends with my Dad now. You know, life goes on. The best thing we can do for them now is to show them how good we are in managing our lives on earth. Thanks for sharing! :)

13. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    If i come to know that i just have a year so i'll also do the same thing i'll stop thinking about my old days will spend money in what i am planning i will do in my old days take an off from busy an hectic life and will go on an adventures tour and will try to make people happy who makes me smile and do care for me.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you so much for your good wishes. That was why I said I would leave everything for my loved ones and friends without telling them anything. I know money and property only matters to living ones but the one who is goiig to meet his maker doesn't have to worry for money etc. Thanks again I will remember this interaction for a long time.

15. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Very interesting question. First of all, I think I would keep it as much of a secret as I can. I would probably go into depression for a while after hearing the news. After recuperating.. hopefully, I would try to fix things with anyone I had problems with, I'd confess etc. I would give one person my passwords to everything I own to deactivate them after I die. Lastly, I'd game so much lol. The awkward thing is that I can say this now and die tomorrow morning. Life is so futile.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If I only had one year to live I would spend half of my time with my daughter and the other half earning money to leave for her. I would try my best to keep her happy and take her where she likes to be. Have mommy and daughter time the whole day if we can. I will find a way to make as much money as I can for her to be happy meanwhile her dad takes care of her.

17. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. Life is so short and most of us can only do a little. Perhaps I'm going to wonder how people would do around without me. Such crazy life we're in.

You cannot really compare the love of a mother to a bag of gold. My mom is like that to me as well but sometimes I get angry at her whenever she says sad things even if it's just a hint but I would be more sad if she don't say those things to me if the time comes. This happened to me and my dad before he passed away. How I missed those days when we are complete.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We never know how long we have left to live. I am almost 72, and there have been times in my life when I thought it was my last day, like a serious car accident where I was sure that I was going to die.
    I think that family is the most important thing to me in my life, and I would also want to spend as much time with my family as I could if I knew I was going to die.
    However, I am NOT a quitter, and if I had something that gave me a year to try and reverse the disease, like cancer, then I would also be changing what was necessary in my life to try and prolong life for as long as possible.
    Cancer is a good example.
    The doctors only usually treat it with radiation or chemotherapy, which is very in-effective. There are other natural methods that have a MUCH higher rate of recovery, and I would be doing that.
    All the doctors know that cancer cells live only on sugar, and if you don't eat foods that produce sugar in your blood, then they starve to death. But most doctors never tell cancer patients not to eat things like ice cream or starches like bread and pasta, so people unknowingly keep feeding the cancer that is killing them.
    Some doctors have had great success with a low-carb or ketogenic diet, because it nourishes the mind and body while starving the cancer cells.
    So, yeah, I would at least try everything that looks promising before just giving up on life.

19. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't know how I will react and what I will do. I have two small kids to take care of. I will try to do things which will make the life of my children and family easier to live without me. I know it will be difficult, but I will try to prepare them.
    However, I really hope that this does not happen to me.

20. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this very informative response, @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady. I also read about the food for cancer cells and yeah, sugar is one of the main contributor of their growth. Some doctors deny this but I guess it's because they want to promote the drugs they've help develop. If I only knew about this years ago then we might have prevented the cancer cells from spreading. I feel guilty now about feeding my girl sweets back then. Such regrets.