If You're Getting A Copy Of A Key Made, Where Do You Go?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by blurinoctober • Dec 9, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I've known a lot of people go to Walmart to save a buck, but I hear so many complaints about the keys not working correctly. I got one done at Ace Hardware and it hasn't given me one issue yet.

Do you have a place you prefer to go that doesn't charge a ton or take forever to copy your key?

2. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I usually go to walmart for my keys but when i needed a key made for my car it worked fine opening the door but didn't start the car so i guess it would be ok if i ever lock my original in the car but not as a replacement.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My go-to place for duplicate keys is Home Depot. They have a refund policy on all their keys. I have never had a problem with any of the keys I had made there.

4. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Over the past few years, for me it has been Wal-Mart. And most of the times I have gotten a key cut, at the end the rep tells me that if there is a problem just bring it back.
    Never had to do this. Price is good, and I get it done fast and I usually have something else I am there for as well.
    Ryder13

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have always gone to the local Ace Hardware store. The first time I had them make a copy of my car key, they had me test it out to make sure it worked before I had even paid for it. I do live in a small town so I am pretty sure that had something to do with it. I don't think they would let you do that in a larger town because some people would simply drive off without paying.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I always just go to home depot...they don't charge much at all and you get your key in a matter of minutes. I've never had an issue with mine working. Plus, it's really cute xD.

7. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I got to my local convenience store. It costs $4 (in my old area it cost $2) and he does a good job. It takes a couple of minutes and I can just walk back home instead of heading all the way to Wally World.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I just go to the hardware store. There's one not far from home that makes keys and I've never had a problem. A couple times I've had to go to a special place to have a key made, like my last car key, but I rarely have an issue getting keys cut or having them work. It's usually a copy of a copy that's problematic.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I just go to Wal-mart because it's convenient....not even because of the price. I can get it done in the middle of the night if I want instead of going across town to another place that may not be open. I *have* had issues a couple times, but I just take the key back and they cut me a new one.

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I would go to the hardware store as it very convenient for me. I have had a few keys duplicated this way and have been quite happy with this... I will not change a service as long as it is good.

11. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    When I get my keys made I go right to Wal-Mart to like the rest of your guys and gals. Its cheaper than a lot of either places I know. I remember paying about $25 by a place by my house before I knew about Wal-mart.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it works the same way in other countries but in the UK you tend to find key-cutting services in the same shop as shoe repair. There is a local shop just down the road from me that has been there since the beginning of time and it is the only place I ever go.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Sears. They will do the job quickly, and accurately. Or, just a local key shop that is set up, where all they do is make keys.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My go to place is Home Depot, I had an old car key that most places told me they could not replace. I went to Home Depot and they made the key with no problem. I have had a few keys made that did not work but it was finally worked out.

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is only one place i go to get my copy keys and that's home depot they are pretty cheap and i never had issues with my keys plus i can decorate my keys too so that's pretty cool.

16. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that happening before! Maybe I just too rarely venture into a shoe repair shop, but that sounds really different and neat to me.

17. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    The local hardware stores around my area will cut keys for anywhere between $1.25 and $2, and it literally takes about 45 seconds for the whole process. This was true in every neighborhoood I've lived in in New York. I've never had to go to a chain store or department store to get keys cut.

18. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    You can try Ace Hardware. Most cities have one close by. I always use Walmart and it works fine for me.

19. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    In the UK, I used to go to shoe repair kiosks like Deansaliba described. Here in Spain, I go to a local hardware shop, or fereteria. They charge 1 Euro, which is a little over a dollar, and less than a UK pound, and I only had a problem once, when the owner's son cut the key and it didn't work. The owner replaced it with no problem. All our neighbours use the same place, and nobody has ever had to return a key.

I prefer to use small outfits like this rather than the big supermarkets, who also offer key cutting services. An extra Euro is neither here nore there to the likes of Carrefour, but it makes a difference to a small independent retailer.

20. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I got some done at walmart once and it didn't work at all. Now I've had others at walmart that do work. I typically go to a hardware store though.