If You're Getting A Copy Of A Key Made, Where Do You Go?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by blurinoctober • Dec 9, 2012.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    There is an Ace Hardware very close to where I live so I just get them done there. When I needed a copy of a car key made I had to go to a special place, though. I find that when you get a key made and it doesn't work well, it's usually because it was a copy from another copy.

2. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I go to home depot or Lowes to get my keys copied. Unless its a car key then I will go to the dealership i purchased it from.

3. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    My personal favorites are Home Depot or any hardware store that is near me. In many cases that I've heard Walmart has made some kind of mistake with the keys that left the customers unhappy. Therefore when it comes to duplicating keys I would without a doubt pay more to get more quality.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I go to walmart and I have never had an issue. I mean sometimes I do end up wating for ever but it's cheap and doesn't take long once they make it. I have never had a key from them not work so i'm happy going to walmart for my keys.

5. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Hardware stores can do most keys. However, I found out a few years ago, that certain older car keys can't be done at hardware stores. I had to go to a locksmith to get a copy of my Chevy Lumina key after I broke it.

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    For normal household keys, i usually go to the local hardware store because my parents know the owner so we always get a special price.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a new thing this morning at Walmart that looked kind of fun. It was a vending machine that cuts keys. Supposedly you put in money and the key you want copied and the machine produces a key in colors and patterns, like a Tinkerbell key or pink key, or a key that lights up when you push a button. It looks like fun to have custom keys made in different designs, but I would be worried that the vending machine would take my money or my key. Have you guys seen those key vending machines at any of your local Walmarts?

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also had some keys duplicated at Ace Hardware, and they worked perfectly fine. I haven't tried having my keys duplicated anywhere else.

9. Alexxx

AlexxxNew Member

Threads:
    PEP BOYS was quick, easy and $2 a key. Worked great! Just went today.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a small independent hardware store at the top of my street and I always go there. He's cheaper than the main national chain and he's a nice guy. Never had any problems.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    In Canada I go to Canadian Tire they do a great job cutting keys. I also like Home Depot and Home Hardware. I'm not a huge fan of Walmart and from what I'm reading they don't do a great job. Stick with places that do a good job, nothing more frustrating than getting key made and it doesn't work because it wasn't cut properly.

12. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I always prefer to go to a local hardware store for these. They usually do a better job and don't make you wait as long. Also, I'd rather support small businesses, and little services like this are a good chance for me to take a look into a local store and see what their pricing and merchandise selection is like.

13. CCarpenter

CCarpenterNew Member

Threads:
    I choose where I want to get my key made depending on what type of key I need. If it is just a regular key blank, then your local hardware stores like Lowes or Home Depot should do the trick, although its always hard to find someone to help you there. If its a car key that I need made and it has to be programmed then I go with a locksmith or a dealer. I always try and gauge the prices before I go:

This way i can figure out how much I have to spend, or I can try and get it done cheaper somewhere else.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have a specific place I go to duplicate my key, this is a thing I do once in a long while when I share apartment with others. My last key duplication was at a local store Mr Quality. It was done perfect I never had any difficulty using the key right from the time it was duplicated, it was a one touch. I really do not think name of the company matter when it comes to quality services in this regard.

15. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is an Ace Hardware in the nearest mini mall here together with a Mr. Quickie. The 2 shops are both respectable and trusted with a warranty on their products and services. However, Ace Hardware is more expensive when it comes to key duplication so my impulse is to have the copy made by Mr. Quickie. But when I would be shopping for hardware materials, it is a given that I would go to Ace so the key can be duplicated while I am shopping.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had a copy of a key made yet, but I think once I will need to do that then I will just go to Ace Hardware as well. They have lots of stores over here and that is quite convenient for me.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Here where I live there are stands of people who are experts on doing key copies. I have done this a couple times and I have been happy with the results. The stands can be found in almost every corner of the main streets and some near convinient places. This are stands of people who own their own key copying buisness.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went to Walmart for house keys and it was cheap and fast. I came home trying it out and it was fine. I'll go to Walmart. I always went to Sears too, I like and trust Sears, so I went to them for keys too. I was at Walmart customer service and noticed the key making stand and saw it was just a little over a dollar, so I remembered. The next time I needed a key made I went to Walmart. Happy with the keys I've made at Walmart.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    In my country, you will not have to necessarily go to that big hardware and household establishments like True Value and the likes. There are many small locksmiths establishments where you may go and have the job professionally done.