If you're looking to buy a game I suggest Origin

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Carles • Mar 1, 2014.

1. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    I have bought several games from them and there prices are always really good. A lot of times they also have deals or promotions, so you can get games even cheaper. What sites do you use to buy games?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Ew, I can't stand Origin! Their platform is so glitchy. :S

Steam certainly isn't perfect, but I much prefer them for buying and playing games through. They have even more promos and deals, and I have a lot of friends who use it, so I can play with them directly through the system.

3. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    The only problems I've had with Origin are not being able to connect to servers or activate games but it's faster than Steam. I like how they let you return games within a certain time period too but I never buy games on Origin unless they're exclusive and other sites have better sales.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Although I don't game on PCs but if I have to choose I'd rather go with Steam judging from people's evaluation on it. Steam has a lot of deals and sales like the Humble Bundle and Steam Sales. The prices of games can get really cheap when a sale is happening. I have many friends that saved a lot of money every year just waiting for Steam sales. In contrast, I rarely hear anyone buy games on Origin.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Well that's kind of a big deal, don't you think? Ha! That would prevent a person from playing a game immediately after purchasing it....and potentially not being able to play at other times, which is the main problem I have run into. Steam has some down time here or there, but I've never encountered them to the extent that Origin seems to have.

6. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, you're right. It is glitchy like you described it. I tend to forget about these issues because I don't use Origin as much. Steam's service is definitely better. The only problem I had with Steam is that the interface is slow and responsive sometimes but I installed a minimal skin and it's nice and fast now.

7. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I have one game with Origin - Mass Effect 3 (Just love the Space Opera RPG genre). I think Origin has segment to enter a discount code as well but I've never been able to find a working code when I got ME3.

I prefer using Steam myself for games and I always come back to check out their end of year deals - just around Christmas time, you'll find massive saving with a lot of games.

Indie developers are tending to use Steam a lot to self launch their games as well, you can support them buy prepurchasing an early version if you think their idea is good.

8. tony

tonyNew Member

Threads:
    I don't like origin it has top much server problem

9. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    I've been planning to check out Steam. You're right about Origin being glitchy. I just hope Steam has the games I want.

Okay, wow. I retract my original statement to use Origin. Definitely use Steam, I just checked it out and the prices were so much better. Thank you everyone for suggesting it. I'm gonna save so much more.

#9Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  10. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I have to disagree with your suggestion there, Origin is a glitchy and buggy platform for games. That isn't even taking into consideration who owns Origin, EA squeezes every dollar out of games. I'd recommend Steam for the popularity and the seasonal sales that are hard to pass up. My computer doesn't really run games anymore so I'm stuck on console but I would recommend Steam wholeheartedly.

11. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't Origin only EA games though? As far as I know Origin is owned by EA and is the only place where you can buy EA games but also only EA games? I'm quite happy with Steam in terms of an online marketplace myself, might check out Origin though if I ever wanted to get into Battlefield or something.