If You've Seen Something Cheaper Elsewhere, Haggle

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Apr 22, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping around [comparing prices] is always great because you never will pay more than you should for anything. While most stores may not price match before leaving the store you should do some haggling, point out that the item is cheaper elsewhere and you could get a discount. If they aren't willing to slash the prices you could go shop elsewhere. But haggle first because it could save you some gas money if the other store offering lower prices is a little further off.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, I know people who simply refuse to buy anything without haggling first. -and I hate them so much. I hate them because that's exactly what I would like to be able to do, to have the confidence and tenacity to go at it and not give up until the store caves in hehe. Some of my friends have made it into an art form! But I'm getting better and better at it. There used to be a time when I felt it was a bit off to do it, but now I try my luck from time to time, even when I don't a bargaining tool LOL.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In malls, it is very rare that you can haggle. But in the flea market, I always scout for the cheapest. Let's say clothes, I would roam the clothing section to get the best price. At least I would have a realistic amount for haggling because I usually haggle on the third store (the first 2 stores are canvassing for prices only). And even with food items, I can ask for discounts no matter if it is only cents. It's a great feeling to go home with the thought that I had saved monay on the discounts I got.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As haggling over price for virtually everything you buy is common place where I live and particularly where big ticket items are concerned - yes I'm a great believer in the - “ if you don't ask you don't get “ theory - and at all times too.

Especially as I've found that it more often than not pays off - in one way or another - as even though it may not always result in a discount on the item you are buying - you generally land up with more than you would have done - had you not asked - as the majority of retailers are usually more than willing to throw in something extra.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never done this. Some retailers and supermarkets will promote this technique though. Places like Asda, which is a supermarket chain over here in the UK, have adverts that state, if you can find their products elsewhere with lower prices, let them know and they will match the difference. I have never actually done it though. i probably should do it more often.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Haggling is also my weakness, unlike my mother who is an expert haggler. I mean, I have tried and tried to haggle but ultimately, fail and pay the exact price of the item I am buying. I'm just very bad at it, maybe it's my introvert personality or my natural shyness that prevents me from being a good haggler. My mother is very confident whenever we go shopping, especially in flea markets. And if she spots a good deal, it's certain that she will haggle her way into it.

But there are some stores here where haggling isn't permitted. The likes of supermarkets, groceries, department stores and mall stalls, it's quite hard to haggle in these places, if it's even permitted. One local place, called Divisoria, is the haggling capital of our country. Haha! Here, you can haggle to your heart's content. The goods though aren't always high quality so you need to be very observant.

Still, haggling is a great way of getting a nice discount. I'm still mastering this art though! Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to become an expert haggler.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Even though many retailers promote this in their TV adverts, I still find that most people will not haggle. People do not want to come across as cheapskates, or or nitpicking. It is just easier for a lot of people to go into a place and pay full price rather than risking social standing haggling.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Here we have specific places where you are allowed to haggle and sometimes it is even encouraged. If I went to a boutique store and started to question their prices, even if I did know that they were cheaper somewhere else I think I'd just get funny looks. Also given that people here are very straightforward I think I'll just be told to go to that other store where it is cheaper, or if not I will maybe just get that from the vibe they send or something. Still, I agree that whenever it is possible it should definitely be taken advantage of.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yep, it is very similar over here in the UK. The only types of stores that promote and encourage haggling is grocery retailers. But when it comes to beauty stores, or any other type of store, it is frowned upon. You must pay the requested price and that is that as far as they are concerned, unless you are dealing with market stores? You can haggle with them all day.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Many people don't realise that you can do this, but in the majority of countries you absolutely can. I will always ask stores whether they would be able to do a better deal for me, and sometimes they can and others they can't. But you may as well at least ask them, as you're never going to know unless you do! This is certainly the key point, as you could be missing out on a lot of wonderful discounts if you don't manage to pluck up the courage to ask about it.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haggling is allowed in lower end stores over here, but not in big malls. I sometimes try to haggle when buying stuff, but the vendors that I've talked to say that that is their "last price" already. So I have no choice but to pay for the regular price.