Ikea Furniture

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 25, 2012.

1. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I've been in Ikea and some of their products look nice and some of them just look too cheap. I really haven't bought much of anything there. I was wondering about getting a side table they have and was wondering if their furniture holds up. Has anyone bought any of their furniture? Does it stay nice or show wear and tear easily?

2. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I've personally never been to IKEA, but love the look of their stuff online. From what I've read, their furniture can be hit or miss. I read a review recently in which the guy said the actual furniture was great, but the parts to assemble it were cheap and didn't fit correctly. I think when buying new furniture, it's always better to follow the "you get what you pay for" motto.

3. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I love IKEA!!! My home furniture is ALL Ikea. This may be a biased post since I love the store so much but I will inform you as much as I can. The main reason why I purchase Ikea over other brands is because of the versatility of the product. These items are not meant to last forever precisely for the same reason why they make them so interchangable - STYLE CHANGES!! You can have a blue couch today, a beige one in 6 months, a floral one in a year and it would still be the same couch, just a different couch cover. The same applies to almost everything at ikea, you can make a computer desk into a couch table, a shelf on the wall into a shoe cubbie in your closet - the possibilities are endless! The more expensive items really are great quality but if you buy their more reasonably priced items you will be purchasing something that should last you a couple of years so long as you take good care of it and remember - you can interchange almost anything on anything with anything in the store so you really do make your own furniture and style. You should visit an Ikea store , it helps to get a grasp of just how far out of the box they have thought furniture out

4. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    i love ikea but some of the items from there do have a tendencies look cheap. it's kind of hit or miss.

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I've been considering IKEA furniture, but the reviews are so conflicting. The stuff looks great on their website, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily hold up. I love the modern style furniture, though. However, I would rather pay more for quality furniture that will last for 15 to 20 years than less expensive furniture that will look dingy in a couple years.

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I love IKEA. I have one within like 3 miles or so from me and we visit it as much as we need. We do buy a lot of the crappy stuff just because sometimes we need to fill a space or spruce up an extra bedroom and don't need the highest quality. I can't say I bought anything that didn't last a while though.

7. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm. I love Ikea for the price, the building adventures with crazy Swedish manuals, and for the style.

But everything I've bought from Ikea has been their lower end products and every product has shown wear a little quicker than I would like.

I've had my side tables for years (~10) and while I still use them, they are scratched and don't shine anymore. My bookshelves I finally left behind a year ago because they were falling apart. I still use my bed frame as a spare room, but it is scratched and the slats fall out under too much pressure.

Summary: cheap price means you get what you pay for. But the quality and style are both higher than WalMart.

8. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    Most of the furniture in my house at the moment is from IKEA - everything from our sofas and armchairs, to our main dining table and a lot of bar stools, as well as parts of our kitchen (I've recently renovated part of it and used IKEA products to do so. The other half is still needing to be done).

I haven't had an issue with any of them and all of my experiences with the place have been really good. I have heard stories of things going wrong, but I think it all depends on the specific store as well as which types of furniture you buy. Regardless of that, all of their products are really easy to assemble, come with great picture instructions and, so far, don't break too easily at all.

9. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    IKEA seems to make decent products as long as you don't plan to move. We've heard and experienced ourselves that IKEA stuff does not hold up well when you get PCS orders to a new base :)

10. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of IKEA. I find that most of their furniture is simply designed, well-made, and durable. They definitely carry quality products; as far as showing wear and tear goes, I don't think their furniture shows any more or any less wear and tear than any other brand.

11. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the replies! I think I will try one piece of furniture from there soon and see how it works for me. I live less than 10 miles away from the store and have gone there for lunch and then bought a few accessories. I have liked the few things I bought there before (never furniture though). It seems like a lot of people have had a pretty good experience with them. Plus if it doesn't hold up that well, it's inexpensive so it shouldn't be a huge loss.

12. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I mean, it is cheap, but not necessarily in a bad way. You can furnish a whole room or apartment and make it look nice on a really tight budget. IKEA was kind of a God send when I was in college and just out of it. I recommend it if you're looking for a good deal or on a budget. I love their slippers too.

13. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirlMember

Threads:
    The key with ikea is to actually spend money there. Their cheaper items definitely don't hold up. I have two different shelf systems from there. One is the Billy bookshelf and the other is the Besta wall unit (also shelves). The Billy bookshelves definitely did not hold up. I am still using them after buying them in 2007 but I have moved several times and the backing is falling apart and they are not as stable as they once were. On the other hand the Besta system is a lot more sturdy. The pieces to put it all together are made of metal instead of wood. The shelves, sides, and backing are all a lot thicker. I would also be able to easily take it apart during a move and reassemble without any defects. So, spend a little more money for better quality and it's still cheaper than other places.

14. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    thats the same thing with everything yes? Spend a little more money and you'll find better quality? Ikea has always been ok for me. I mean I honestly think you get what you pay for . If you pay cheap, then....you get cheap.

15. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    They actually closed down the IKEA nearest to my house. I went there when they first opened over 20 years ago. At that time, everything did look cheaply made. I actually bought a 4-drawer dresser from them 15 years ago. After building it, I did notice that things started to get loose on it, even though every screw was tightened. Then when I moved a couple years later, my friend was carrying this dresser by himself and, I swear, the whold thing just fell apart into pieces as he was carrying it. He apologized profusely, but I told him not to worry about it because if was cheap to begin with. I never bought anything from there since.

16. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I personally love Ikea and really haven't had a negative experience. Certain pieces will last for years and years and some will fall apart. You just have to use your best judgement and know that is the piece is super inexpensive, don't expect it to last forever. But if it will suits your needs for the time being, I still think its worth it. I have an Ikea desk that is still very much in tact and looks amazing, and it has been moved a couple times.

17. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    A co-worker and I bought quite a few pieces of furniture and wall decor from Ikea in order to redecorate the office. I have to say the quality was so so. My co-worker absolutely loves Ikea and swear by them. I had not been to the store before, so I though it sounded like a good idea. I was very impressed with the set up and everything, but I was very surprised at the prices. Things were expensive! What we could afford was priced well, but it's not quality. The frames are coming apart and I replaced them with similar priced frames from Wal-Mart which held up a lot better! The chairs we bought aren't very sturdy either. They work for us in the office, but if we had a heavy set client (not even overly heavy), I'm not sure the chair would hold up. As for the coffee tables we bought, they seem to be holding up, but we don't put a lot on them. I honestly will not shop at Ikea again. It just isn't worth it.

18. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I like ikea, but I would not purchase furniture from this store because they look cheaply made. I buy most of their decorative accessories. I prefer to buy wooden furniture from my local furniture store.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love IKEA and my $7 IKEA Lack side table has lasted me 4 years so far, that's like $1.75 a year, so even if it fell apart tomorrow,I've still gotten a lot of use out of it. I wish I'd heard of IKEA when I was in college. I overpaid for all my dishes and kitchen stuff. The $4.99 cooking wok at IKEA works well as long as you take care of it.

20. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    ikea was my best friend when i went to university. Seriously. I guess regardless if it's cheap, you buy what you can afford.