I'm thinking about going no TV at all on my house. Who's on board?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Colebra • Aug 15, 2014.

1. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    We have a few tvs, but we just hooked them up to the internet and watch Netflix on them. We bought Roku boxes, which have apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc. We watch the news with an old fashioned antenna. It sucks at first, but we adjusted pretty quickly, and it saves a few hundred dollars a month.

2. EvanCross19

EvanCross19Member

Threads:
    I am totally with you on this one. I can't stand most of what is on TV networks anyway, especially the commercials. If you ask me, they overprice for all of that stuff anyway. They make millions from advertisers, but still charge customers ridiculous amounts for low quality TV. That's enough of my rant for now. I rarely watch anything and when I do, it's a movie on Netflix or an original series. I do miss some of the educational channels such as The History Channel, but I can get my history fix online anyway. Living smart definitely pays off.

3. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    I haven't watched the TV in past 2 years or so. I just use it for background music sometimes, and to hook up my PS3 when my friends come over.

I can watch all the shows I want to on Netflix or I can simply download them. Better quality, no advertisements, custom subtitles if needed, etc. There's just no point in owning a TV for me.

4. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I don't have TV at all. Well I do, it's just that I don't watch live TV, and neither does my parents, as we don't really watch English TV shows (My parents don't even speak English XD). So therefore we just hook up a PC to the big screen and stream available dramas online. So I think in our case, TV would just be a waste of money for us.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a TV for nearly 5 years now. I started getting annoyed with the idiotic programs, the endless advertisements, and the constant hyping up of the noise. I gave my TV away to charity and have never missed it. These days I find TV's more than just annoying. I feel like they are an intrusion into my privacy and inner wellbeing, as all they do is pump out rubbish three quarters of the time. I can't stand being around them or people who watch a lot of television.

6. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used cable service for quite some time. I'm definitely on board with you as far as only needing my internet. All of my favorite shows, I can watch online anyway. I'm currently running my computer through a 40 inch monitor, so movies games, etc is all used in this she device. I think i spend 90% more time online then watching tv anyway.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I watch tv , but most of my time is spent on the internet. So I never really thought about doing away with my cable but now that I think about it. This would save me alot of money I have dish network and it goes up and down and the service is not go good. That will be something Im going to think about cause some of the local chanels are not even available in our area.

8. Frendminge

FrendmingeNew Member

Threads:
    I don't own a tv, but maybe at some point i might get one. As for tv series, movies or news. those i do watch on internet. But once your married and have a son i guess you do need a tv.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    TV sucks nowadays. I actually got rid of my TV back in 2005 and ever since I never missed that rotten bastard. And having no TV means you got not ditractions at all, so I'm pretty much very productive all the times and made a lot of progress in my career which means I'm making more money that usual, which makes me want to buy a nice 80 inch TV.... oh wait.

10. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know about giving up TV altogether. I confess that I am a TV addict, but I have been thinking about cutting the cable cord. I think that Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube will give me all of the shows and movies I could ever want. Getting rid of cable will save me a nice chunk of change every month.

11. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use an cable service at all for last 2 ears. I's all going great for me. If you are doing it as well, you are definitely going to save some money. Why use cable when you have got a good internet speed? Yes, am going to miss out on a couple of shows, but that's about it.