Immersion Blender

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Diane Lane • Nov 3, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've wanted an immersion blender for years. I love the idea of being able to simply stick it in a pot or bowl and blend the concoction I'm making, without having to get out a larger mixer. My stand mixer died earlier this year, and all I have currently is a cheap hand mixer which doesn't even reach the bottom of my mixing bowls. I was whizzing through the kitchen aisles at Walmart yesterday and saw an immersion blender at a low cost, so I started wondering about them again. Hopefully at some point soon I'll be able to buy one, but of course, I want to do some research first, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has a recommendation.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I have one of those, but I rarely use it. I guess I just don't see the need. At the same time, I don't think I am going to sell it because I would likely find a need for it as soon as I did. I would look on Ebay, I would be willing to bet someone got one as a Christmas present and never used it. It is one of those kind of items.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Having bought an inexpensive immersion blender some 15 years or so ago - purely as stand in to tide me over whilst my jug blender was being repaired and have found much to my surprise - although it could never replace my jug blender or food processor - that my very basic immersion blender has proved to be an extremely worthwhile investment - especially as - not only is it extremely useful for preparing small batch recipes like pesto, salsa, fruit and vegetable purees or for thickening soups - that really don't warrant using a table top device - but its so much easier and quicker to clean than the other appliances too.

I can honestly say that - immersion blenders are an ideal choice for those that mainly only prepare small batches of food - in fact as they've changed a lot since I got mine and you can now get models that come with all kinds of extra attachments - as well as more powerful motors - if you mainly only prepare small quantities of food - its certainly worth investigating further and doing some price comparisons on the various models - especially as some are now so sophisticated - that they are considered a more cost effective option to a worktop mixer.

Oh and if looking for good deals - Amazon is worth a look - as they've got loads of great deals on blenders right now.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have an immersion blender that I don't use that often. I use it if I'm making a cream soup and want to blend it in the pot. It's much easier than pouring the soup into the blender and pureeing. My immersion blender also has an attachment to turn it into a hand chopper. I didn't really like the chopper attachment and would recommend buying one that is solely a immersion blender. They come down in price a lot since I bought mine. I would buy a good brand name one like Kitchenaid or Cuisinart. They make good small appliances and have good warranties.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there are some situations where the immersion blender would be the best tool, but I would never buy one thinking that it was going to replace my hand mixer or my regular blender. I don't think an immersion blender would be good to make whipped potatoes or mix up some frosting, for example. But they do seem ideal for pan sauces and soups, since pouring hot liquids into a regular blender is more dangerous, as you have to keep an eye on it and a towel over the lid to keep it from exploding.

I bought one like 20 years ago, back when they started to be featured a lot in infomercials, and were just starting to show up on store shelves at our local department stores. I think it was a Braun immersion blender if I recall correctly. It was cheap, around $25, and not designed very well. Plus the motor in it was really weak, so it didn't work well at all. I couldn't whip up mayonnaise like they do on TV and it never seemed to whip up cream into whipped cream either. It just mixed things, but not with enough force or speed to give them body.

If you are in the market for one, I would probably avoid the cheapest models, and perhaps go for something higher powered.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 I had a friend who was attending culinary school, and that's where I got my introduction to immersion blenders. I was over there and we were making Thanksgiving dinner, and she made the mashed potatoes in the pot she cooked them in, using an immersion blender. I'd never even heard of one before that. I thought I wouldn't like the potatoes that way, but they were creamy and delicious.

@purplepen88@purplepen88 I love the idea of being able to use an immersion blender for making creamy soups. I tend to lean toward Cuisinart appliances and pans, so that's probably going to be my first choice. I'm hoping to see some good deals coming up soon, since the Christmas holiday shopping will be commencing soon :).