Impolite Sales Persons

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by gracer • Mar 11, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Sales persons encounter alot of people with various dispositions and idiosyncracies. They also encounter rude customers and this affects their temperament. But this is not am alibi for their misconduct. Thats why some careers should be taken by people with the right dispositions. For example, a hostile type A personality cannot cope with some weaknesses from petty customers.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people seem to be complaining about sales people, or staff approaching them and being pushy. But I have not experienced that in years, and I have found that you only really encounter that kind of sales person in certain kinds of stores. When I go to the supermarket to get groceries, no one ever bothers me. But when it comes to other types of shops, they will sometimes silently follow you around.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    This is one thing I also don't like when going to certain shops - being followed around as though you're going to steal from their store. That's the feeling I get when a sales person constantly follows me around. Although I do need to have some sort of assistance at times, I also need my free space when I look around for things I need.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The US is very different from the UK where staff are sometimes on commission only or their job is based on their sales, so many do follow customers and greet them.

I will probably be the odd one out on this thread, having worked in retail (how many of you complainers have actually worked in retail and not just part-time the odd day?). While yes, there does need to be a level of service, one must be realistic about the service where you are. I mean, if I go to Gucci I will get better service than say if I go to Macy's or T J Maxx where staff have more than one task to do, as they are not allowed to just stand and wait for customers.

I loathe people who complain unnecessarily, because retail is a tough job, plus I have worked as a mystery shoppers for many retail companies and have to stand around waiting to be approached and have had to time it. In this case, I assume as it was a couple the assistant thought the wife would help, as normally they do.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel this guy was being rude! I too hate being followed around and being watched as if I'm being suspected of less than noble intentions, if I'm being honest. If I'm to go off the sort of training I received from years of training in customer facing situations, I'd say it's ok to greet customers briefly as they come in.

Then you leave them alone to do their thing while keeping a casual eye on them to ensure they don't feel neglected if they do need assistance. Meaning if you do notice they could do with some help, you do need to approach them with a smile and ask if they're ok, could you help? If it's a no, you back away and offer them to feel free to give you a shout if they do need you later; basically making them feel as at home as you possibly can.

I'm pretty sure this is universal practice wherever you go in the world.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, over here in the UK, we have many stores where people's earnings depend upon how many sales they are able to make. This is not common with places where you would buy groceries or anything like that, and more common with technological products and stores. I can understand those that work on commission following you around, even though it is still annoying lol.

7. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't agree with you more. I think that is the rightest way to deal with customers too. Being treated well while shopping or looking around gives the customer a wonderful shopping experience that would make them become repeat customers. After all, that is the aim of a store - to give the best service to their customers so they would purchase and become repeat or regular buyers at their store. For me, a good customer service is part of a good shopping experience. :)

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I can't recall having a bad experience yet with a salesman/saleslady, but I won't really mind if he was just standing there unless I really needed his help. I prefer no person to be all over me like a hawk as I am shopping.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly, the customer service delivery; excellent customer service delivery is all part of the experience! I've worked in customer service delivery, both face to face and in a contact centre setting for years, and even have qualifications for it. In my previous job before this one, I used to get a lot of mentions for good service delivery, from internal customers, management and external customers. You really have to like people and like helping them, otherwise there's just no point. IDK, it just came naturally to me and I would even get approached to train the newbies and show them the ropes. A lot of people don't realise this, but a lot goes into customer service, a lot of which is down to good social skills, simple common sense and common courtesy.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, it also depends on what you are buying. Clearly the OP had certain expectations that weren't met, and most people in this thread seem to appear to need help. I actually don't need any help when I shop except for someone to check if they have another size in the back or if something is out of stock on the shelf. I am very self-sufficient, but there does appear to be a type of shopper that needs their hands to be held and flattered. I'm not one of them.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    If they are just standing there, there is no harm done, unless I am getting the sense that they are standing there because they want to watch me and make sure that I am not partaking in anything untoward. I mean, I know that that is also part of their job, to make sure nothing fishy is going on, and that nobody is stealing anything, but I don't like being profiled.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, Well that's where shoppers differ, I guess. I just don't like it when some retail workers don't even smile or greet people, I have encountered "very serious" sales people like cashiers or vet assistants that don't even smile! :D

@DreekLass@DreekLass, Well they can watch me from a distance all they want, as long as they aren't being intrusive and interrupting my shopping experience. :)

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with some of the other posters on here - some of us prefer to be left alone and not having a pushy salesperson following us around the store bothering us. I used to live near a mall and shop at Dillard's a lot, and one of the sales people there was constantly trying to make small talk with me over stuff that was really none of her business. She would loudly make assumptions about what size I was looking for, making remarks about how I frequently buy a particular brand of clothing (which was basically a back-handed crack saying I dress boringly), etc... I would avoid shopping there whenever I saw her working a shift.

The salesperson might have been acting kind of catty though by constantly re-organizing every item your husband was done trying on - as if to point out your making a mess of his section.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    I love it when the reatil workers don't smile or greet me. Half the time, I don't want to have to be bothered with other people, but I am forced to interact because I had to go to the shop to get something. So when I go somewhere and people are stone-faced, I like it lol. As long as they are not outwardly aggressive or moany to me, I don't mind.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's how I feel. G'head and hate people and your job, just stay over there and let me do my thing lol. I'm not paying to get my butt kissed, I'm paying for a product. I couldn't care less about customer service, it all feels so false.. you aren't my servant. Just let me grab my items, take credit for the sale and I'll be on my way lol. Sucks that so many are paid to harrass though.. I feel bad for them.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, As for me I also don't mind poker-faced salesmen as long as they aren't grumpy and will respond to me in a friendly or accomodating way when I ask something to them. It's awkward to talk to someone who isn't welcoming and looks like they would rather be somewhere else, you know?

17. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Well you really can't blame the guy for not getting involved, I mean sure it's kinda rude since it's their job to help you on your purchase but I've seen some people actually being annoyed with the salesperson to the point that they would verbally abuse them. I guess it's just his way of getting neutral and staying away from potential trouble.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is something that I hate is well, it is one of my pet peeve's. I agree with someone that commented that they don't like someone on their feet asking how they're doing and what would they like, I am like that as well. But the job with the sales person is to help, they don't need to be on your feet all the time, but the least they can do is a knowledge you were at the store, offer you a smile a welcome and mention they're there if you need them. That is enough... And not that hard to master!

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL. I agree. I have been in those situations, and I can't stomach them. Sometimes though it is not even that the clerks are kissing my ass. Sometimes they just want to make conversation, and I am not really in the mood. I am aware of how miserable I probably sound, but sometimes I just don't want to have to interact, and when I am forced to, I don't want to have to fake anything - a laugh, a smile, anger, etc... Just let me go about my business.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I assume the ones who are extra friendly are the ones who are on a quota based employment, Lol. I know that some companies terminate employees if they don't reach their monthly quota, so you can't blame them for being "extra friendly". Lol.