Important Things To Keep In Mind When Purchasing Used Cars

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by pfaemaster • Jul 3, 2014.

1. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    I am planning to purchase my first car next month. I know that I will purchase a used car (mainly because of my budget), and wanted some ideas and tips when deciding on the car. Do you suggest that I purchase from a dealer, classifieds (newspaper and online), and any other important things that I should consider before making the purchase.

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    In making your purchase, it's important to give careful thought to a number of factors, and also to include the following tips, based on advice researched on carsguide.com.au:

1. Put a cap on the amount that you're willing to spend, and also the amount that you are likely to end up spending. In order to accurately determine this, you'll have to go beyond finding out how much the used car that you're interested in actually costs. You'll have to now factor in the cost of insuring it, of licensing and registering it, and also the cost of getting it maintained.

2. Don't put your eggs all in one basket. In this context that we have before us, this old adage simply means that you should do a serious search, whether online, or "window shopping" across used car marts, asking the right questions to the relevant people; this research will prevent you from "settling" for something that only appears to be a "bargain", but for which, after you have paid a reasonable, but not-so-reasonable price for your used vehicle, it only then comes to your attention that there was actually something similar and better on the market, for a more affordable price; and finally

3. Check the car's history. So, at this point, you've either narrowed down your possibilities to a very "slim few", or you've chosen "THE car", so you're viewing it, it's gorgeous, and the price is right up your alley. Well, your job isn't finish yet! You've got to ensure that you personally ask the used car's dealer what the vehicle's history is like, because although a car may look absolutely pristine, it could very well have received a good set of body work and a sparkling paint job, which is covering up the true "wreck" that's underneath!

All the best in your search and conquest friend!

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Since you're buying a used car and your first ever car too, I strongly suggest that you bring a good mechanic along with you to check out the car/s that you're interested in. It's natural for most sellers not to tell the real condition of the car that they're selling since they don't want to mention anything that might jeopardize the deal. :)

4. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the input, peeps!

I'm just about to get my first card, which is going to be a used one, obviously, so this is good to know.

I'll be sure to get a mechanic with me, great advice eppie!

5. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have had some real problems buying used cars. At the moment, I haven't even got one because the car I have had for the past year had to be scrapped. It was nothing but trouble for the whole time I had it. I intend to take the AA out with me next time as they do a service where they assess a car for you.